Sedans v/s SUVs - Your Personal Pick?

Sedan or SUV

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #31
Re: The BIG Debate: Sedans v/s SUVs

Well i think your experiences with SUV'S so far are very bad buddy and so i think you are calling them as mini-trucks and all.
Reason is this, based on my personal experience:-

> Scorpio is more of upgraded Bolero. Remember scorpio is not true SUV but maybe MUV+.

> Ford Endevor, Toyota Fortuner feel like truck to drive & to be in at. Sat in Endevor for 3 hrs non-stop & it was one of my worst travel. I was continously shifting left & right due to big body roll [anger].

> The above mentioned type of vehicles are more of LIVE GOODS mover than PEOPLE MOVER. These are meant for carrying goods & not humans in reality. Unfortunately, Indians don't know what is meant by SUV in reality. Car cos name something as SUV & people buy it blindly.

Firstly i generally like sedans so i voted for car.

But secondly for our construction business an SUV is a must to tackle bad roads in some case non-existent too which a sedan can never traverse , to carry the goods sometimes in urgent case. In our case we like travelling by road so we find SUV'S more comfortable than sedans and also generally SUV'S are more safer in case of an accident.
I agree about the work based profile of vehicle. But then, I have also traveled in a tractor (not joking) as there hardly was any road & being monsoons, tyres could get stuck. Now, this doesn't mean that tractors are superior than UVs [lol].

As far as safety is concerned, I would anytime feel lot more safer in cars like Honda Accord than Ford Endevour. Now how many UVs provide 6+ airbags ?
Again, a sedan can make a 11th hour CUT to avoid oncoming vehicle, but SUV will ram straight & if it does try to take severe CUT, it will simple topple.

Some of negatives of owning an SUV are marginally lower FE but you compensate that by carrying more people , driving in tight streets and parking problem.
Forget FE, but how many times you need to travel with more than 4-5 people out of 365 days/year ? Driving in tight corners, cars are far better off for the simple reason that turning radius of UVs is far more than comparable car.
Parking prob ?? Didn't get it in this context.

And by saying SUV'S have more luggage space don't see only the boot space. Some people who drive single always too prefer an SUV sometimes if they need to carry luggage. Fold both the rows and you will get MASSIVE boot space in an SUV.
Correct. Now calculate how many passengers you carry. So, at the end of the day, if there are 7 people, you can't carry luggage & if you are going to carry 4 people with luggage, then even sedan can do it, that too more comfortably.

And why i say SUV'S are safer in case of accident. Now just imagine a sedan or hatch going head on against a heavy duty vehicle , chances are high that the sedan or hatch will completely go under the vehicle! But in case of an SUV chance for survival is higher.
Disagree. Ram a Honda Accord & Toyota Fortuner & see the results.
The saftey standards according to European norms is far higher in cars than SUVs. Also, head on collision with car can be quite less coz you can take sharp turn at 11th hour in car, while SUV will go straight.

Now some of the advantages of a sedan i see are high FE , better performance , handling and stability , more gizmos.
Comfort.

I want to ask one thing. does India have any SUV in market for less than 20lakh?

Toyota innova is nothing but a compromise to harness mass market of India. it is not at all pleasant experience to drive .sure.

fortuner is sure truck like which i drove abroad.
Correct. All so called SUVs sub-20 L are actually GOODS MOVER WITH ROOF rather than SUVs.

Real SUVs are Land Rover, Land Cruiser, Merc G Class, Audi Q7.
Rest are all truck with roof with some seats thrown in.
It is no wonder then that vehicles like Venture too are getting in for comparo here [lol].

I have owned a Sedan (Hyundai Accent) for 5 years and the Scorp for a year now. So, this is my 2 cents.

I might never buy a sedan again.
Problem here was you drove lower grade car & comparing it with a bit higher grade vehicle. If you need to do comparo with scorpio, drive a Honda City & then let us know what you feel.

