Your Choice Between Premium Hatchbacks and Budget Sedans?

Your Pick?

• Total voters
Re: Comparison Between Hatchbacks v/s Sedans

This sedan was more powerful than the hatchback(swift D) in terms of cc and bhp.Moreover it had no turbo lag.As per my uncle who too bought swift D along with us,the sedan had superior dynamics too.It had a much better back seat, and a boot too and we did had long journeys in it and a lot of praises from many people who have driven it and got a ride in it.
+1. This is one of the biggest USPs for sedans.

We did miss the the big boot.We ended up having very very less long journey.Some times out swift's boot is filled to the brim and we passengers carried some of the luggage.
This is what I was trying to say earlier also. You stop going for long journeys for fun if you don't have sedan. You have some mood & you pack off & leave. Same is not possible in hatch. And hiring a UV & then going somewhere, puts-off that sudden urge of going out somewhere. It is like, forget it, lets then plan more precisely & then hire a UV/SUV. This doesn't happen if you own a sedan.

And carrying goods on lap is really bad & uncomfy on journeys. But hey, there are some who are hell bent on avoiding 'trolley' or boot even if it means carrying goods in lap. These people treat goods the same way as a human being.[lol]

But what we got is peace of mind.Our swift is fruagal yet peppy.Not to mention the best in class ASS.These hatches are very comfortable in the city.My mother do love sedan but she don't want suffer with a sedan in a crowded city.
You could have got peace of mind even if you had bought SX4. Both Maruti, same engine but better tuned for power, plus boot & better comfort.

Thread Starter #47

1):All the safety equipment like ABS,Airbags etc
2):Comfort.
3):1.5 i-vtec
4):Performance and FE higher than any premium hatch(Polo/Fabia 1.2/1.6,Punto 1.2/1.4,i-20)
5):A big and comfy cabin mated with a big boot for luggage.
6):Center locking,all four power windows,electrically adjustable ORVMs,tilt adjustable steering wheel etc etc..
When I say features, I really mean features.

Whatever you have mentioned, I consider that as "standard equipment" on a car costing above 5 Lacs.

7):And most important "IT IS A HONDA CITY"
So?

Well,buddy as much I remember I have a net driving experience of over 2 lac kms till date
How come?

and in all this I have driven each and every hatch in the country from Maruti 800 to VW Beetle.
That's good.

And you know what after driving them all and removing the Beetle from the list none of the premium hatches ever had enough guts to score higher on my scale.In fact none of the hatches except Polo 1.6 ever pleased me more than the City in terms of driving experience.But then it scored lower than City in other fields.
But that's just your point of view.

I dont think I have a driving experience of 2 Lac kms, I have never counted. Also, I dont claim that I have driven each & every hatch in this country. That's not possible for someone like me.

But does that make me unqualified to comment? In that case, we have to shut down this forum!

I don't think that emotionally,I don't like thinking what will look better with me,what i believ is what suits me best is the best for me and hence I simply for my own reasons declare Honda City as the best car selling in India today.
What makes you think other's think emotionally? Just because they dont think like you?

I'll take you for a drive in City on a road where even SX4 also scrapes its belly but City won't why?
That's a little hard to digest.
because its not the car who scrapes its belly,its the driver.
This does not make sense as we compare cars in identical situations.

When there is no direct competition,then why is this thread existing?
Because you still have not understood the first post yet.

Either compare hatches with sedans with at least 1 lac margin or leave the comparo because everyone knows what the results are..[/B]
You can ignore this thread if you wish but please dont ask others to do so.

Then please change the title of the thread as had this been the case, most of our comments wouldn't have come up at first place.
I did not choose this title, the MODS changed it to this. So please contact the MODs for this.

Now what do you have to say?

Anyways, any normal person would read the first post properly, understand it's context & then reply. Guess that's not applicable here.

First you say Hatch Vs Sedans & out of sudden declare, that hey, it is only for 8L price. Why act like independent MLA ? [lol]
I have been saying this from the first post itself. It helps if you read the posts carefully.

Dzire is not proper sedan, it is swift + boot.
A true sedan is one which is conceptualized as a sedan right from design stage itself & not copy-paste job later.
Compare Punto with SX4 then & not Dzire.
This thread is about Punto/i20/Polo v/s Verito/Dzire/Etios. Accept it if you want to, else you are free to ignore this thread.

If you cant ignore this thread, live with it's content!

What has boot & rear legroom to do with ignorance ? This is our requirement buddy
And some dont have that requirement. Understand that.

What is desmodronic keys ? Sorry, but I don't know.
Foldable keys.

And as far as Punto is concerned, give it to me for just 1 day, I will give you 2 pieces, 1 chassis & 1 body.[lol]
For that matter, give me a S class. I would love to do that! All it needs is will power!

[glasses]

Please be a bit realistic.

