Tomas Ernberg replaces Paul de Voijs as Volvo Auto India MD

Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
Volvo Auto India today announced the appointment of Mr. Tomas Ernberg as the Managing Director of the company. He will be responsible for the overall planning and operations in India. Mr. Ernberg has taken over from Mr. Paul de Voijs who completed his stint successfully in India. Mr. Ernberg, 40, has been associated with Volvo for past 17 years. He was last posted in Dubai as the Regional Managing Director for Volvo, where he managed 13 markets in the Middle East and North Africa. Under the leadership of Mr. de Voijs, Volvo grew significantly in India, which included launches of two luxury SUVs XC90 & XC60 and two luxury sedans S80 & S60.

Mr. de Voijs, former Managing Director, Volvo Auto India said, “These are exciting times for Volvo in India with a strong future ahead. I would like to thank the media, my team, our partners and our customers for supporting my journey in India. I am confident that Volvo will continue its trajectory of growth under the leadership of Tomas.” Mr. Tomas Ernberg, Managing Director, Volvo Auto India said, “India is one of the fastest growing markets for Volvo and holds great promise. I am extremely excited about my new role and I look forward to further strengthen Volvo’s presence here. We have invested considerable time and effort in understanding Indian customers and offering them world-class products. I personally hope to learn from every challenge that unfolds. Together with my team, we will strive to take Volvo Auto India a notch higher with every opportunity.”

A Volvo veteran, having spent 17-years with the company, Tomas embarked upon his journey with Volvo in 1994 as the Tourist and Diplomat Sales Manager at Volvo Cars, Turkey. He later moved on to work in several management positions including Network, Marketing and Sales. In March 2008, Tomas assumed the role of Regional Managing Director, based in Dubai. He managed 13 markets in the Middle East and North Africa there.
Fluent in speaking Swedish, English, Turkish, Spanish and few Arabic languages, Tomas has travelled extensively, across geographies. A Swede born in Spain, he has lived in Nigeria, Argentina, Malaysia, Sweden, Turkey and United Arab Emirates. Tomas is an outdoor person and likes playing Tennis in his free time. Source: Motoroids

350Z

Core Team
Paul De Voijs has played a significant role to drive the Volvo India Division to newer heights in a limited time span. He sure will be greatly missed and remembered. On the other hand, I would also like to congratulate Tomas for his new role in the company. India is such an emerging market which can either set a particular new product as a benchmark in its segment or totally bury in the sand if not met up to the expectations. You just need to closely follow audience and thoroughly analyze and understand their needs. Let’s hope we see some more exciting and competitive cars from Volvo India in nearing future. Good luck Mr.Ernberg.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi, first good move by new MD is to remove features and cut down prices of Volvo cars.

Volvo Auto India plans to launch stripped-down variants of some of its models to boost sales in an economy where rivals BMW, Audi and Mercedes are seeing an upswing in luxury car sales.

"We may consider removing some features to be price competitive ," said Tomas Ernberg, the newly appointed managing director of Volvo Auto India.

Volvo does not manufacture cars in India. Its current range of products are imported, making them expensive than its competitors. The Volvo cars are priced in the range of Rs 38 lakh to Rs 55 lakh. The import duty in India is as high as 110% which makes unviable to make the models price competitive.
Volvo Auto India plans cheaper variants to boost sales - Economic Times

Hmmm personally i am not a fan of these stripped down luxury cars. What is the use in spending so much money when you cant enjoy the car and all its features fully. I would like to see them taking the CKD route instead.

Would be happy if they start something here itself rather than making stuffs as CBU. [:)]
Chennai is still open [;)]

350Z

Core Team
Hmmm personally i am not a fan of these stripped down luxury cars. What is the use in spending so much money when you cant enjoy the car and all its features fully. I would like to see them taking the CKD route instead.
Let us also not forget that price is going to be reduced too at the same time as the features are taken off. I’m happy with the decision and quickness of new head honcho all for the development of Volvo India. Presently, S60 is more than a couple of lakhs expensive than the base BMW 3 Series and Mercedes Benz C-Class. Of course, but then it also have a bigger engine, features and dimensions over all but what’s the use of that when people in this market are concerned for more status than the luxury? This is precisely why the BMW and Merc easily fetch more sales while Volvo is still to establish the brand. And for this, only competitive pricing can help them, which can be achieved by cutting off some features that a buyer can overlook for once. I am all in for this move (if performed wisely).

Drive Safe,
350Z

Let us also not forget that price is going to be reduced too at the same time as the features are taken off. I’m happy with the decision and quickness of new head honcho all for the development of Volvo India. Presently, S60 is more than a couple of lakhs expensive than the base BMW 3 Series and Mercedes Benz C-Class. Of course, but then it also have a bigger engine, features and dimensions over all but what’s the use of that when people in this market are concerned for more status than the luxury? This is precisely why the BMW and Merc easily fetch more sales while Volvo is still to establish the brand. And for this, only competitive pricing can help them, which can be achieved by cutting off some features that a buyer can overlook for once. I am all in for this move (if performed wisely).

Drive Safe,
350Z

It was just my view buddy , i understand this boost the sales for them. But for me this strategy , no! If at all i am able to afford one i will never buy a stripped down luxury car like the Bmw corporate edition or as a matter fact never a base model again.[:)]

Top Bottom