*** Other SUV in petrol is the Toyota Prado.

I can see this thread moving only towards sedan and only by one person proving it,so members please support him for sedan! While there are too much of Suv lovers are on board.
SUV s are meant for Indians,because our country is a land of villages,so you guys will be knowing the conditions of the roads.So in real world apart from leaving the car freaks,if you go ask an SUV buyer to take an Honda city,he will say you pay that much for seating only 5 people?? If you take SUV/MUV you can carry more than that!

Problem here was you drove lower grade car & comparing it with a bit higher grade vehicle. If you need to do comparo with scorpio, drive a Honda City & then let us know what you feel.

*** Other SUV in petrol is the Toyota Prado.
Don't forget, Even the Low grade car he mentioned is a sedan.The thread started id for comparing Sedans VS SUVs not the grades of them.So his views are valid.

> Ford Endevor, Toyota Fortuner feel like truck to drive & to be in at. Sat in Endevor for 3 hrs non-stop & it was one of my worst travel. I was continously shifting left & right due to big body roll.

> The above mentioned type of vehicles are more of LIVE GOODS mover than PEOPLE MOVER. These are meant for carrying goods & not humans in reality. Unfortunately, Indians don't know what is meant by SUV in reality. Car cos name something as SUV & people buy it blindly.

Correct. All so called SUVs sub-20 L are actually GOODS MOVER WITH ROOF rather than SUVs.

It is no wonder then that vehicles like Venture too are getting in for comparo here.

can you please explain meaning SUV if you say so called SUV only which cost more 80+ are only SUV [anger] rest are people mover

Last edited:

the politicians preferring suvs is due to the demand of their profession. since there will be so many chamchas with him he has to take them along for which an suv is better. if he has a sedan he wouldn't be able to take them along.[lol]

> Scorpio is more of upgraded Bolero. Remember scorpio is not true SUV but maybe MUV+.
This is one of the funniest line I have read in TAI. [lol]

> Ford Endevor, Toyota Fortuner feel like truck to drive & to be in at. Sat in Endevor for 3 hrs non-stop & it was one of my worst travel. I was continously shifting left & right due to big body roll .
Its just that you are not used to an SUV.

> The above mentioned type of vehicles are more of LIVE GOODS mover than PEOPLE MOVER. These are meant for carrying goods & not humans in reality.
Simply your perception. Good. [thumbsup]

Unfortunately, Indians don't know what is meant by SUV in reality. Car cos name something as SUV & people buy it blindly.
You are an Indian? So even you dont know what an SUV actually means!

As far as safety is concerned, I would anytime feel lot more safer in cars like Honda Accord than Ford Endevour. Now how many UVs provide 6+ airbags ?
Again, a sedan can make a 11th hour CUT to avoid oncoming vehicle, but SUV will ram straight & if it does try to take severe CUT, it will simple topple.
Ram an endeavour head on to the accord. see the damage.

if you have the guts, you sit in the front seat of the accord while doing this.

Forget FE, but how many times you need to travel with more than 4-5 people out of 365 days/year ?
So, you mean people with large families should not buy SUVs? so if suppose one day I want to carry 7 passengers, I should buy an SUV that day morning, use it & sell it off in the evening & use a sedan?

Sorry buddy, not feasible.

Driving in tight corners, cars are far better off for the simple reason that turning radius of UVs is far more than comparable car.
there are many things an SUV can do which a car cannot? the list is too long for me to write.

Correct. Now calculate how many passengers you carry. So, at the end of the day, if there are 7 people, you can't carry luggage & if you are going to carry 4 people with luggage, then even sedan can do it, that too more comfortably.
What if there are 5 people & LOTS of luggage? or 6 people & luggage?

Disagree. Ram a Honda Accord & Toyota Fortuner & see the results.
yes yes yes!

I feel more comfortable in SUVs!

It is no wonder then that vehicles like Venture too are getting in for comparo here.
Audi Q7! So Audi Q7 is an SUV right?

I can bet Q7 cannot do half of the things a bolero 4WD can (forget scorpio & safari!).

Does Q7 have lockable diffs? does Q7 have low ratio? It comes with Quattro which is basically an AWD system meant for basic off roading like sand or ruts.

Can i compare Scorpio to Vento ? I will prefer the Scorpio.