Dzire is not proper sedan, it is swift + boot.
A true sedan is one which is conceptualized as a sedan right from design stage itself & not copy-paste job later.
Compare Punto with SX4 then & not Dzire.

And as far as Punto is concerned, give it to me for just 1 day, I will give you 2 pieces, 1 chassis & 1 body.[lol]
Two things, One's that the SX4 is not an original sedan, It's a hatch with an add on boot just like the Dzire. Dont take my word, But take a look: Suzuki SX4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second is that no matter what you do, You cant make the Punto into two pieces- Chassis and Body, Even if its given to you till the end of time.[lol] Reason being that it is a Monocoque.

Last edited:

You could have got peace of mind even if you had bought SX4. Both Maruti, same engine but better tuned for power, plus boot & better comfort.
Like I mentioned earlier we bought hatchbacks because they are more comfortable to use in city.

Since I equally like hatchbacks and sedan I am not going to vote in this poll and I will talk for and aginst for both hatchbacks and sedans.

I think some sedans offer rear seats folding like Skoda Laura(which is I think built on the VW golf platform).

What I heard is sedans built on hatchback platforms(like Fiat Linea,Skoda Laura) are more agile,in terms of handling.Correct me If I am wrong.

Anyone here heard of Nissan Juke - R.

670x377Image.jpg
670x377Image (3).jpg
670x377Image (1).jpg
670x377Image (2).jpg

I think it's engine is taken from the (Nissan) GT-R.It takes 3.7 seconds to reach 100km/h from standstill.

Images taken from Top Gear UK website

Last edited:

Like I mentioned earlier we bought hatchbacks because they are more comfortable to use in city.
Its not only city but all the everywhere on road. the hatches are made for city commuters, those who dont carry lot of luggage, but comfort,and feedback is part of technicalities which goes inside..

Since I equally like hatchbacks and sedan I am not going to vote in this poll and I will talk for and aginst for both hatchbacks and sedans.
Even I too did not vote as it would immature to vote against Apple vs orange.

I think some sedans offer rear seats folding like Skoda Laura(which is I think built on the VW golf platform).

What I heard is sedans built on hatchback platforms(like Fiat Linea,Skoda Laura) are more agile,in terms of handling.Correct me If I am wrong.
Manufacturer add boots as per requirement of end user not to make car more comfortable to ride. some people laugh at pick up trucks but I havent seen any other vehical handy as that. If Indian manufacturer had launched pick up trucks of in premium section I would have loved it...but I know Indian mindset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #51

I equally love hatchbacks and sedans.I think both are designed for different needs.Some may need a boot some may not.I understand what Raj and Jayadev is saying,that is buting sedan(under 10 lakhs) without the need of a boot.

But what we got is peace of mind.Our swift is fruagal yet peppy.Not to mention the best in class ASS.These hatches are very comfortable in the city.My mother do love sedan but she don't want suffer with a sedan in a crowded city.
Now that's a perfect reply. Someone who has properly read the first post, understood the content & then replied. It does not matter what one prefers, its an individual's own thinking, but you spoke something relevant. Kudos.

Not like some who just read the title, then think "perfect opportunity to debate with some senseless posts" & then attack!

Thank you point_city96.

Two things, One's that the SX4 is not an original sedan, It's a hatch with an add on boot just like the Dzire. Dont take my word, But take a look: Suzuki SX4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for this!

Second is that no matter what you do, You cant make the Punto into two pieces- Chassis and Body, Even if its given to you till the end of time.[lol] Reason being that it is a Monocoque.
LOLZ, never thought of this! Good one! [thumbsup]

Anyone here heard of Nissan Juke - R.

I think it's engine is taken from the (Nissan) GT-R.It takes 3.7 seconds to reach 100km/h from standstill.

Images taken from Top Gear UK website
That is seriously one hot hatch!

One more reason I like hatches more than sedans is because hatches look sporty, hot & are easily modifiable.

Sedans... well, they look executive.

If Indian manufacturer had launched pick up trucks of in premium section I would have loved it...but I know Indian mindset.
Same here, I would love to own a matt black TATA Xenon, but I fear I may get phone calls to bring my "tempo" on hire!

Whatever you have mentioned, I consider that as "standard equipment" on a car costing above 5 Lacs.
How many 5 or even 6 lac costing cars have all this as 'STANDARD' equipment,buddy even your Punto dynamic misses them.Why to tell lie to yourself just to justify some false info?

Right now quite tired,but will definitely answer all your so? why? how? etc etc

I would like to reply to the first post. Well, this is my opinion.

I feel that many a times there is this status thing attached to buying a Sedan or if I many extend that even an SUV. Well, everybody has their own opinion and in my opinion I find this kind of buying foolhardy.

Now if I was buying a car. This would be how I would look at it. I am driving the car myself. A majority of the times would be driving alone, maybe occasionally taking my mom and dad somewhere. Occasionally hitting the highways. For travel more than 600-700 kms I would most probably use a train or air plane.

