Swift VDi 40K Service - Inputs Required

Thread Starter #1
All gurus out there,
My swifty just touched 38K Kms in odo over the weekend.

In the recent months, have been noticing considerable drop in pickup. My vdi which had touched 150kph with ease a year ago, is now literally crawling after 100kph to even touch 120kph
I could relate the reason to more city driving and looks like the air-filter has to be completely replaced.

Spoke with an SA in MASS(U M Cars) and he asks me to wait till 40k kms, which seems to be another 3 months away, considering in fact, my usage. But, to my irony, I have been facing the drop in pickup atleast for the past 3 months. Got the air-filter cleaned once, but its not helping much.

The following are the major changes planned to be done in 40k Kms
Air filter - replace
EGR Cleaning
Fuel Filter - replace
Oil Flush
Clutch
A/C DUct cleaning
One of my the dual horns in the stock horn seems to have gone kaput.

Now my question here is should I still wait for the odo to reach 40K kms or shall I have the work done with another MASS with 38K on the odo itself.
I m not quiet happy with U M Cars and am planning to leave it to Suraksha in Bommanahalli - any pointers to that will also be really helpful.

Want to bring back my swifty to her real power.

Much appreciate all your inputs in this regard !!

If money is not a problem, I would say go for a service NOW. Why wait for another 2000kms when you know that something is so perceptibly wrong?

If money is not a problem, I would say go for a service NOW. Why wait for another 2000kms when you know that something is so perceptibly wrong?
Yes, waiting will only make the problem worse. I would suggest get hold of some good SA in a MASS(some other dealer) personally and make him inspect the car, if possible, outside of the service center(personally, you know what I mean).
There are a lot of things where you can save money. Ask him for the condition of the spark plug too and change it if required.
It generally gets changed in the period of 40-45k kms and has a potential role in the overall performance of the vehicle.

Good Luck !!

Last edited:
well, i am actually facing the same problem with my swift VDI too. It has done around 70k. and i actually did everything and now trying desperately to figure out why there is a drop in the pickup. took it to the best places around still the problem persists. i was wondering if it is a problem with the intercooler cause everything else i am ruled out for now. i need inputs please. and PS - even the turbo has been checked all blades seem to be fine and no problems at all. it just looks like i am spending a bomb shell on the car but still no pick up.

A drop in pickup could be because of a veriety of factors. Please be more descriptive about your problem so that a correct diagnosis could be made by experts on this forum.

To be specific I really did every thing from what the list is in the first post, I am having the same exact problem. I was just wondering if changing the intercooler and the hose pipes could do the trick, am I rite?

Thread Starter #7
First of all, sincere apologies to everyone about not updating this thread.

Did a service of my car at 39K. Could not manage to leave it at 38K, since required the car very badly for the last 2 months.

Went to Surakshaa, Bommannahalli first on a day in the afternoon to first check how long and how much it will take it for them to service. Found the Service Manager Lokesh to be a bit informed and he knew whatever he spoke.

He first rode the car and I did mention about the drop in pickup. I asked him whether it would require a EGR cleaning to be done, knowing the nuances of removing and refitting the EGR. He honestly said, I will not touch the EGR unless and until it is absolutely wanted. He said, the drop in pickup can be fixed by other works and it does not necessarily and always linked to EGR.
Noticed a stiffness in my steering play and told them too and they noted it out.

So, on the day of service, left the car with them and quoted all that is mentioned in the first post of this thread. Got a call from them in the afternoon and they said the regular jobs(Air Filter replace, Fuel filter, Intercooler cleaning, Oil replace etc) are done, but threw a bomb on me. My power steering motor had some serious issues and was quoted an amount of around 28K for changing powersteering assembly and they said they are trying to fix it, but admitted honestly that it might work and it might not also. The reason for the same has been attributed to some serious impact while driving. I had admitted that during one of my trip to kerala, while following a bus, I had indeed driven into a pothole and that should have created an impact.

The car was not available for delivery on the same day, so had to go again on the next day to get it.

The car was ready and was told they have avoided replacing the power steering by fixing it. Drove the car, and found that the steering play was very light in the LHS play but was more tight than ever before in the RHS play. I told them this and they requested me to drive for a couple of days and see and if nothing improves, then they will have to go for a PS assembly replace.

Took the car from them half heartedly and drove around for 200 kms including a short drive on the Highway. I could see that the stiffness around the RHS steering play was quiet tough that in a couple of places I had to use more muscle power to get a proper "U" turn. There was also a "kadak" noice coming from near the steering which I was not sure about why. Tried removing all the "chota-mota" things you put in the door panel, near and below the headunit, but nothing helped.

Again called them up and asked them to order for the power steering assembly and inform me once its available with them. They called me within 2-3 days, saying they are ready with the new assembly. Left the car again with them and had the change done in half day. Now the steering play is much better than it used to be earlier, but not the best yet. Mr. Lokesh adviced me the reason for this could also be due to the upsizing of my tyre(195/60 R14). They said the kadak noice was arrested and in the post service test drive, did not hear it much.

Now, after such a long post, to summarize,

Total Damages done -
Regular service - around 10K.
Power Steering Assembly replace during the second visit - around 25K.

Pickup - has defenitely improved a lot. No sluggishness or struggling to gain the pickup.
Power Steering Play - Better, but not the best. Waiting for few more kms to be done to change the tyres to 185/65 R14 and then see the play.
The "kadak" sound emenating from the front - Not satisfied with this and need some extensive analysis to be done to even first identify the source and then to fix it.
Brakes are not the best as it used to be, but defenitely manageable.

Rajeev, I hope your problem can be solved by proper intercooler cleaning and if it still doesn't help, may be its time you look at your EGR.

Hamster why don't you try Sagar Automobiles, my zen was serviced there earlier.

But now it's being done at Solotech.

But consult few other places before you authorize a work to be carried out.

Top Bottom