Which Set of Wheels Does the Handbrakes Apply?

Thread Starter #1
Guys,

I always had this question, to which set of wheels does the handbrakes apply to ? Rear or the Front. I have doubts with the Rear wheels, the reason being, when a vehicle is being towed the rear set of wheels are in motion. Can an expert clear this silly doubt of mine [;)] ??

Its the rear wheels, as it always on the non-steered wheels.

While towing, the handbrakes are always disengaged. If you are talking about the traffic police who tows away cars parked in 'no parking' zones, they first enter your car to put your car in neutral & dis-engage the handbrake & then tow your car.

To enter your car, all they need is a steel plate. In many modern cars, they dont work though. That is the reason, you always see older hatchbacks being towed, they are easier to get into.

To enter your car, all they need is a steel plate. In many modern cars, they dont work though. That is the reason, you always see older hatchbacks being towed, they are easier to get into.
Are you referring to the gap that is seen after removing weather strip? Then what about old cars with remote locks (Central locking etc) even there is it the same case?

I am just worried because my car too is pretty old & this "steel plate" thing has scared me. I think I should buy a good steering lock/ gear lock. Atleast the thieves cant steal it.

Thread Starter #6
How can the cops get into a locked car (with the latest central locking and stuff) ?. And like in the case of newer cars like Swift or Punto or Polo, how do they tow these cars ?. I have also seen huge metal clamps that they use to lock down the wheels at least in Mumbai

How can the cops get into a locked car (with the latest central locking and stuff) ?. And like in the case of newer cars like Swift or Punto or Polo, how do they tow these cars ?. I have also seen huge metal clamps that they use to lock down the wheels at least in Mumbai
They used to in older cars where the locking system was lets says, easy to open. I have opened my Maruti 800 so many times after locking my keys inside, a five minute job.

Newer cars, they do not tow these days. Rather they place the metal clamps. There are being used in Bangalore too.

Are you referring to the gap that is seen after removing weather strip? Then what about old cars with remote locks (Central locking etc) even there is it the same case?

I am just worried because my car too is pretty old & this "steel plate" thing has scared me. I think I should buy a good steering lock/ gear lock. Atleast the thieves cant steal it.
They dont need to remove the rubber beading, they just insert a metal plate in the gap between the door panel & the B pillar & an expert knows how to open the lock.

Its the same with cars having remote locking. The siren keeps blaring as these guys tow the vehicle. Later, they remove the battery wire.

Thieves can open the door but they cant steal it as they dont have the key for the ignition. They will have to make a duplicate key, and that's easy.

Its very very easy for them. If they dont do this, they wont be able to tow the car. In newer cars, where this is not possible they lock the wheels with the clamps.

350Z

Core Team
I always had this question, to which set of wheels does the handbrakes apply to ? Rear or the Front. I have doubts with the Rear wheels, the reason being, when a vehicle is being towed the rear set of wheels are in motion.
Handbrake engages the rear wheels.

They dont need to remove the rubber beading, they just insert a metal plate in the gap between the door panel & the B pillar & an expert knows how to open the lock.
Similarly old cars can also be unlocked with help of a steel scale by inserting it in between the rubber beading of side windows and its glass. A person who was selling basic security items showed me this demo on my car and I was left amazed when he fully unlocked it without the keys. Since then I installed a metal plate (which doesn’t permits scale to reach through) and safety door lock pins. I hope that my car is much safer than earlier if not totally safe.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #10
wow i was always wondering that the brakes are applied to front set of wheels. Thank you so much guys for clearing those doubts, and also for a different insight into how the cops steal (tow) our vehicles [;)].

And its a real pity to see in the manner in which these guys tow the cars, they absolutely don't give damn about the cars. I happened to notice a santro getting towed over a speed bump and that car literally jumped a good 2 feet above the speed bump.. [anger]

This is very common in 800 and omni !![frustration] use a steel scale open your car..
Even if the car has central locking its quite possible to open the locks..
Here only the difference is the alarm turns on..

Unless u own an old Subaru its usually applied on rear wheels.

Hand brake on rear wheels comes very handy while drifting high speed corners in rally[;)], its an interesting art to master and varys between front wheel/rear wheel/awd drive cars.

So is there any DIY that can help me in this case? What about steering+brake pedal locks? Any brand available in Bangalore? Gear lock is the best option but for time being I feel the steering lock should do good, atleast it creates an illusion of "TOUGH TO STEAL"

Oh no. This thread is going off-topic w.r.t the title.
Guys, please use the appropriate thread for discussing other topics.

Regarding the initial question by the thread starter, many of our members already answered, handbrake is applied to the rear wheels.

Top Bottom