Segway Personal Mobility Solution in India

Thread Starter #1
hey guys this thing is coming in india but its costs whoopin 4 lakhs!!

The local manufacturing facility will help to cater to the Indian market and also adapt the Segway machines for efficient use on Indian off and on road conditions. As taxes are lower for local assembly operations, we expect further boost in sales this year. - Ankur Bhatia, executive director of Bird Group

Attachments

Similar to segway there is this brand called airwheel who also sells self balancing mobility solutions. They have many models to choose from and some of the models starts from Rs 30-40K range. We should promote Segway, airwheel and such green means of commutation for the sake of environment. Also these companies should cut down their prices to make it a popular choice of people for local commute!.

Segway joyride in Delhi
segway-delhi1.jpg
Source

Some enthusiastic Airwheel riders
airwheel1.jpg
Source

Last edited:
That's cool but way too expensive. I have seen it in the movie Paul blart the mall cop movie. Nice one though. If the prices start from 30-40K it's not a bad idea to invest in saving the pollution.

To tell the truth,this is of no use for common man in a heavily populated area like India.I may be wrong,but these are my observations. To use this,you need roads,you need electricity and two legs.When you have two legs and good roads,we walk or use a two wheeler.If you are thinking about environment,you must use your legs to walk rather than standing on these. These machines,cannot climb steps and this will be an added baggage when you go in and out of your apartments. The only use I can see is inside educational/research campuses, where you have flat/pothole less roads and there is a considerable amount of distance between two buildings. I think this is the reason even in the western countries,this had not caught up well.There are newer machines available in the market .Watch here-Youtube

Last edited:
To tell the truth,this is of no use for common man in a heavily populated area like India.
I agree with you, using this for commutation is not a feasible option in 90% or more areas in our country. But there are few 'planned city' kind of places in some major cities (I know some of such places in Pune) where work, home, shopping centers and eateries are all in close proximity. These along with college campuses and malls as you said, are the prospective locus for such unicycles and other self balancing mobiles in India as of today!. In future, elsewhere in India hopefully. Its not just about going green but for fun as well. Who won't love the experience of smoothly sliding along in the crowd like a superhero! [:D]. But as you said it can't any day act as a replacement for walking or two wheelers.

@vikyjoshi, you said you will buy a Nano in place of a Segway, in that case will you buy a Volvo bus when you need a Jaguar XJ if price is the only thing that matters?[lol]. Jokes apart, these segway things are way too costly and impractical for average Indian public at present. But even now there are some comparatively cheaper (<50K) models available. Once this market expands there is a fair chance of prices coming down!. Have a look at the booming bicycle market in India, now there are plenty of takers for carbon bodied cycles that costs hundreds of thousands!. Who would have imagined such a thing to happen few years back[:)]!. Cycles already surpassed that 'I would rather buy a scooter/car' phase in India!.

Last edited:
As long as major portion of our electricity is generated by coal, electricity can't be truly environmental friendly. This is one more gadget which will add to electricty deficit. Hope they don't make it cheap[:)]

Top Bottom