Supreme Court’s Order – No Sunfilms Allowed from 4th May 2012

What should be the legal limit of our side Windows?

• Total voters
Re: Supreme Court Orders – No Sunfilms Allowed from 4th May 2012

ac railway coaches yeah soon they will say no remove the films due to people doing crime on trains like drinking alcohol or un appropriate behavior in these coaches due to a sun film.
ramrajya :lol!:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

what about cars with clear glass and female passengers won't people easily stare at them while they are seated in their cars and make them feel uneasy, while with sun films which are legally approved its not so clear to stare and the female passengers feel a little sense of privacy?

i totally agree with this , even my friends discussed the same thing. those morons continuously stares as if they haven't seen a women [anger][anger]

Dear Members,
Ref. SC judgement reg total ban on films used in four wheelers. The judgement was given by Hon Chief Justice S.H.Kapadia, A.K. Patnaik & Swatantrakumar JJ on PIL filed by Avishekh Goenka Vs. Union of India & Anr by CIVIL WP No. 265 of 2011 decided on 27-4-2012 with reference to Motor Vehicles-Window Glass Visibility-Ban on black films on windows.
The petitioner prayed for before the Court to issue a Writ or direction requiring use of such safety glasses on the windows/windshields in vehicles having 100% Visual Light Transmission (for short VLT) only and to that extent , the petitioner challenges the correctness of Rule 100 of the Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989.

The court stated that in face of the language of the Rule, we cannot grant the petitioner the relief prayed for that there should be 100% VLT. This Court cannot issue directions that vehicles should have glass with 100% VLT. Rule 100 of the Rules is a valid piece of legislation and is on the statute book. Once such provision exists this Court cannot issue directions contrary to the provisions of the law. Thus, we decline to grant this prayer to the petitioner.

However, the prayer relating to issuance of directions prohibiting use of black films on the glasses of vehicles certainly has merit.

Rule 100 says the car must have safety glass having VLT at the time of manufacturing 70% for windscreen and 50% for side windows.

Therefore as per ISI standard and MotorVehicles Rules, the car companies are required to manufacture glass of above standard only.

If the glass so manufactured already has the VLT as specified, then the question of further reducing it by any means shall be in clear violation of Rule 100 as well as the prescribed IS.
Unquote
In short no additional films are allowed on the glass which is already manufactured by the above specification in IS and Rule 100.

Therefore, I feel that the judgement says all types of films used in the glass are not permissible and hence to be removed.

Thanks and Regards
Ashok Nair

Guys, Just wondering Is this a rule in Bangalore also? I mean is it implemented?

Why worry so much for films..
you can always go for curtails. Do the judgement say no curtains
Also we look foe curtains like the ones in audi.
they must be available in delhi

Last edited by a moderator:

good point but wouldn't they start on the curtains soon after? since they are saying sun films allow criminal activities in cars.

As per hon'ble supreme court of india's judgement ,got my cars sun film removed today. sun rem.jpg

Why worry so much for films..
you can always go for curtails.....Do the judgement say no curtains
Also we look foe curtains like the ones in audi...
they must be available in delhi
Why shouldn't I worry ?
I have spend a fortune installing them, of course I had to pay tax to same government who has banned it after eating my money .

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

@ shona - your's weren't black.
this is mine. its not black but golden-ish color.

this is mine. i don't think i have to remove these :\

But what is the assurance that crime won't happen after removing tints, those criminals can still use curtains and whether thereare tints on glass or not, no can see whats happening inside car in night time. [angry][frustration]

Why shouldn't I worry ?
I have spend a fortune installing them, of course I had to pay tax to same government who has banned it after eating my money .
Like you everyone has paid tax on the films.
I guess you should read the attachment in post no 7 by tornado78 it clarifies a lot.The emphasis has been put against BLACK films and not on 70-50 which are permitted by RTO themselves...
more so ever it would be much better if the advice is taken from RTO before removing the 70-50 films.
My suggestion only

The darkest films that i see on the roads are the ones fitted on police vehicles(DySP ,SP and other higher ranks included), District collectors,and even on some of the honorable ministers' official vehicles.
When will these be removed? [thinking][thinking]

yeah they have those dark tints not only them but political leaders and their party members, won't criminal activities take place in their car?

jayesh theres lots of confusions i guess the delhi guys will let us know more about this from friday onwards.

Dear Members,
Ref. SC judgement reg total ban on films used in four wheelers. The judgement was given by Hon Chief Justice S.H.Kapadia, A.K. Patnaik & Swatantrakumar JJ on PIL filed by Avishekh Goenka Vs. Union of India & Anr by CIVIL WP No. 265 of 2011 decided on 27-4-2012 with reference to Motor Vehicles-Window Glass Visibility-Ban on black films on windows.
The petitioner prayed for before the Court to issue a Writ or direction requiring use of such safety glasses on the windows/windshields in vehicles having 100% Visual Light Transmission (for short VLT) only and to that extent , the petitioner challenges the correctness of Rule 100 of the Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989.

The court stated that in face of the language of the Rule, we cannot grant the petitioner the relief prayed for that there should be 100% VLT. This Court cannot issue directions that vehicles should have glass with 100% VLT. Rule 100 of the Rules is a valid piece of legislation and is on the statute book. Once such provision exists this Court cannot issue directions contrary to the provisions of the law. Thus, we decline to grant this prayer to the petitioner.

However, the prayer relating to issuance of directions prohibiting use of black films on the glasses of vehicles certainly has merit.

Rule 100 says the car must have safety glass having VLT at the time of manufacturing 70% for windscreen and 50% for side windows.

Therefore as per ISI standard and MotorVehicles Rules, the car companies are required to manufacture glass of above standard only.

If the glass so manufactured already has the VLT as specified, then the question of further reducing it by any means shall be in clear violation of Rule 100 as well as the prescribed IS.
Unquote
In short no additional films are allowed on the glass which is already manufactured by the above specification in IS and Rule 100.

Therefore, I feel that the judgement says all types of films used in the glass are not permissible and hence to be removed.

Thanks and Regards
Ashok Nair
this would be applicable to tinted glasses right?

what about the 100% VLT ones. there films should not be banned right?

Last edited:

Top Bottom