Reason is this, based on my personal experience:-

I have no words for it[lol].
The upgraded versions are still there in the market.
First of all Bolero's comes with leaf springs.
There is huge difference in interiors, crumple zones etc.
Real SUVs are Audi Q7.
Q7 is a soft roader and it cant do offroading.
If i drive a Scorpio i feel, i am in commanding position.
Can view the road conditions better.

If i sit in a Honda city, i must feel when there will be next hump, when will the next hump hit the chassis.
Trail a truck, till he gives way.[lol]

Thread Starter #37

I can see this thread moving only towards sedan and only by one person proving it,so members please support him for sedan! While there are too much of Suv lovers are on board.
SUV s are meant for Indians,because our country is a land of villages,so you guys will be knowing the conditions of the roads.So in real world apart from leaving the car freaks,if you go ask an SUV buyer to take an Honda city,he will say you pay that much for seating only 5 people?? If you take SUV/MUV you can carry more than that!
You know, this is what I call as typical ATTITUDE of SUV buyers. Never settle till everyone accepts what you say. The sedan people who voted for sedan here won't comment for the simple reason they know what UV is & how it fares with sedan.

Also, I don't think anyone who stays at such a place where there are no roads will be on this forum as there won't be internet at that place either [lol]. Btw, I don't go to villages on daily basis & if 5 people is the criterion, why not ask to buy tempo traveller ? It carries 17 people at the cost of Safari !!

Don't forget, Even the Low grade car he mentioned is a sedan.The thread started id for comparing Sedans VS SUVs not the grades of them.So his views are valid.
:lol!: Now some will stand up & say Rolls Royce is worst than Scorpio !! Reason, it carries just 2 people at back !!

can you please explain meaning SUV if you say so called SUV only which cost more 80+ are only SUV [anger] rest are people mover
Put the car is 3ft water & it should come out. It is only vehicles like Range Rovers who can do this, seen a Scorpio stuck in recent rains in Pune at Bavdhan [lol].

the politicians preferring suvs is due to the demand of their profession. since there will be so many chamchas with him he has to take them along for which an suv is better. if he has a sedan he wouldn't be able to take them along.[lol]
True, this is what I already mentioned above. More the chamchas, more are the seats required.

Thread Starter #38

Its just that you are not used to an SUV.
OK. So atleast it is considered that comfort levels are not there.
So, if someone says that the red ST buses are not good, you would say...hey, it is just that you are not used to it ??

You are an Indian? So even you dont know what an SUV actually means!
Please explain how Scorpio qualifies as SUV.

Ram an endeavour head on to the accord. see the damage.
Whatever be the case, Accord passenger will come out safely.

if you have the guts, you sit in the front seat of the accord while doing this.
My friend travelling in Camry was saved due to safety features it offered when a 407 crossed the divider & hit them.

So, you mean people with large families should not buy SUVs? so if suppose one day I want to carry 7 passengers, I should buy an SUV that day morning, use it & sell it off in the evening & use a sedan?
Don't put words in my mouth. I said that just once in a while in 365 days, if you require mass mover, what's its use ?? If you need to carry large no. of people on daily basis, why SUV, you can buy a Volvo B9R dual-axle 52 seater bus too, who is stopping it ??

* PS:- When I need to carry more people, I don't buy UV in morning & sell in evening, I simply call cab service which provides me Scorpio/Innova for less than Rs.10-11/km !! Tavera is even cheaper !!
There are large no. of cabs in Pune offering Scorpio & Innovas.

there are many things an SUV can do which a car cannot? the list is too long for me to write.
Please take some effort for naive soul like me to understand UVs better :please:.

What if there are 5 people & LOTS of luggage? or 6 people & luggage?
If there is LOTS of luggage, you can hire a Tata 407 or even 20 tonner truck.
For me, a luggage of 4 fits perfectly in a boot.

Audi Q7! So Audi Q7 is an SUV right?

I can bet Q7 cannot do half of the things a bolero 4WD can (forget scorpio & safari!).
[confused] Oh, this should be informed to Audi buyers ASAP.....Audi is robbing people's money.....avoid Q7s, buy Boleros.