Now putting this into context. If I'm driving myself most of the time then it would makes sense for me to drive a hatchback. Smaller, nippier through traffic, less of headache while parking in tight situations. I don't have a big family as of now, so the space in the hatch is sufficient (Anyways, I feel hatches like the Punto and Vista have oodles of space).

Secondly, Would i need the extra boot space. If the answer was yes, then maybe again I would think of a sedan. But again even with the cabin full of people. I believe I would not have too much luggage. So hatchback again.

A year back, I did a trip to Mangalore with family in a Spark, much lesser boot space than premium hatches and we managed the luggage quite well.

Coming to equipment, most premium hatchbacks are well equipped and I would not be missing the sedan's equipment if I buy a hatchback.

So all in all, depending on requirements I must add, a hatchback makes more sense most of the time according to me.

Thread Starter #54

How many 5 or even 6 lac costing cars have all this as 'STANDARD' equipment,buddy even your Punto dynamic misses them.Why to tell lie to yourself just to justify some false info?
True. So what I meant was if I am paying in excess of 5 Lacs, I expect all these in my car. So if a Punto Dynamic does offer me these features, I will buy the Punto Emotion instead. Or if its out of budget, I will buy the i10 Asta, as simple as that.

I don't have anything to do with the first post,why?
That's strange. Whatever discussions happen in a thread, it's with respect to the first post. And you are ignoring that! Regarding titles, I have asked the MODS to change the title as this was not the original title.

In other words,either forget the first post or get the title changed,else buddy you have created confusion.
As i said, I have not created this confusion. Often MODS change the title to make it more readable but you should always read the first post to understand the content. Expect 2-3 members, all others have done that, and they are posting relevant & proper replies. So no confusions there.

I would like to reply to the first post. Well, this is my opinion.
This is what i meant dear 'TSI VIPUL'.

I feel that many a times there is this status thing attached to buying a Sedan or if I many extend that even an SUV. Well, everybody has their own opinion and in my opinion I find this kind of buying foolhardy.
+10. Same thoughts here.

I don't have a big family as of now, so the space in the hatch is sufficient (Anyways, I feel hatches like the Punto and Vista have oodles of space).

Secondly, Would i need the extra boot space. If the answer was yes, then maybe again I would think of a sedan.
This is exactly what I am trying to convey.

Coming to equipment, most premium hatchbacks are well equipped and I would not be missing the sedan's equipment if I buy a hatchback.
True.

350Z

Core Team
Re: Budget Rs.8 Lac – Your Pick: Premium Hatchback or Budget Sedan?

Note: Thread title has been renamed to prevent further confusion. Please stick to the topic and also remember that personal attacks or promoting unlawful activities cannot be tolerated on this forum.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thank you very much 350 z, for taking control of the cockpit and intervening in time.

While comparing premium hatch with entry level sedan, we should compare abs/airbags eqipped hatch with similarly equipped sedan otherwise thread can stray once again IMO. Rest of the varients can be compared as per the wish of the member concerned.

Note: Thread title has been renamed to prevent further confusion. Please stick to the topic and also remember that personal attacks or promoting unlawful activities cannot be tolerated on this forum.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks for doing this buddy

Thank you very much 350 z, for taking control of the cockpit and intervening in time.

While comparing premium hatch with entry level sedan, we should compare abs/airbags eqipped hatch with similarly equipped sedan otherwise thread can stray once again IMO. Rest of the varients can be compared as per the wish of the member concerned.
+100 to that.

:offtopic:I was thinking where in my 'hot' favorite thread lost and then I found that title is changed...first of all tell me how to change my vote..

Returning back to topic:
With the change in title have changed my choices.Budget sedans means sedans like DZire,Indigo eCS etc etc.Since these cars are a big NO for me in front of fine hatches like Jazz,Punto,Fabia and Polo etc.So now I am in favor of hatches.

Note for mods(I am not advising you,but just keeping my views):Changing the title has stolen the charm of this thread,why?Because its now a simple one sided game.Now sedans like City etc etc have vanished despite being priced somewhere near to premium hatches and hence now its a true one sided game..now let's see this thread slowly vanishing from the hot threads..

Let's keep the nature of the thread informative, rather than parliamentary.
The number of the guests visiting TAI is almost 10 times more than the number of the members, reason being info, true info, healty debates, unbiased opinions.

We members and prospective car buyers always face this hatch/sedan dilemma, so let the info and healthy opinions pour in. It's going to be most iconic thread on TAI.

Re: Budget Rs.8 Lac – Your Pick: Premium Hatchback or Budget Sedan?

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks for doing this. Atlast members like me will be out from this thread as it makes no sense continuing here anylonger as the comparo will itself become flawed. I also request you to remove the poll as it doesn't give correct picture any longer, I mean I would anytime buy Jazz rather than crap Etios.

Top Bottom