Which New Gearless Scooter?

Thread Starter #1

lxi.

Suspended
Hi TAI!
I am thinking of buying a scooter for a city purpose. The ride of the scooter will only be in a city, almost 99% of the time.
Since, the gearless automobile are becoming a trend these days, I have selected that i want one gearless scooter. The scooter i had in mind are-
Honda activa
Honda aviator
Tvs Wego
Suzuki Access 125
Mahindra duro dx/dz(whatever it is)
Have also heard of the hero maestro, looks attractive but not sure that what would be the best comfortable scooter for a 5'3" person.
My requirements are as follows-
1. The looks of the scooter (should be unisex)
2. The Mileage (should be <45kmpl)
3. Should be easy to ride by a 5'3" person
4. Should have less weight (again for handling and easy maneuvering)
5. Should have a good A. s. s. (am not sure about the suzuki service)

Keep the suggestions flowing in...
Cheers

Should this be ">45kmpl"?

Recently did a TD with Wego and quite impressed with it.
+Light weight (Compared with Activa)
+Balanced ride
+Better braking
+A.S.S
+Better FE than Activa
-Engine ran out of breath reaching 55kmph
-Front storage space is less compared with Activa

Thread Starter #3

lxi.

Suspended
Ohh yes, that was a typing error (>45kmpl)
But there are complaints about the part quality in the TVS wego. How are the plastic parts and paint in terms of quality? Is is better than Activa?

Considering the waiting period of the Activa, I suggest you go for the Wego. The Duro is not that good. If you want a Mahindra, go for the Rodeo. The quality of the TVS is much better than Mahindra and almost as good as Honda.

Hi TAI!
I am thinking of buying a scooter for a city purpose. The ride of the scooter will only be in a city, almost 99% of the time.
Since, the gearless automobile are becoming a trend these days, I have selected that i want one gearless scooter. The scooter i had in mind are-
Honda activa
Good, proven product with excellent resale value but bad after sales and pathetic buying experience. Most Honda dealers are snooty and indifferent. Long waiting period. Is an automatic choice if you do not care too much about after sales and rubbish dealerships.
Honda aviator
The Activa in fancier clothes. Better than the Activa because of telescopic front suspension and front disc brake option.
Tvs Wego
Fantastic product from an indigenous manufacturer. Smooth engine, great fuel efficiency, excellent headlight beam quality, metal panels, cheaper than competition, bigger wheels/tyres + telescopic front suspension = better roadholding. Unisex scooter. Reasonably better after sales service than Honda. Cheap spares.
Suzuki Access 125
The best performance scooter in India.That 125cc powerplant can give a complex to some motorcycles. Extremely smooth, free revving, and unstressed even at 80kmph. Can give 45 kmpl if ridden carefully but overall less fuel efficient than the Hondas/Wego (With great power comes great fuel inefficiency:biggrin:). Solid build quality. Plastic panels (+ve or -ve, you decide). Good riding position, excellent suspension. price on par with Activa = 125cc scooter for 110cc price. Suzuki after sales service is better than Honda's.
Mahindra duro dx/dz(whatever it is)
A Kinetic Nova with a new name and a 125cc engine. Engine is punchy but overall rubbish quality. Avoid it like you would avoid AIDS and Syphilis.
Have also heard of the hero maestro, looks attractive but not sure that what would be the best comfortable scooter for a 5'3" person.
All the above scooters are biggies and a 5'3" person would face difficulty. The Aviator is the tallest, so try it out if you want to buy it.
My requirements are as follows-
1. The looks of the scooter (should be unisex)
Looks are subjective, so you decide what looks good on you. All the scooters mentioned above you are unisex scooters. Also check out the Honda Dio - an Activa in fancier clothes (plastic panels).
> 45 kmpl, you mean. The Wego gives the best mileage among all the 100-125cc scooters available in India. But realistically speaking, > 45kmpl is difficult to achieve on any ungeared scooter in city traffic unless one rides like Uncle Scrooge would. Mind you, it's difficult, but not impossible. The TVS Scooty Pep + gives the best mileage (90cc engine) among all ungeared scooters available in India at present.
3. Should be easy to ride by a 5'3" person
Ride each one and find out. Also try the TVS Scooty Pep +, if you are not averse to be seen on it. It's perfect for a 5'3" person.
4. Should have less weight (again for handling and easy maneuvering)
All scooters mentioned by you are heavy and bulky. Again, try out the TVS Scooty Pep +. Easiest to manoeuvre and park. Next best when it comes to ease of handling is the Wego. Ride each one and find out what suits you best.
5. Should have a good A. s. s. (am not sure about the suzuki service)
Best after sales service =
1. Suzuki/TVS
2. Honda/Mahindra
Frankly, not much difference between Honda and Mahindra after sales service. Mahindra being new entrants, it's dealers and service persons are at least polite.

