Your Choice Between Premium Hatchbacks and Budget Sedans?

Your Pick?

• Total voters
Re: Comparison Between Hatchbacks v/s Sedans

Moment there is some issue in overall performance a sedan becomes stretched hatchback,"selling it as sedan" ,hopeless blah blah.
But the sales figure for the sedan version of Civic was almost double and as of today also the sedan version sells almost 3 times that of the hatch.

And ever since the sedan version of fiesta was launched it has improved the figures for Ford. Because again the sedan version is now selling more.

Thread Starter #17

I fail to understand when few guys say the hatches do not look appealing. Picking from the cars you mentioned in the comparison I think only the Fiesta classic & Vento are good in terms of looks when compared to hatchbacks. This is simply because they are not overdone in the looks department. The looks are kept as simple as it can get which gives them edge over the Dzire, Manza & Etios.
Exactly. And Vento costs a lot more than the hatches I mentioned.

In that case, compare the Vento with the Fiesta hacthback or FIAT Bravo... which unfortunately is not available in India.

This is a debatable topic.
Isnt that a good thing? [evil]

The perception of hatchbacks as a compromise started i think early when the MS esteem and the zen were launched.
The zen costed around 3 l when introduced and the esteem around 4-5Lakhs i think.
Since then the hatches were looked upon as the class below the sedans and this has continued since.
Exactly. And since then hatchbacks have evolved. They are no more the compromised sedans. They have evolved in terms of styling, comfort,safety & features.

Practically one should not count the dezire or the indigo as a sedan.
They are stretched hatches.
But those are the hatches which are available in this price point & can be compared, to be fair.

But with premium sedans present in their category like the laura, corolla, civic and the absence of hatches in that category prevents the average consumer to shake off his old school of thought that hatches can be any better.
Exactly. We dont have hatches in that price point. And so we cant bring Laura & Jetta into comparison.

One of my friend is looking for a car and started off from i20. Then I asked him to check Polo, Fabia and Punto and consider petrol vs diesel comparison. He started some calculation and reached to an conclusion that he needs a diesel car however, average monthly running would be around 1400 to 1500kms. I helped him coming from diesel to petrol car but very next day he booked Dsire diesel (LDI). Upon asking, his father asked him to buy a BIG car and he thinks petrol prices are increasing and no one knows the limit. He was not bothered nor his family paid any attention to safety features at all. When I asked him about ABS, airbags, he said ignorantly I do not need safety features as I do not drive fast during rainy days [frustration]

So his decision was driven by his family and there are thousands like him [surprise]
One he drives a nice hatch, he will understand what he missed.

Well,I am a bit confused.Why?Because I drive myself.
There are some hatches like Punto,Polo,Fabia,Figo etc which are fun to drive.
But then there are sedans like Fiesta 1.6,Honda City,Honda Civic,Skoda Laura etc etcwhich have very sharp handling and performance characteristics.So at last I voted for a sedan because in my views no hatch can still match them.
Since these sedans cost a lot more, can they be compared to the said hatches?

Moment there is some issue in overall performance a sedan becomes stretched hatchback,"selling it as sedan" ,hopeless blah blah.
It is just like saying that Scorpio is SUV. Some even said that Bolero is SUV [frustration]. And these are the same guys who say these are sedans, just because it has some boot.

Please Make it clear what is the meaning of word sedan ?
(please let it be one line answer so that layman like me can comprehend)
A car that is closed and that has front and rear seats and four doors, with 3 box design with more wheelbase & comfort than hatch.

Exactly. And since then hatchbacks have evolved. They are no more the compromised sedans. They have evolved in terms of styling, comfort,safety & features.
Show me a single hatch which comes with 8 or more airbags, speed-sensitive power steering, rear AC vents, heated & ventilated seats, rear audio-video controls alongwith front seat adjustment, auto-curtains for rear glass & side glass for rear, Ottoman seats, chromatic sunroof & power over 200 ps.
Infact, I haven't seen a single hatch which comes with air-suspension & speed adjustable ground clearance. Infact, not a single hatch is available where I can use my laptop comfortably on rear seats.