Ahhh, like other sedan buyers, I too think no point in discussing with those who make these statements.

Can i compare Scorpio to Vento ? I will prefer the Scorpio.
Sure.

I have no words for it[lol].
The upgraded versions are still there in the market.
First of all Bolero's comes with leaf springs.
There is huge difference in interiors, crumple zones etc.
This is what I meant by UPGRADED.

If i drive a Scorpio i feel, ...Can view the road conditions better.
Appreciate this type of logic for your preference.

If i sit in a Honda city, i must feel when there will be next hump, when will the next hump hit the chassis.
Trail a truck, till he gives way.
Lol, but I bet you won't feel this while driving on good roads....Pune-Mumbai, Pune-Aurangabad, Mumbai-Goa, Baroda-Bharuch etc.

You know, this is what I call as typical ATTITUDE of SUV buyers. Never settle till everyone accepts what you say. The sedan people who voted for sedan here won't comment for the simple reason they know what UV is & how it fares with sedan.
Whatever,SUV lovers wont give up just for the buying a stupid sedan(no offence meant[cheers]

this is what I call as typical ATTITUDE of SUV buyers. Never settle till everyone accepts what you say
Even you are trying to do the same thing by supporting a Sedan,that's the general tendency of humans to pull for their side.

Now some will stand up & say Rolls Royce is worst than Scorpio !! Reason, it carries just 2 people at back !!
This comparo is hilarious[lol]
Even you told "If you need to do comparo with scorpio, drive a Honda City & then let us know what you feel"
So give some thought before posting and compare it with that grade,but at the end An SUV is an SUV and a Sedan is a Sedan

Also, I don't think anyone who stays at such a place where there are no roads will be on this forum as there won't be internet at that place either . Btw, I don't go to villages on daily basis & if 5 people is the criterion, why not ask to buy tempo traveller ? It carries 17 people at the cost of Safari !!
I had already mentioned Indians loves SUV and think in a rational way.Many people go through villages while travelling daily,so i have observed a lot of them having SUVs.He he then they would have made their hard earned money to use it for a purpose and not just spending on too much of luxuries on a SEDAN

Put the car is 3ft water & it should come out. It is only vehicles like Range Rovers who can do this, seen a Scorpio stuck in recent rains in Pune at Bavdhan .
And a Sedan will be fully submerged in the water,whereas SUV will atleast do its best coming out.

Thread Starter #40
Safety Concerns

Those who think UVs are safer than sedans, please check the link below & decide for yourself which is better :-

ANCAP - Crash Testing for Safety

Btw, Mahindra crash results are only for pik-up & is just 2 stars !!
Ford is not good either, 3 stars for its SUVs.

Accord on other hand scores 5 star ratings.

I don't know why people say that SUV should/can carry more people. We have Vans for that..

Both sedans and SUVs are meant for only 4 adults. That is why we have an arm rest in the center of the the back seat.

Try sitting in the middle of the rear seat in a sedan for a long drive... it is uncomfortable even in a high end car, as the seats are designed for 2. Else, sit in the 3rd row of any SUV for a long journey and see for yourself the discomfort you feel when you travel over bad roads.

Put the car is 3ft water & it should come out. It is only vehicles like Range Rovers who can do this, seen a Scorpio stuck in recent rains in Pune at Bavdhan [lol].

no idea about scorpio but put safari in 3Ft water it will come out in 4L like there was nothing . i am telling because what i have seen infront my eye's . Safari is very capable off-roader so as scorpio except few electronic issue . please keep you expensive stuff at your side and yes AUDI is robbing people this what you want to hear [anger].

This straight lift off from Wikipedia defines an SUV pretty well.

A sport utility vehicle (SUV) is a generic marketing term for a vehicle similar to a station wagon, but built on a light-truck chassis.

It is usually equipped with four-wheel drive for on- or off-road ability, and with some pretension or ability to be used as an off-road vehicle.

Some SUVs include the towing capacity of a pickup truck with the passenger-carrying space of a minivan or large sedan.

From my side SUV means car capable of carrying people and have 4WD to go off-roading .

