Top Tips for City Driving

As always if am making any mistakes here please feel free to correct me, Thanks .

Hey Sidd7hartha please dont get offended but i think you are confused about how Engine,Clutch, Brake , Gearbox and Accelerator works . Please go to howstuffworks.com and read articles about above mentioned topics. I think once you understand mechanics/mechanical part of vehicle you will feel comfortable and confidant driving your car and other cars also. Please please don't feel offended and i too learnt same way by understanding mechanics of car.

Please don't pump brakes few times before braking of starting your car , as now a days braking system are much advanced and there no need to pump brakes. Pumping will make matter worse for you (please correct me here ).

Back to topic : TIPS

Always change lanes in advance :- If I've to take U/Left/Right turn i prefer to change lane well in advance so that i won't be disturbing traffic when i've to take turn at junction .

If I intend to slow down say from a speed 30 Km/hr to 10 km/hr shall I apply clutch(full press) & break simultaneously or only break?
Most of our driving schools/teachers always instruct us to press the clutch first before applying brakes to slow the vehicle. So mostly we are riding the clutch when we are out of such schools. When I went for training at Maruti Driving School(MDS), they even told me to start the engine only after pressing the clutch. But when I gave my car for service at Hyundai ASS, they told me the following,

1. Do not press clutch to start the engine,

2. Press the brake before releasing the Hand brake

3. Check the console for any indications before slotting in the gears.

4. When you are driving in the city don't press the clutch fully because the vehicle may lurch forward and told me to apply brakes first. Then based on the need to press the clutch to change gears.

5. Always press the clutch only for changing of gears except in B2B traffic in first gear. Here also don't wait for a long time in gear.

So my advice is first don't worry about clutch usage/mileage, settle in to a nice safe driving rhythm. Once you are comfortable in your driving style, then curb your instincts in riding the clutch and use it only during change of gears.

This is my personal opinion only and may not be suitable for everybody. Drive safe.

Most of our driving schools/teachers always instruct us to press the clutch first before applying brakes to slow the vehicle. So mostly we are riding the clutch when we are out of such schools. When I went for training at Maruti Driving School(MDS), they even told me to start the engine only after pressing the clutch. But when I gave my car for service at Hyundai ASS, they told me the following,

1. Do not press clutch to start the engine,

2. Press the brake before releasing the Hand brake

3. Check the console for any indications before slotting in the gears.

4. When you are driving in the city don't press the clutch fully because the vehicle may lurch forward and told me to apply brakes first. Then based on the need to press the clutch to change gears.

5. Always press the clutch only for changing of gears except in B2B traffic in first gear. Here also don't wait for a long time in gear.

So my advice is first don't worry about clutch usage/mileage, settle in to a nice safe driving rhythm. Once you are comfortable in your driving style, then curb your instincts in riding the clutch and use it only during change of gears.

This is my personal opinion only and may not be suitable for everybody. Drive safe.
MDS manual for driving also says----- it is a good practice to start pressing clutch fully.[confused]

MDS manual for driving also says----- it is a good practice to start pressing clutch fully.[confused]
Nothing is gonna happen if one starts the vehicle with clutch pressed(all push button start mechanisms insist on pressing clutch), but while pressing clutch,never press accelerator.
Clutch and accelerator are active only during a hill ascent release that too,clutch in half position,where it acts as brake.
International driving tips say better to hold handbrake and release during hill ascent than straining clutch .

Top Bottom