Replacement For My Spark - The Search Ends: Bought Figo Ford Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Replacement for My Spark - The Search ends.. booked Figo Titanium (D) Kinetic Blue

note - ( please a sincere heartfelt request to you kindly don't again bring my proffesision and what I do in the forum since it has nothing to do with automobiles in general and stick only to what I post )
I respect it Raja, My two last sentences are to be taken as just a funny comment to make you laugh nothing more !! Still if I have hurted you with those words, I tender my sincere apology for that[:)]

Thread Starter #17
re: Replacement for My Spark - The Search ends.. booked Figo Titanium (D) Kinetic Blue

Took some more test drives. Understood why TATA cars don’t sell (I will elaborate on that later) and why Punto does not sell either.

On the journey for the next small car, went to the TATA website and submitted a request for TD. Exactly 10 secs, I get a call from RD Motors asking me if I would like to TD the Manza. That’s strange I thought, but clarified with him that its the Vista (VX) that I wanted. Also asked him, to send the valuer across so that they can give me the exchange price of my existing car.

The SA arrived dot on time riding a blue Vista demo car, followed by the white Punto. You see in Kolkata, Fiat and TATA are still together and hence the dealer thought it a great idea to send across both, so that who ever is interested can TD both the cars - and probably generate sufficient leads. But I knew quite well what is going to happen. No way you would be choosing the Vista once you had driven the Punto [:)]

Anyway, TDed the Vista first, asked my wife to drive (it would be her car after all) and took it through the back roads of my office to Rajarhat connector, went up to 100 - 110 km/hr, tested the brakes and general handling. Then I drove it back to office for the rest of the way.

Following are my wife's observations:
1) Better than the Beat (she was comparing with the last TD) so far as the ride, seating position and engine is considered. Visibility is excellent; turgo lag is minimal & pulls effortlessly. Gear shifting is also good.
2) There is seat height adjustment which helps.
3) Lots of space. The SA was sitting behind the driver seat with one leg crossed over the knee.
4) Boot space is average, but better than Spark or beat.
5) Brakes are good and do their job well.

My observation:
1) On first gear as you release the clutch and car starts to move, there is a roughness that you can feel. It disappears once you shift up and speed increases. The feeling is very similar to that if you drive on freshly pitched roads, with the gravel and pitch sticking to your tyres. Asked the SA about it and he said that it might be a problem with the demo car.
2) The ride is plushy, you don’t feel the minor bumps on the road and the steering feedback is good but not great. High speed stability is good and this car is miles ahead of the earlier Indica.
3) Plastic quality, fit and finish is good.
4) Music system sucks. Very bland sound, expect something better. Has USB but no BT.
5) Engine is good and very little noise gets in the cabin with the windows up.

Did not get any other cons worth mentioning and given the price and bells and whistle included (ABS& EBD) not a bad proposition. Current offer is 25K discount and 25K exchange bonus. Brings it down to very close to Beat LT (O) prices.

Next as we were walking back, saw the Punto and decided to give it a try. I had TDed the car earlier and hence asked my wife to drive and let me know what she felt. The Punto is still outside my budget so had not considered in my initial assessment. The model we TDed was the top end Emotion.

1) Cabin looks a little dated now, but has all the bells and whistles (auto ac, driver seat height adjust, tilt steering). Space is Ok but not as great as Vista.
2) Externally the car looks good (beauty is in the eye of the beholder but its a design classic for me)
3) The drive was excellent, handling & steering feedback was excellent and my wife liked it better than the Vista (no surprise here.. the price is better than the Vista too [:)]
4) Highway stability is very good and since we had TDed the Vista minutes back, could not stop comparing. And yes, the Vista feels like a boat to a person driving the Punto (no offense to Vista owners).

After TD, took the price list and enquired on the discounts. Seems they are giving insurance free and 7K as corporate discounts. However the SA said that there is a scheme that is coming this festive season (he did not have exact details) where you can take 50% discount on insurance and the rest free gifts like GPS or other accessories. Exchange bonus is very less which is Rs.7K (strange). Also mentioned that there might still be 2011 stock available (pretty strange) on which discount available is Rs. 60-70K (not interested).

Now we all know the dealer's profit margin on interest. If you do it outside (not from the dealer) you immediately get a reduction of 25% to 30% on the insurance amount. Also I have 25% no claim bonus in my current car which I will carry forward. So if FIAT is listening, if you really want to sell this beauty, giving insurance free is not enough.

Now as I earlier said, I have always had a liking for the Punto but did not consider it due to my budget. However the SA bringing the Punto along spoiled all chances the Vista had. Even when my wife and I discuss on the Vista, she some how mentions the Punto. It’s a pity to see Fiat selling so few numbers in spite of having such a wonderful machine (even if the design is dated by 6-7 years).

Fantastic review Chayan very detailed loved every part of it .
But why you say why tata cars and fiat cars don't sell ? Is some more story here to unfold ?

Took some more test drives. Understood why TATA cars don’t sell (I will elaborate on that later) and why Punto does not sell either.

On the journey for the next small car, went to the TATA website and submitted a request for TD. Exactly 10 secs, I get a call from RD Motors asking me if I would like to TD the Manza. That’s strange I thought, but clarified with him that its the Vista (VX) that I wanted. Also asked him, to send the valuer across so that they can give me the exchange price of my existing car.

The SA arrived dot on time riding a blue Vista demo car, followed by the white Punto. You see in Kolkata, Fiat and TATA are still together and hence the dealer thought it a great idea to send across both, so that who ever is interested can TD both the cars - and probably generate sufficient leads. But I knew quite well what is going to happen. No way you would be choosing the Vista once you had driven the Punto [:)]

Anyway, TDed the Vista first, asked my wife to drive (it would be her car after all) and took it through the back roads of my office to Rajarhat connector, went up to 100 - 110 km/hr, tested the brakes and general handling. Then I drove it back to office for the rest of the way.

1) Better than the Beat (she was comparing with the last TD) so far as the ride, seating position and engine is considered. Visibility is excellent; turgo lag is minimal & pulls effortlessly. Gear shifting is also good.
3) Lots of space. The SA was sitting behind the driver seat with one leg crossed over the knee.

My observation:
1) On first gear as you release the clutch and car starts to move, there is a roughness that you can feel. It disappears once you shift up and speed increases. The feeling is very similar to that if you drive on freshly pitched roads, with the gravel and pitch sticking to your tyres. Asked the SA about it and he said that it might be a problem with the demo car.
2) The ride is plushy, you don’t feel the minor bumps on the road and the steering feedback is good but not great. High speed stability is good and this car is miles ahead of the earlier Indica.
4) Music system sucks. Very bland sound, expect something better. Has USB but no BT.

Did not get any other cons worth mentioning and given the price and bells and whistle included (ABS& EBD) not a bad proposition. Current offer is 25K discount and 25K exchange bonus. Brings it down to very close to Beat LT (O) prices.

Next as we were walking back, saw the Punto and decided to give it a try. I had TDed the car earlier and hence asked my wife to drive and let me know what she felt. The Punto is still outside my budget so had not considered in my initial assessment. The model we TDed was the top end Emotion.

1) Cabin looks a little dated now, but has all the bells and whistles (auto ac, driver seat height adjust, tilt steering). Space is Ok but not as great as Vista.
2) Externally the car looks good (beauty is in the eye of the beholder but its a design classic for me)
3) The drive was excellent, handling & steering feedback was excellent and my wife liked it better than the Vista (no surprise here.. the price is better than the Vista too [:)]
4) Highway stability is very good and since we had TDed the Vista minutes back, could not stop comparing. And yes, the Vista feels like a boat to a person driving the Punto (no offense to Vista owners).

After TD, took the price list and enquired on the discounts. Seems they are giving insurance free and 7K as corporate discounts. However the SA said that there is a scheme that is coming this festive season (he did not have exact details) where you can take 50% discount on insurance and the rest free gifts like GPS or other accessories. Exchange bonus is very less which is Rs.7K (strange). Also mentioned that there might still be 2011 stock available (pretty strange) on which discount available is Rs. 60-70K (not interested).