OK. So atleast it is considered that comfort levels are not there.
Of course not. I have already mentioned, I am more comfortable in an SUV than a sedan.

So, if someone says that the red ST buses are not good, you would say...hey, it is just that you are not used to it ??
I take back my words. [frustration]
Please explain how Scorpio qualifies as SUV.
Good GC & 4WD.

Don't put words in my mouth. I said that just once in a while in 365 days, if you require mass mover, what's its use ?? If you need to carry large no. of people on daily basis, why SUV, you can buy a Volvo B9R dual-axle 52 seater bus too, who is stopping it ??
are you serious? to carry 7 people, I would buy a Volvo B9R? whats wrong with you?

* PS:- When I need to carry more people, I don't buy UV in morning & sell in evening, I simply call cab service which provides me Scorpio/Innova for less than Rs.10-11/km !! Tavera is even cheaper !!
There are large no. of cabs in Pune offering Scorpio & Innovas.
So, if i need to carry 7 people like once in a month, every time i should hire a cab or buy a Volvo B9R but not buy a SUV. Nice logic. [clap]

Please take some effort for naive soul like me to understand UVs better .
1) more room for tall people like me
2) dont need to bend & sit in
3) no need to crawl over speed breakers
4) easy to drive in city because of good visibility
5) off roading capability

If there is LOTS of luggage, you can hire a Tata 407 or even 20 tonner truck.
For me, a luggage of 4 fits perfectly in a boot.
i said 5 or 6 people & their luggage. you conveniently made it 4!

Oh, this should be informed to Audi buyers ASAP.....Audi is robbing people's money.....avoid Q7s, buy Boleros.
I am sorry to disappoint you but Q7 owners already know they dont own an offroader & they wont take it to hardcore off roading anyways!

yes, for offroading, you are better off buying a land rover instead.

Lol, but I bet you won't feel this while driving on good roads....Pune-Mumbai, Pune-Aurangabad, Mumbai-Goa, Baroda-Bharuch etc.
Good roads in India? in cities?

This comparo is hilarious
Even you told "If you need to do comparo with scorpio, drive a Honda City & then let us know what you feel"
So give some thought before posting and compare it with that grade,but at the end An SUV is an SUV and a Sedan is a Sedan
[clap]

no idea about scorpio but put safari in 3Ft water it will come out in 4L like there was nothing . i am telling because what i have seen infront my eye's . Safari is very capable off-roader so as scorpio except few electronic issue . please keep you expensive stuff at your side and yes AUDI is robbing people this what you want to hear .
remember 26th july rains in mumbai? roads were flooded. i was on my way back home from Pune. I drove my scorpio through flooded roads. I could see water gushing all the way till bonnet. It was seeping inside the door too. I reached home safely in my 2WD scorpio. Sedans were stuck & submerged.

remember 26th july rains in mumbai? roads were flooded. i was on my way back home from Pune. I drove my scorpio through flooded roads. I could see water gushing all the way till bonnet. It was seeping inside the door too. I reached home safely in my 2WD scorpio. Sedans were stuck & submerged.
wonderful [clap] Salute scorpio now where is S Class

I think somebody should help me understanding Suv and Muv.Wikipedia quote by mastersquall is just too crude.

as per my understanding goes...

Innova is MUV,as well as bolero (but company states it as Suv)

Mahindra Thar is a definite SUV.

Safari,scorpio,aria,endeavour etc are MUV they dont click the Sport features anywhere which Manufacturers and owners are imposing.
These cars can neither be used for rough use nor for enthusiast purpose. they best fit for daily commutation on uneven tarmacs.
The bottom pic, what will you call it? when it come to scorpio it is just additional hood and seat does that justify it as a true SUV?

I believe SUV should have a precise suspensions,great handelling, tough built with safety concern.
"Sports" means fun with safety, not any passenger vehicle.
what we find on our roads are breed of everything in VFM package. no I cannot call them an SUV.

Mahindra Thar scores very well at least for extreme Off roading. it sure does tick almost everything to be sports utility truck.
Safari,Fortuner etc if taken for serious ride they will sure fall apart miserably.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom