Really Confused : Which one to buy? Help Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
My Budget 6 Lakh +-30k
What a want
1. A diesel one
2. Would be driving 15k a year
3. need for around 5 years

What i like -
Fiat Punto MJD EP
Swift VDi ABS

Dilemma ?

I made up my mind for Punto but not sure about the resale value after 5 years. People starting questions about the maintaining costs. Moreover read a lot of reviews here and there and the biggest run and person has made with a punto is 65K and that service cost him 9800. Which is quite large. Earlier two cost him ~5 and ~5.

While the maintenance cost of swift is not that expensive. I have heard people having 2k services.

So
Punto - Resale value a question.
Punto - Maintenance cost after 3+ years ?
Swift - Good resale value. Conditions i drive in would do good as i think.
Swift - Low maintenance.
Swift - Bad handling with respect to Punto
Punto - Good looks.

Where to go? Please help me.

AMG

Suspended
Please dont buy the swift.

A new one can come out any moment.

It has already been launched in the UK and other countries.

You have shortlisted two of the best diesel hatches available. Swift D has proved itself in the market and needs no introduction. And let me clarify, it has absolutely great handling.
It fits well for your requirements, however i would suggest you to have a look at other diesel options too, since the new Swift is just round the corner and you wont like to buy to buy a car which will soon be revised.

IMO have a look at Ford Figo. It comes with excellent handling and is the best diesel hatch available at the price.

Thread Starter #4
I need to buy the car in a week, thats why, and swift waiting period does not matter ( i can arrange that :D)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #6
I don't like figo. It's not that it is a bad car. I just don't like this car.
Moreover, I want to buy Punto but i am not compelling myself aggressively because i want to give it a thought. What if Punto has some problem the nearest service station is 60 kms away. Going there, dropping the car for 2-3 days than again going back to pick up is a real pain. Although it is not likely but still.
Maruti's service station is 3 kms away.

Now if i want to buy Swift i will have to pay a hefty black( Mods please remove this line if it is not OK ) and god knows from where would they drive the car to my town. It is a risky situation. But maruti is realiable. Oh god i am stuck in a very difficult situation here. Please help guys in making up my mind.

well its like heart vs brain war . i too had same thing while buying tata safari 4years ago but in the end heart won . Also i heard that build quality better in punto compare to swift .

Just one thing whatever you buy just don't regret later

Thread Starter #8
well its like heart vs brain war . i too had same thing while buying tata safari 4years ago but in the end heart won . Also i heard that build quality better in punto compare to swift .

Just one thing whatever you buy just don't regret later
That is the main thing bro, i don't want to regret later. Visiting the service center every weekend with 120 Km's won't be easy for me and that also when i have spent 7 lakh.
Also i have heard that FIAT has removed a lot of known issues in the newer models. Is that true ? The AC problems and those seat noises ?

The AC problem have been rectified. As a matter of fact Fiat replaced the AC units of the Puntos which had such issues.

If the selection has to be done between Punto and Swift, Punto is a VFM package and gives the best for your buck.

+1 to above.

Please go in for Swift diesel if you are looking to selling your car in anytime less than 7 years.

You will have trouble free Maruti Service and a decent depreciation so that, re-sale will not bring you heart attack!

Accepted, Punto is a very good car, but like you said, it needs to prove itself in the maintenance cost and also, FIAT has never enjoyed benefits of good re-sale value.

dude, if the resale is a variable, then i dont think you would consider punto in comparison to swift....Though great car, fiat really doesnt have that resale value as maruti enjoys!
if you are planning for a long term ownership, then i would weigh more towards fiat for their excellent build quality.

Go for swift!

Thread Starter #13
dude, if the resale is a variable, then i dont think you would consider punto in comparison to swift....Though great car, fiat really doesnt have that resale value as maruti enjoys!
if you are planning for a long term ownership, then i would weigh more towards fiat for their excellent build quality.

Go for swift!
Like for how much time ?
If the maintenance costs are low then i can keep the car for much more time than that..

That is the main thing bro, i don't want to regret later. Visiting the service center every weekend with 120 Km's won't be easy for me and that also when i have spent 7 lakh.
Also i have heard that FIAT has removed a lot of known issues in the newer models. Is that true ? The AC problems and those seat noises ?
My friend,

Try doing a comparo on the spares price-list of the two cars. You'll realize that the Swift Diesel is not that frugal a car when it comes to maintenance costs. Even if the Punto is 10% pricier to maintain, it does offer a huge advantage over the Swift.

Safety wise, the Punto is better.
Ride & Handling - try driving both these cars over 80kmph on a set of regular roads and you'll know the difference.
Interior Space - the Punto is better
Build Quality: open and shut the doors to find out...

The Swift is a brilliant car, but it has its drawbacks and in the face of the competition like the Punto/Figo, it really is a loyal fan who would still stick around with the smaller, cramped up Suzuki.

Me, i'd choose the Punto over the Swift any day. But since it ain't my money on the line, chose what suits you best and then just go on and enjoy the drive. Don't look back once you're committed to something ;)

Hope this helps :)

Thread Starter #15
Fiat dealer called me up today and told me as the prices have been hiked by Fiat and Tata, we still have some pieces left which we will offer you at the earlier rate. You need to hurry. I am having this intuition that he might try to sell me the TD Vehicle( just an intution, not sure about this. But i am worried). I told him that i will only accept the 2011 Batch vehicle. He said that the vehicles he is having are all 2011 batch ones which i can find out after looking at the VIN.
But is there any way to find out that the vehicle is a TD vehicle or a normal one ? Apart from mileage beacause they can tweak it by removing the mileage wire and then refixing it to sell out the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom