Toyota and BMW To Join Hands

Thread Starter #1
Partnerships are the buzzword across the car industry with most automakers partnering one another to whittle down development costs and share production facilities.

While General Motors Europe announced one such tie up with ailing French automaker Peugeot earlier this year, German automaker and the world’s leading luxury car brand BMW has tied up with Toyota.

The BMW-Toyota partnership was to give BMW access to electric car technology from Japanese car maker Toyota while giving Toyota a range of diesel engines for its new models.

very good initiatiation by both OEM's as both are good in their specified fields and this would help them to share among each other technologies and platforms which they are good at. say BMW has very good frugal diesel engines and Toyota has mastered the electric propulsion system which BMW can cap on.

It would be win - win situation for both the oem's and nurture for better innovative products.

Source:More details about the Toyota-BMW partnership emerge | IndianCarsBikes.in

Yeah because its a cheap car thats why

Brand new for about 30,000 dollars means about 15 lac indian rupees for Rear wheel drive car , sports look.
can't really call its full on legend because you have to spend another 10000 dollars on that to make it run like a dream.

ITs going to be the future Rice Machine

If you are any other carmaker, this is really not what you want to hear on a Friday morning: The industry's 800-pound gorilla and one of its most profitable brands are joining forces. If you are an enthusiast (or environmentalist), however, the would-be products of this collaboration may have you cheering like a Miami Heat fan.

While details are admittedly scarce, the notion of BMW and Toyota throwing in on a sports car has us tickled, especially considering how well the Japanese giant's liaison with Subaru to produce the BRZ and Scion FR-S has turned out. The other aspects of this just-announced BMW-Toyota agreement – a fuel cell system, powertrain electrification and lightweighting technology – make the project sound even more like the stuff of dreams. The expansive partnership builds on a deal between the two automakers brokered in March to collaborate on next-generation lithium-ion batteries.

Official press Release:
Companies sign MoU aimed at collaboration in four fields of technology

Tokyo/Munich. Akio Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC), met today with Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, at BMW Group headquarters in Munich to announce the planned expansion of their existing cooperation initiated in December last year. The two companies signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at long-term strategic collaboration in four fields: joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a future sports vehicle, collaboration on powertrain electrification and joint research and development on lightweight technologies.

Also today, Norbert Reithofer and Akio Toyoda of TMC both signed a Joint Statement to reconfirm their companies' shared intention to strengthen the long-term, strategic collaboration between them.

Reithofer said: "We aim to further strengthen our competitive position in sustainable future technologies. We signed an MoU to this effect today. Toyota and the BMW Group share the same strategic vision of sustainable individual future mobility. Together we have a great opportunity to continue leading our industry through this transformation."

Toyoda added: "BMW and Toyota both want to make ever-better cars. We respect each other. And I think this is shown by our taking the next step only six months since the signing of our initial agreement. Toyota is strong in environment-friendly hybrids and fuel cells. On the other hand, I believe BMW's strength is in developing sports cars. I am excited to think of the cars that will result from this relationship."

In March 2012, the BMW Group and TMC signed a binding agreement on collaborative research in the field of next-generation lithium-ion battery cells. In addition, the BMW Group and Toyota Motor Europe entered into a contract under which the BMW Group will supply highly-efficient 1.6 litre and 2.0 litre diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe, starting in 2014.

Today's MoU represents the companies' agreement in December last year to identify and discuss other possible collaborative projects.
BMW and Toyota to partner on sports car and EV tech

Akio Toyoda's Speech on the BMW Group and Toyota Collaboration

"Hello everyone. I am Akio Toyoda of Toyota Motor Corporation.

Thank you all for coming today.

Thank you Chairman Reithofer, Board Member Diess, Senior Vice President Fröhlich and all those at BMW for this opportunity.

Last December, BMW and Toyota announced a mid-to-long-term partnership on next-generation environmental technologies. Today we are announcing a new step in our partnership.

BMW has its own culture and history from many years of car manufacturing. It is a world leader in making cars of emotional appeal.

I believe cars have to be fun and have to be able to stir the emotions. Thus, I have been so excited since the end of last year about our partnership with BMW.

Our two companies share a common principle. We both believe it is our mission to make ever-better cars. This principle is the basis of our corporate management.

We are not coming together to become bigger. We are not coming together to form capital ties. We are joining hands because we want to make ever-better cars.

As a driver, I directly help vehicle development at the Nürburgring.

The Nürburgring is the toughest course there is. At the Nürburgring, the road tosses the car around. Curves seem to try to throw out the car and driver.

Roads make cars. The Nürburgring has taught me so.

That is why many carmakers test new cars at the Nürburgring. They develop cars there, while competing against other manufacturers.

But at the Nürburgring, there is always a car that passes me. It is a BMW.

BMW is not only a premium brand. BMW knows how to make a car perform. It knows more than anyone else that roads make cars.

And at the Nürburgring, it is my greatest rival.

To me, BMW earns the utmost respect.

BMW and Toyota both want to make ever-better cars. We respect each other. That is why we already can take the next step together.

I met Chairman Reithofer again today, and I felt the relationship of trust between our two companies grow stronger.

I am extremely happy to announce that we signed a joint statement as long-term strategic partners.

I very much look forward to the “car talk” between both companies’ engineers at the Nürburgring and other places where cars are developed.

The attractive and emotional products we plan cannot be born in conference rooms. They can only be the result of real car talk where development actually takes place.

And I could not be happier if Chairman Reithofer and I were able to join such car talk.

Let me now mention the areas of new collaboration between our two companies.

BMW and Toyota agreed to explore possible collaborations in four areas. They are fuel cell system technologies, sports cars, electrification and light weight technology.

Toyota is strong in environment-friendly hybrids and fuel cells. I am confident these technologies will be useful to BMW.

On the other hand, I believe BMW’s strength is developing sports cars. I get so excited thinking about the cars that will result from this relationship.

I think I can say that I am the one who is most looking forward to a sports car that is environment-friendly and truly excites car fans around the world.

I am sure working with BMW will enhance Toyota’s drive to make ever-better cars.

Thank you."

@Visran buddy:Thanks for the speech,it made my day..
Whatever one may say but after reading the above piece of speech I too have developed some hope to see some sportier Toyotas in the near future.
The speech of Mr.Toyoda is really very much inspiring and confidence boosting.Way to go Toyota..shred your reputation as play-it-safe car maker to sporty brand now.

Deal between Toyota and BMW, which is supposed to spell out “fun”, “light”, “efficient” and “green”, all in the same sentence, Sound's very enticing for any auto enthusiast.

^^Actually this combo of fun+light+efficient+green is quite easy to achieve as compared to powerful+efficient and hence it feels quite possible too.
This is the reason its enticing the enthusiasts.

^^Actually this combo of fun+light+efficient+green is quite easy to achieve as compared to powerful+efficient and hence it feels quite possible too.
This is the reason its enticing the enthusiasts.
Agree with you buddy, let's hope the love child of this partnership come's to our market as well.

Agree with you buddy, let's hope the love child of this partnership come's to our market as well.
Right you are.
Toyota=Reliability.
BMW=Appeal.

Now I hope the car from this partnership will have both:Reliability and appeal.Then definitely this will be a car to go for.
Only I wish the car will have a 'T' badge as the BMW badge will skyrocket its price a bit too much.

Read this news last week on my phone's app ! Was surprised when BMW would be supplying diesel engines to Toyota, while Toyota will help in making hybrid or green vehicles.

Hope they collectively launch new car, else we may get BMW 3 series as Toyota Camry at 30% lower or Corolla Altis would be BMW 2 series for 20L.[lol]

And BMW, Toyota is known to provide cramped legspace, continue to be German, else several buyers will shift away from BMW.

I know 1 fellow who wanted to buy Volvo S60 but canceled it after he was informed that now it is Chinese. [lol]

Read this news last week on my phone's app ! Was surprised when BMW would be supplying diesel engines to Toyota, while Toyota will help in making hybrid or green vehicles.
Eh,BMW will supply diesel engines to Toyota!!
So is it the end of D-4D?

Hope they collectively launch new car, else we may get BMW 3 series as Toyota Camry at 30% lower or Corolla Altis would be BMW 2 series for 20L.[lol]
Eh,you never leave a chance to make fun.I just like it.

And BMW, Toyota is known to provide cramped legspace, continue to be German, else several buyers will shift away from BMW.
But Corolla,Camry and 5 series and above,all have good legroom too.

I know 1 fellow who wanted to buy Volvo S60 but canceled it after he was informed that now it is Chinese. [lol]
Haha,once again.[lol]

Eh,BMW will supply diesel engines to Toyota!!
So is it the end of D-4D?
Don't know about current line up but in future quite possible. Look at Fiat, giving multijet to Tata, Maruti. Similar maybe the case with BMW & Toyota.

And we may then see 5 series prius or similar. [;)]

Eh,you never leave a chance to make fun.I just like it.
Thanks. It is always better to keep the mood light. Helps me too.

But Corolla,Camry and 5 series and above,all have good legroom too.
Never driven or sat in Camry so can't comment. 5 series not driven though seen & found leg room good but far less than E Class.
And Corolla, buddy, the legs get stuck in dashboard. Will upload the pics.

Another new development in this partnership;

In December 2011, Toyota Motor Company and BMW Group entered a partnership to share hybrid and diesel technologies. BMW would held the Japanese automaker with small four-cylinder diesel engines, and Toyota is to provide hybrid technology. As recently as this March, they also agreed to jointly develop lithium-ion batteries.

Akio Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC), met today with Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, at BMW Group headquarters in Munich to announce that their cooperation would be expanded.

A new memorandum of understanding was signed, under which the two companies will collaborate in four fields: joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a future sports vehicle, collaboration on powertrain electrification and joint research and development on lightweight technologies.

"We aim to further strengthen our competitive position in sustainable future technologies. Toyota and the BMW Group share the same strategic vision of sustainable individual future mobility. Together we have a great opportunity to continue leading our industry through this transformation," said BMW board member, Norbert Reithofer.

"BMW and Toyota both want to make ever-better cars. We respect each other. That is why we already can take the next step together," added Akio Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corporation. “Toyota is strong in environment-friendly hybrids and fuel cells … I believe BMW’s strength is developing sports cars. I get so excited thinking about the cars that will result from this relationship.”
BMW and Toyota to Develop Future Sportscar Together - autoevolution

I am sure Vipul will love this news

Top Bottom