Buddy, think about the total picture. Problem is you bring in Fiat Bravo, Civic Hatch etc & compare that with Dzire, Verito. By this logic, you will always find hatches better. Can Pajero be compared with Scorpio slx, despite scorpio having more features than Pajero ? Same is the case between sedan & hatches. And hatches also mean alto, wagon-R, spark. Why forget this ?
You are comparing premium hatches with ordinary sedans.

But those are the hatches which are available in this price point & can be compared, to be fair.
At any given price point, hatches will have more fancy stuff than sedans in same price range but it won't have comfort, nor boot like that of sedan.

Exactly. We dont have hatches in that price point. And so we cant bring Laura & Jetta into comparison.
Right because hatches can't sell at that price point, across the world.
Hatch is often used as 2nd or 3rd car by person who has multiple cars or is the first car of a person who upgrades from 2 wheeler.

Some hatches are nice to drive, eg. Jazz but they are hopeless on highways.
Punto is also good but you needs to care about rear passengers also. You can't be only driver centric.

Sedans will always be expensive, just like true-blue SUVs will always be expensive for common man. But then scorpios are sold as SUVs & people think they own SUVs [lol].

i am a sedan lover at heart. i will always own a sedan if i had a choice between hatchback and sedan. otherwise i will always want to own a SUV first preference.

anyways back to topic, hatches are no doubt fun to drive. some are really peppy and good fun in the city. sedan for me always tells me to relax and calm down. i have driven the Punto and the Brio, which are really the benchmarks for the hatches in fun, are excellent but it doesnt really appeal to me the way when i throw a sedan around a twisty corner. its my taste.

There is not standard name as stretched hatchebaks. you pay for sedan ,you tell mention it as sedan,your RC shows as sedan and manufacturer also quote it as sedan.

Old habbits dies hard and when you have pocket full of money you act more ignorant and arrogant.

I have always found Hatchbacks more flexible than sedans ,open the hatch fold down the seats you can place a small bike.

I have done a video shooting in my punto which could only be possible through hatch door else i'd had to hire a truck.
Exactly Jayadev, I carry all sorts of stuff in my car with the seat down. It could comfortably take in a 40'' LCD TV with box. Try doing that on a sedan is what I tell people who say sedans have more dicky space. Most of the time people travel alone or there might be an odd passenger. At least that's what I see these days here. Just have a look what I was carrying last weekend in the attached pictures. And thats 300Kgs by the way.

This is a debatable topic.
The perception of hatchbacks as a compromise started i think early when the MS esteem and the zen were launched.
The zen costed around 3 l when introduced and the esteem around 4-5Lakhs i think.
The Zen costed in excess of 4 lakhs when it was first launched. It sure was over-priced then. In fact it was exported and sold abroad for much lesser than what was on offer here.

Attachments

Last edited:

@ Jalex,

What is it an Alto-Cargo or Alto serving as a Cargo. Do not sell these pictures to Maruti they might start marketing Alto as a cargo vehicle (Utility) [lol].

But jokes apart, yes, Hatches are more useful than Sedans.

Thread Starter #22

It is just like saying that Scorpio is SUV. Some even said that Bolero is SUV [frustration].
Yes, I had said that.

But I had specifically mentioned that Bolero 4x4 is an SUV. I had also asked you to get a reality check.

Show me a single hatch which comes with 8 or more airbags, speed-sensitive power steering, rear AC vents, heated & ventilated seats, rear audio-video controls alongwith front seat adjustment, auto-curtains for rear glass & side glass for rear, Ottoman seats, chromatic sunroof & power over 200 ps.
Infact, I haven't seen a single hatch which comes with air-suspension & speed adjustable ground clearance.
Are you serious? Earlier you compared a 10 Lac sedan with a 7 Lac hatch, then you compared a 40 Lac sedan to a 7 Lac hatch...

Now you are comparing a 80 Lac sedan to a 7 Lac hatch. You are hell bent on breaking your own records!

Which sedan within 10 Lacs has all these features which you mentioned?

Do you even understand the purpose of this topic? I will repeat it for you -

Suppose a person has 8 Lacs, should he buy a premium hatch (if he does not require the boot) or should he buy a budget sedan (since sedans are good for status)?

You are again & again comparing high end sedans with cheaper hatches, which is not fair.

Infact, not a single hatch is available where I can use my laptop comfortably on rear seats.
Hatchbacks are not designed for the sethjis to sit in the rear seat.

Buddy, think about the total picture. Problem is you bring in Fiat Bravo, Civic Hatch etc & compare that with Dzire, Verito.
Correction. I am comparing Verito & Dzire with Polo, Swift, Punto, etc.

I bought the Bravo into picture when Linea & Laura was compared.

Please read my posts again.

Can Pajero be compared with Scorpio slx, despite scorpio having more features than Pajero ? Same is the case between sedan & hatches. And hatches also mean alto, wagon-R, spark. Why forget this ?
Read my first post again please.

I have clearly mentioned that a maxi hatch is bought by someone who has the money to buy a sedan but still buys a hatch because it suffices is needs. Alto & Wagon R is not a maxi hatch.

You are comparing premium hatches with ordinary sedans.
Correct. Because it falls in the same price range. Atleast I am not comparing a 90 Lac car to a hatch!

At any given price point, hatches will have more fancy stuff than sedans in same price range but it won't have comfort, nor boot like that of sedan.
It wont have the boot - correct.

It wont have the comfort - not necessary.

Both i20 & Punto is more comfortable than the Dzire.

Right because hatches can't sell at that price point, across the world.
Hatch is often used as 2nd or 3rd car by person who has multiple cars or is the first car of a person who upgrades from 2 wheeler.
Exactly. So whose denying that?

Some hatches are nice to drive, eg. Jazz but they are hopeless on highways.
Punto is also good but you needs to care about rear passengers also. You can't be only driver centric.
Hatches are bought by people who would mostly occupy only the front seats. Please understand the intended purpose also.

Sedans will always be expensive, just like true-blue SUVs will always be expensive for common man. But then scorpios are sold as SUVs & people think they own SUVs [lol].
DUDE, in that case, you know nothing about the Scorpio, so just let it be. No point arguing endlessly about something you are not totally aware of...

Some examples -

Scorpio is a truck because it has a pick up truck version.
Safari is an SUV because it's rear seats are comfortable.

Ridiculous! Ignorance is bliss!

Guys,

Are we not confusing ourselves between two threads
1. Comparison Between Hatchbacks v/s Sedans
2. Sedans v/s SUVs - Your Personal Pick?

By reading some of the comments I get confused which Thread I am on to!!

Can we be specific to the thread. Apologies if I am the only one getting confused here.

Agree with FJcruzer these two threads have been hilarious to say the least, and i am beginning to pity Raj to the extent and pain he is taking to explain some of the stuff and respond to the debate.
The points that amuse me the most are the
a) 'Truck' references
b) 'SUV' references
c) Fantastic comparison with cars across any segment imaginable! and not to mention features from a rollroyce looked for in a alto!

Now these threads are giving me enough motivation to a create a thread:-
" Mercedes S Class v/s Bicycle (bhaiyyaji ka )"
I can put forth 10 points in which bicycle trounces the mercedes[lol]
I am sure there is some one out there who wants to put 10 points where the s class trounces bhaiyyaji ka bike, would be eager to hear those!

Last edited:

Agree with FJcruzer these two threads have been hilarious to say the least, and i am beginning to pity Raj to the extent and pain he is taking to explain some of the stuff and respond to the debate.
a) 'Truck' references
b) 'SUV' references
c) Fantastic comparison with cars across any segment imaginable! and not to mention features from a rollroyce looked for in a alto!

Now these threads are giving me enough motivation to a create a thread:-
" Mercedes S Class v/s Bicycle (bhaiyyaji ka )"
I can put forth 10 points in which bicycle trounces the mercedes[lol]
I am sure there is some one out there who wants to put 10 points where the s class trounces bhaiyyaji ka bike, would be eager to hear those!
Well said Iron rock.

The title of new thread makes me ROFL. Good idea, seems that you are enjoying your day.

Thread Starter #26

That seems a cool idea Iron Rock. I really wish MODS allow us to open such a thread. It would be awesome!

And I can already predict some great comparos there. And I am sure the cycle would win in the poll too!

It wont have the boot - correct.

It wont have the comfort - not necessary.