Now we all know the dealer's profit margin on interest. If you do it outside (not from the dealer) you immediately get a reduction of 25% to 30% on the insurance amount. Also I have 25% no claim bonus in my current car which I will carry forward. So if FIAT is listening, if you really want to sell this beauty, giving insurance free is not enough.

Now as I earlier said, I have always had a liking for the Punto but did not consider it due to my budget. However the SA bringing the Punto along spoiled all chances the Vista had. Even when my wife and I discuss on the Vista, she some how mentions the Punto. It’s a pity to see Fiat selling so few numbers in spite of having such a wonderful machine (even if the design is dated by 6-7 years).
+100

Fantastic review my friend !![clap] just go for Punto man !! you will never regret

My observation:

@ Chayan, Nice review. Yes, Punto is a great car. You are bound to get attracted towards it after test drive. Remember the add where the person TDs Vista keeps smiling all the time even after the TD?? Well it should have been a Punto add instead IMO. It has a very frugal diesel engine. Comparatively lower overall price of other cars in its segment and very thin ASC network hampering the sale of this beauty. You should go for this car buddy.

@Chayan buddy, if your heart calls then go for punto, what gurrala said you won't regret ever.
But if you won't buy one you'll always regret, after looking at mine[lol].

Check out the discounts on 2011 models, see the car thoroughly before booking one, you can really get good discounts.

Last edited:

@Chayan buddy, if your heart calls then go for punto, what gurrala said you won't regret ever.

Check out the discounts on 2011 models, see the car thoroughly before booking one you can really get good discounts.
Oh !! Vivek, I am already regretting for not buying it last year[cry]

By the way, how much FE you are getting in your Punto in city ??

Are you also felt some long clutch issue in your Punto

Sorry to see you regretting buddy[cry],
its b/w 10-19, and 14-16 mostly and i am talking about city only[:)].

Long clutch never bothers me now. Its all about getting use-to.

Its the variation in mileage due to delhi's traffic buddy.
Some times she gave me near 19 and some time she settles down at 10~12 only.
Most of the time i get b/w 14-16

Oh ok, I was really wondering looking looking at that range[surprise]

Then that is the fair FE in city driving !!

Check out the discounts on 2011 models, see the car thoroughly before booking one, you can really get good discounts.
Great suggestion. But when you go for previous year version pls be careful. I had got 2010 spark in 2011 [ i think it was nearly a year old at that time] I have not properly checked and got some out side plastics like door handles faded [not visible easily though] and I think [May not be even true] FE is low cos of this. Totally my mistake. I was very excited.

So pls be careful.

@Chayan:

Excellent test drive review man. I felt like TD both Vista & Punto[:D]

BTW, As a Vista VX owner. I think I can clarify some doubts.

Vista VX comes Bluetooth. I'm always using Bluebooth when I'm using my Vista.

For Musicsystem, I feel some decent effect on music. but that is not upto my taste. So I planned to go for JBL speakers.

regarding Engine noise, I felt Engine noise is very low inside the cabin when windows are up.

For more Doubts on Vista, you can check my Vista review:

Brand New Sedan Class Hatchback (Vista QJD VX) Reached Home

At the sametime, I not drove any Punto till date, But from Punto Owners I came to know that Punto is a best car in all aspects.

option is yours.

Last edited:

Vista VX comes Bluetooth. I'm always using Bluebooth when I'm using my Vista.
Appu, pls let me know what is this and how it is useful for you. I have this doubt for long time. Pls explain.

If your Tata service centre is alright ,I will recomend you to go ahead with Vista.

Comparing vista to punto, I bet
Vista will prove cheaper to maintain in long run.
Punto has some ergonomic issues where as vista is well designed and spacious
Vista is more comfortable and suited to Indian roads
Vista will get better service networks and support,I have noticed when mechanics open the bonnet they get horrified to see level of high tech in Punto.
Vista is more FE
With level of standard equiped features vista is vfm .

Punto should be considered when,
your motive is too keep the car for next 20 years
Not a regular driver but occasional cruizer.
You just cant live without owning it and situations are favorable.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom