My Turbocharged Baleno (2008 Build)

Thread Starter #1
My Baleno turbo build done in 2008- A short writeup
(Wanted it post it here for a while now. Finally posting it now!)

I wanted to build a reliable, fuel efficient turbo car - thought a low boost setup would be better to get desirable result. Picked up a relatively small TOYOTA VITZ - TRD ball bearing turbo + exhaust manifold and a few other things like BOV, pressure regulator, TRUST intercooler etc. Also upgraded my RD ECU to RD 901. Special thanks to my good friend Karthik for providing me with software updates & tweaks.

Took a break from work for 2 weeks and decided to do the build myself.
1. Started with machining an adapter plate to mate suzuki head to the TRD turbo manifold.
2. Three inch turbo dump pipe (thick MS) + 2.5 inch exhaust.
3. 2.5 inch intake plumbing
4. Bumped up the fuel pressure a little bit

Engine is completely stock (nothing done to the head nor the block).
Turbo is internally waste gated for 8psi. Stock clutch was getting overwhelmed and so upgraded to a SuzukiRD clutch.

Its fun car to drive with quick spool & ample torque though it runs out of steam in the higher revs. Definitely not a drag setup or for that matter a super quick street set up. But provides me with good gas mileage and has been reliable for well over 4 year now.

Attaching a few pics of the car (from Quarter mile magazine review 2011)

Attachments

I am not a guy to understand even half of what you have done. But I always loved to do DIY and that's the reason I love to read your posts. [:D]
I performed lotz of DIY on my old Bike Bajaj Caliber. But now I dont have that much courage to do on car Or I dont know that much to perform anything on my car.

BTW. Your baleno's alloys are really good. The color of alloys is original color? The reason I am asking is, when we apply the anti rust to the metal parts of the bike, it gives the same effect as your alloys.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks codename47 & dharmesh.

Like you I started with modding motorcycles. I had (1990-1998) 2 RD350s (one mildly modified) and 2 RX's - one running a 115cc piston, revised porting and expansion chamber, 5 speed (DIY) and the other running a japanese ART 125cc piston, revised porting, larger carburetor, modified reed cage & petals and expansion chamber, 5 speed (Jap 125 kit)... and a lot more mods. Sold my RDs before leaving for the US.

Yes, thats the original color of alloys (Titan racing). Its a nice bronz-ish color.

Looking at your car , Reminds me that I have to buy Turbo timer again.
I had a HKS turbo timer that was connected to o2 sensor of the car for automatic shut down time required.

The one you have (APEXI) pencil types are so common, some are fake too sO I'd rather get some JDM one.

FET makes turbo timers as well apart from HKS,blitz , Greddy and apexi

Thread Starter #6
Yes, there are many fake one floating around. I had to search quite a bit to get the real one. I wanted this one since the display unit is tiny enough to be put in cramped spaces. Also it adds up as a Narrow band AFR gauge. Will buy a wide band setup sometime when I have enough cash at hand. lol.

btw, what happened to your old turbo timer ?

thats hks one was in my red skyline and that car I sold as is , didn't take out any piece of equipment :)

I will buy one soon. my car is nearly ready . The mechanic told me yesterday that pulse is not coming to injectors and spark plugs, rest everything is put back together

Have I read a turbo-petrol?
Wow,congrats for the beast buddy.So now what are the power and torque figures of the Baleno and at what rev range?

Thread Starter #9
Yes bro, its a turbocharged G16 Baleno.

Its a quick spool turbo setup. Turbo spools right from around 1700 rpm and pulls strong in 2.5K - 5K rpm. I have not dyno'ed my cars as yet. I guess it should be putting out about 35-40% more than stock.

Is your ride a VW TSI ??

Nice job joeking. Our mate codename too has done great mod to his ride in Australia. I am glad that you're in Bangalore. I can have the opportunity to witness the power of your ride.

Thread Starter #12
Thnx nozzlering. Codenames car is a real sports car with bucket loads of performance. Wish we had cars like that over here ...

Hi joeking, nice DIY, I loved to read both of your threads about the turbo for 800 and Baleno.

I wish to meet you & see your cars. I guess this would not be your daily ride..

Also a funny question ! I dont know much about these turbo's.
As you told the turbo kicks in at 1700 rpm, can this be variable, can it be changed (if we need at 2.5k rpm).

thanks nozzlering and Joeking , appreciate it.
I know you guy are true performance car enthusiast but to be honest with you guys , these cars in australia aren't ideal in the real world.

I am amazed to see what you can do without many aftermarket parts available for your cars. Good job again

Thread Starter #15
Thanks Varun,

My Maruti 800 turbo and Baleno turbo are daily drive cars but I generally prefer to take my Baleno out for longer drives out of the city. The M 800 turbo I drive right now is not the one covered in the post here. The post here is a maruti 800 (carburetor) turbo, my present ride is a MPFi 800 turbo (new setup). The present one is also running a slightly larger Turbo as compared to the carb turbo setup.

You can control spool characteristics to some extent in variable geometry type turbo (seldom used in petrol cars ... except some Porsches etc). The best bet is to size/select the right turbo to suite your performance needs that considers factors like - lag, spool range, max boost etc. Theres one other trick that tuners usually use to spool larger turbos better by using the anti-lag features built into some after market ECUs. You could retard your ignition timing (to an extent) in the area where you need a quicker spool up - this would result in higher EGTs thus making the turbo spool slightly better.

Yeah, we should meet up sometime. I live near kammanahalli on Hennur main road.

Top Bottom