Both i20 & Punto is more comfortable than the Dzire.
+10.
My dealer was convincing me to go for linea active or dynamic for almost similar price of Punto 90 hp, he said sedan gives more snob value .
I said take your snob value and give it to that kind of egocentric retards. I need all the feature a car can accommodate at punto's price, the linea costed 10.5lakhs he did realize I am impossible .

Hatches are bought by people who would mostly occupy only the front seats. Please understand the intended purpose also.
my punto is clocking at 20000km . and out of that 19950km was travelled by me and my wife.
guess even rear seats are useless for us most of the time I have removed it.

Punto's NVH as far i heard is even better than diesal vento and handelling/ride quality and steering response is more matured than Hyundai verna -11+ lakhs.

Now which is better here ?

Exactly. And Vento costs a lot more than the hatches I mentioned.

In that case, compare the Vento with the Fiesta hacthback or FIAT Bravo... which unfortunately is not available in India.
When there is no price point where a proper sedan can compete with a hatchback then why do this thread exist?If those hatches are not available in India then they are of no use,nor its any use taking their names.And at last,give me a single reason why not even a single premium hatch exists in the world above Ford Focus,VW Golf and some more.Why it is so that producers themselves turn towards sedans or GTs?

So you think Punto can be compared to a DZire or you want to compare Polo with an Etios?

100% true

Again same question,buddy I am not mindless enough to play a lost game.You can't expect me to compare a Punto with a DZire and you yourself know why!In fact everyone knows that if you compare a proper hatchback with a proper sedan(like comparing Polo 1.6 with a City or vento etc etc)then the sedan definitely wins with a large margin but if you compare it with a so-called sedan like DZire,Manze etc etc then no doubt hatchback is far far better.
In other words,if you want to make the comparison of hatches with 'sedans'(note:I said 'sedans')then you will have to make compromise on the price factor of a margin of upto 3 lacs.As much i remember I have mentioned the same in an another thread too.

Guys,

Are we not confusing ourselves between two threads
1. Comparison Between Hatchbacks v/s Sedans
2. Sedans v/s SUVs - Your Personal Pick?

By reading some of the comments I get confused which Thread I am on to!!

Can we be specific to the thread. Apologies if I am the only one getting confused here.
+1000,same here,I am also trying to be stuck to title,but then I find that the sedans vs SUV thread is also being converted to hatch vs sedan by some hatch lovers.

No doubt,but the issue is that Raj is alone for explaining what is going wrong way.Why don't you come and join buddy?

a) 'Truck' references
b) 'SUV' references
Hmm,it looks like some people forget what they are typing just to justify their words.

+10.
My dealer was convincing me to go for linea active or dynamic for almost similar price of Punto 90 hp, he said sedan gives more snob value .
I said take your snob value and give it to that kind of egocentric retards. I need all the feature a car can accommodate at punto's price, the linea costed 10.5lakhs he did realize I am impossible .

my punto is clocking at 20000km . and out of that 19950km was travelled by me and my wife.
guess even rear seats are useless for us most of the time I have removed it.

Punto's NVH as far i heard is even better than diesal vento and handelling/ride quality and steering response is more matured than Hyundai verna -11+ lakhs.

Now which is better here ?
Well,at last only one answer comes to my mind for the whole thread "DIFFERENT PEOPLE-DIFFERENT NEEDS-DIFFERENT PRIORITIES AND HENCE DIFFERENT 'CARS'

Last edited:

No doubt,but the issue is that Raj is alone for explaining what is going wrong way.Why don't you come and join buddy?

"DIFFERENT PEOPLE-DIFFERENT NEEDS-DIFFERENT PRIORITIES AND HENCE DIFFERENT 'CARS'
Vipul its already happened in other threads and more than 1 time atleast, you can take a horse to the pond, i am afraid i cant force it to drink.

+100 to what you said above, its all about ones needs and priorities. There are no right or wrongs here.

But some people continuosly make such damning statements which are beyond any reason or debate - even though i would like to help not worth the time for the reason mentioned above.

@ Raj may be the mods might allow us to do it in some other section[;)] ? i bet the bicycle wins it hands down!!

Last edited:

Top Bottom