Keep the suggestions flowing in...
Cheers
Just forget about the Duro. Ride the other scooters and decide. Take test rides of all scooters in a single day - this will help you to decide better. Awaiting your decision. All the best !

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

lxi.

Suspended
The rodeo is not to my liking, it has a small stance and looks just like the Kinetic Sym Flyte (but it has got a front mudguard). Would i be able to ride it comfortably , I am 5'3" ?

Yup. Try it out. But really, avoid Mahindra scooters. There is no reason to buy these machines when there are better (more reliable, better quality, more fuel efficient, less depreciating) machines available in the market.

Thread Starter #8

lxi.

Suspended
Sam Dinkar, No peps for me [:D]. I mean, its too girly yaar. I have driven an Activa, Wego, Pep+, Nova135 and Eterno. Didn't find difficulty in driving other than eterno(leave it, i will never buy it, it is not gearless) and activa. The wego was perfect with handling and the ride was also comfortable, the pep+ was very less in power as compared to activa, wego. The Nova had a bit dissapointing ride on bumps and breakers, the wego i think would be ok for me. What is the dio average onroad price in delhi (faridabad)? Does it has waiting? The wego's ride was not as sporty as the activas but the activa didn't have that traction as the wego had. While driving on water or wet mud, the rear tyre slips too much, i mean, it you stop in between water(manually stop the scooter, not the engine), then try to accelerate and the scooter skids to one side and does not move forward. My friend has bought his Wego for 47k on road and the honda activa is 43k on road(it was bought 2 yrs ago).

Sam Dinkar, No peps for me [:D]. I mean, its too girly yaar. I have driven an Activa, Wego, Pep+, Nova135 and Eterno. Didn't find difficulty in driving other than eterno(leave it, i will never buy it, it is not gearless) and activa. The wego was perfect with handling and the ride was also comfortable, the pep+ was very less in power as compared to activa, wego. The Nova had a bit dissapointing ride on bumps and breakers, the wego i think would be ok for me. What is the dio average onroad price in delhi (faridabad)? Does it has waiting? The wego's ride was not as sporty as the activas but the activa didn't have that traction as the wego had. While driving on water or wet mud, the rear tyre slips too much, i mean, it you stop in between water(manually stop the scooter, not the engine), then try to accelerate and the scooter skids to one side and does not move forward. My friend has bought his Wego for 47k on road and the honda activa is 43k on road(it was bought 2 yrs ago).
Dio is Rs 44.5k on road Delhi. Same should be the case at Faridabad, give or take a couple of hundred or two. Be prepared to wait for a month (or two, who knows what's up at Honda). The Wego is a great product and the people I know who own one are extremely satisfied with it. Same with Activa. Seriously, just ride the Access once, even if you don't want to buy it. You will not like anything else once you experience the power of the Suzuki 125cc engine. Ride it on a long stretch of road to do it justice.

Thread Starter #10

lxi.

Suspended
No, buddy. I am not buying a suzuki, i have read a few ownership reviews on forums(not here) that access is a bad product and has constant niggles and also has waiting. I want a gearless scooter without waiting. I think the wego does not have waiting (my friend bought one the same day he went to enquire, actually, they did a test drive and were sold for it.). Which colour looks good in WEgo? :stupid: I know a funny question it is, and everyone has his own choice but then also , i wanna see between the cappucino brown and the beige. Usually i dont clean my rides frequently (once in 2 weeks), so a colour which is easy to maintain? White and black are not to my liking. Today saw a wego(white) parked next to a REpair shop with rusting on the paint, the rust was near the Seat opner/fuel lid opener and between every nut andbolts. Looked wierd[surprise][shock]!!!

Brown looks great on the Wego. By the way- just to confuse you more- just saw the Vespas at the Auto Expo. Have a look at these scooters. Countrywide launch w.e.f. March onwards. No questions, no logic, nothing. I am going to buy one. Period.

Thread Starter #12

lxi.

Suspended
Wow! Then what would i say among my friends " yeah!!! i have bought a Vespa :lol!:
By the way, i have decided on the capucinno brown colour of the tvs wego. If you are going to buy a vespa. All the best [:)]

Go for it! The Wego is an extremely competent scooter and you would not go wrong with it. Looks super in brown. Eagerly awaiting your ownership report (there's no booking period - just go to a TVS showroom, pay up, and get one home) and pics. All the best !

The rodeo is not to my liking, it has a small stance and looks just like the Kinetic Sym Flyte (but it has got a front mudguard). Would i be able to ride it comfortably , I am 5'3" ?
The Mahindra Rodeo is the basically the Kinetic Sym Flyte but with a mudguard. The Mahindra Flyte is Kinetic Sym Flyte. Mahindra basically bought out Kinetic.

Top Bottom