Toyota Hilux - A Journey to North Pole

Thread Starter #1
I recently got a chance to watch this program on Discovery Turbo. Bringing it on The Automotive India Just for you all

Polar Special is an popular episode on Top Gear which was first aired on early 2007. This was the first attempt ever to drive a motor vehicle to Magnetic North Pole.

The Idea !!

toyota-hilux-south-pole.jpg

This tought was visualized by BBC Crew, supported by Toyota and also Arctic Trucks vehcile modification company. Toyota Hilux was used for this challenge. Of Course its not just the same version which is available on road. Hilux underwent lot of treatment & modifications before entering into this daring event.

An Race Event ??

To make the series more interesting, they thought of having it as race event. So other transporation aginst Hilux was dog sled, which is the official/traditional transport around Arctic.

Thread Starter #2
Vehicles Used

Following were the list of other vehciles used in this event

• 2006 Toyota Hilux

toyota-hilux-titel.jpg
  • 3.0l diesel pickup trucks

• Toyota Land Cruiser 120

toyota-landcruiser-120-2002-lo-res-isbre.jpg

• A trailer on 38" tyres was also used to carry equipments and fuel.

The Team

Two drivers/repair experts and one polar expert.

Thread Starter #3
Modifications on Hilux

All vehicles used went through serious and extensive modifications to make them suitable for the Arctic conditions.

Toyota_Hilux_Mod.jpg

• The standard wheels and tyres were replaced with bespoke Arctic Trucks wheels and 38" studded snow tyres. The tyres were able to run at pressures as low as 0.2 bar (3 psi) for better traction over snow. The tyres are called Arctic Trucks AT405. Single Tyre cost 2800 GBP!!
  • The wheel arches were raised and extended to protect the larger tyres.
  • The standard 3.0-litre D-4D engine was modified to cope with the very low temperatures. Heaters were added to increase fuel and coolant temperature, a large heavy-duty battery was fitted and the air intake was modified.
  • A 90 litre auxiliary fuel tank was fitted
  • The gearing ratio was lowered to 1:4.88.
  • Two winches that could be fitted either to the front or rear of each of the vehicles were carried, in case they got stuck in the snow.

Why Hilux and what is so special ?

The Hilux was chosen because it had proven itself to be exceptionally durable. The car had featured in various Top Gear challenges, being floated out to sea, set on fire, and finally being placed on top of a high-rise tower which was then destroyed in a controlled demolition. After all this, the Hilux was still able to be driven away. The Hilux was therefore the obvious choice for this test of endurance.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Hope you All enjoyed watching my favourite show.

Final-Pic.jpg

And Yes Finally the BBC Crew reached North Pole by car. [clap]

Article Source - Wiki & Google

Image Source - Respective Owners

Edit & Format - Zinam

this episode was epic! one of the best me thinks. they had some troubles in the middle. also they took one of the Hilux used in this artic tour, to the volcanoes in Iceland. James May drove it up there and picked up a piece of lava.

These guys are legends. I had seen all of the Artic videos some time back, I had also seen May go way too near to that Volcano in that Hi-Lux. These guys are for real unlike many other T.V Hosts on auto shows. They speak their minds out. But sometimes I feel that they are a little in favour of British makes.
And I guess most auto makers are biting their nails when these blokes test drive and review a new vehicle.

Here's a great link to their shows where you can download and see almost all the previous episodes :http://www.finalgear.com/shows/

And you can watch the American and Australian shows of Top Gear along with Fifth Gear over there as well.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Must have been great watching this show. Kudos to BBC Network for coming up with informative and exciting initiatives such as this. I have spotted the Hilux a couple of times here, and now my respect for this car has only shot up. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Never knew the Hi-Lux had so much history behind it! Great to see the amazing reliability of the Hi-Lux.

Thanks for sharing this with us Zinam!

Toyota Hilux Completes 6,000-Mile Antarctica Expedition

Toyota Hilux Completes 6,000-Mile Antarctica Expedition on Jet Fuel.and the best part is it ran on the normal 3.0liter D-4d engine which is the same engine that goes on our Fortuner(please correct me if i am wrong).

Re: Toyota Hilux Completes 6,000-Mile Antarctica Expedition

^^ The Hi-Lux is truly a legend when it comes to being able to survive in harsh terrains and in harsh conditions. I do not know about their modern build quality. But the old ones were built like tanks.

Whenever I read something about the Hi-lux I am reminded about the tests that Top Gear put it through. And well it came out battered but shining! [:)]

Top Bottom