Superstitious Beliefs of People on Roads

I don't believe in all kinds of superstition. To my advantage my parents and my wife also does not believe in such things.

I always believe (my personal take,no intention to hurt anybody) that this as a disease which is an indication of a weak human mind.

I do not believe in these things. Years back my car was badly damaged when it hit a herd of wild pigs. My car was repaired within 5 days, however as soon as it was back, my dad's friend advised him to sell off the car since pig hit (ac to him) is considered bad omen.
I too killed a pig 1 year ago while I was coming from village in my Safari. there was no damage to Safari but pig was in two part. heck I care

I believe in only one thing
GOD
as long as he is with me I can face any problem world can throw

Thread Starter #18

350Z

Core Team
Nice experiences and thoughts everyone. I think, Thetraveller has precisely answered the reason for the superstitious beliefs in the last sentence and also why they sometimes turn out to be true. Someone rightly said, “Think Positive”.

I too killed a pig 1 year ago while I was coming from village in my Safari. there was no damage to Safari but pig was in two part. heck I care
Don’t wish to get into this debate but killing an animal or showing no mercy for it is definitely not the best thing a human can do. Personally I’m strictly against of it and would never encourage the same.

Drive Safe,
350Z

what i mean is that i didn't killed that pig forcefully but suddenly from no where this pig came infront of my car while i was at speed of 80 . I was saying i don't care about superstitions stuff related to pig .
About that pig i paid owner money for it and even said sorry couldn't stop safari on time .

I am not against animal even haven't even install leather seat just because i am against animal killing for skin

Thread Starter #20

350Z

Core Team
Thanks for clarifying. Your previous post made an impression as if the case was other way round.

Drive Safe,
350Z

yesterday a puppy crossed in front of my car and i had to brake to a stop. usually i wouldn't have given it a second thought, but having read about jaydev's experiences i was apprehensive for a few minutes. well nothing happened[;)]

Last edited:
I would suggest do not follow what others say or experience. it is that reason which makes certain facts a superstition.

Look through your own eyes.there are certain things which we tend to get used to then we will never realize.
life is so mysterious. some people blame cats or kill black cats considering bad omen but i say cat was just a sign an indication to help us ,it was us whom did not heed to it and end up in trouble.

I remember a Hollywood movie "Matrix" which had similar theme regarding beliefs and faith.

Day of solar eclipses are considered to be very much inauspicious as per Hindu mythology. many people in India remain buzy in there house with chants and meditation , several temples have serious functions and rituals on same day. I remember in my young age couple of people told me they are all superstitions and nonsense but later i realized eclipses give rise to high radiations of X-rays and cosmic radiations which can hamper the growth of cells as well as neural systems.

Superstitions are same as when Galileo said in 16th century that earth revolves around the sun not vice-versa when everybody laughed at him and considered him crazy and superstitious.

Hmmm nice thread with some experiences!

I personally don't follow any superstition except for one thing , whenever i leave my home if i trip on the door way i always get back home sit and drink some water and then leave. Once i tripped like this 3 years ago , my mom asked me to come relax and go but i was in a hurry and i left home immediately. I got involved in an bike accident with my friend that night and fractured my right hand and needed complete bedrest for a month.

My mom is the one who is superstitious at home. Whenever we leave home for a long journey she always makes sure we leave during an auspicious time. Again on a long road trip my parents make it a point to listen to devotional songs for 5 minutes atleast first. Mom says strictly no black colored vehicle but forced my mom to accept for my black Pulsar though. Dad says to avoid vehicles whose registration number sums up to 8.

But i know a friend who has all his vehicles numbers adding upto 8 only. Recently he got his Vento's number as 4445.

Hmmm nice thread with some experiences!

My mom is the one who is superstitious at home. Whenever we leave home for a long journey she always makes sure we leave during an auspicious time. Again on a long road trip my parents make it a point to listen to devotional songs for 5 minutes atleast first. Mom says strictly no black colored vehicle but forced my mom to accept for my black Pulsar though. Dad says to avoid vehicles whose registration number sums up to 8.

Ditto same thing in my case too.
Especially during long drives and early morning, it would be devotional songs as starters.[lol]

Last edited:
You know to me, some of the posts are funny, and some others are outrageously ridiculous. I don't disagree with any of the beliefs above because they might matter to them, I just don't agree that they matter in my life. Here, most of us are religious people, and it's only natural to pray for safety with the higher power (god) when we face uncertainty (of our existence) on the roads.

But I agree on one thing. With all the traffic, madness and lawlessness, all of us are actually "Driving on a Prayer". So, when I see my driver praying before he moves the car, or when I see an idol of a favorite god on the dash of any car, I can relate to them, in my own way.

I believe in this. God has nothing to do with your survival on the road, it's another man that has everything to do with it.

Seeing it from a different perspective, for someone that does not believe in our god, mythology and/or culture, what might amaze him or her is not just our beliefs in these superstitions but the belief in these beliefs itself i.e., how much we WANT to believe that we are not in control of our lives.

Last edited:
there are several road side shrines where we all put some money and pray for safe journey. it doesn't matter which religion it belongs to, its safety on the roads all are praying for.

I won't discredit any of the beliefs on this forum. There are certain things that act as "omens" or indicators to future events and I have seen too many of them to discount their value in anticipating events of the future.

Before long journeys we make it a point to break a coconut in a small roadside temple. Again, long journeys should begin in the daytime, preferably early morning and either before or after the inauspicious time.

Again, where there is a serious road accident and a person or persons has actually died on the spot, we avoid stopping or seeing the scene of the accident. Not much could be done anyway and crowding on the spot will only lead to chaos and confusion. Not saying that I am callous or anything, but it is just very disturbing to view an accident on the road and continue a journey. Better call off the journey in case you stop and assist on the scene, in that case, since your mind will be disturbed and anxious.

Again, I half-believe in omens like cat crossing. It's not that they are directly bad or influential, but because our human mind is attuned to certain things, we would feel naturally distressed by certain things and so we avoid them. That is a price paid for peace of mind. Very few people actually DON'T believe in omens. They might outwardly not believe, but if they are agitated in the mind, that itself is proof that the superstition has some power.

As they say, ignorance is bliss. Not knowing about a superstition might be better than knowing about it and then trying to rationalize.

I believe in this. God has nothing to do with your survival on the road, it's another man that has everything to do with it.
I feel strange about it, either negatively or positively people bring god into it. Theist or atheist, i see them as either side of coin .
neither do i find any incident to be related to god or bad omen or paap-punya.
Any Incident happening are on its own accord. it is for our own conviction we see cause and effect.
Though nature shows indications or maybe we are enough intelligent to understand signs beforehand.Indications may look scary like a horror story or movie. even though you know that it is only a movie or moving picture on white screens yet all your emotions go havoc ,some people call it belief some call it superstitions.

some petty things like your car's brake fails and you bump into nearby wall or tree or a branch of tree fall on your car while on the move, or a meteorite fall over your head!!! -whom you can blame ? the manufacturer or service center or God or your own bad luck?

More we go deeper into cause and effect circle we realize it is all chaos or we are not enough clever to understand .
The point of chaos is illogical and irrational and our brain stops normal functioning where we humans rely on hopes like rituals,god,omens or Own Mother etc or remain stunned!!!.

Top Bottom