My Memories Of Australia & Maffra Motor Museum

Thread Starter #1

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Clip.jpg

I just returned from Australia; hence my memories are fresh. We stayed with our daughter for a few weeks. She lives in a place of Tranquility called LEOPOLD, Geelong City, Victoria State.

The spreading suburb of Leopold lies on both sides of the Bellarine Highway, enjoys proximity to the dramatic beaches and bays around Queenscliff, Point Lonsdale and Ocean Grove. The town was called Kensington before it was renamed Leopold in 1892. In 1885, Kensington was described as a good fruit-growing area with a population of 100 people living within a mile of the post office, and still has low density population.

We drove a lot; she gave us Memories for a Lifetime.

Australia is the world’s smallest continent, boasts glorious oceans, unique wildlife, fascinating landscapes, rich history & a land of many different automobiles. Australia has three times more sheep & two times more kangaroos than the people.[lol]

What About Their Cars:
*The number of cars owned by them equals their youth population.
*Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Mazda CX-series are seen significantly.
*Noted surprisingly a few HONDA JAZZ, 3rd Gen facelifted HONDA CITY, Suzuki SWIFT and IGNIS on the roads.
*Cars with Caravan, and Boat Trailers are a common sight. I could see OFF ROADERS like Toyota Land Cruiser equipped with elephant trunk like long tube (Turbo Back Exhaust Cat / Side Pipe) connected to the engine air inlet extending up to the roof to avoid vehicle’s engine ingests water into the inlet, while on wet, muddy bits roads.
Clip.jpg

*Australians buy more Mazdas than any country outside Japan.
*Australia has more F1 engine manufacturers championships per capita than Germany.
*Second-hand car market to be around three million units per annum.
*The most stolen cars in Australia are the Holden (Australian Brand) Commodore, Nissan Pulsar, Ford Falcon and the Toyota Hilux.
*Apparently, it’s legal to drive barefoot in Australia, because high heels or thongs can slip off the pedals and cause an accident.
*Kangaroos may delay the introduction of autonomous vehicles in Australia. Their unpredictable behavior and unique way of their moving is making difficult to program autonomous drive systems for Australia.
KG.gif

What About Our Trip:
We selected the autumn season as the summer and winter would be extreme. Leopold itself a beautiful cool town … peaceful, with beautiful lawns & landscapes, walking and bicycling paths. Their walking with different kind of pet dogs interesting.
We got the opportunity to pet and feed cute animals like the Koala bears and Kangaroos, wombats at Melbourne zoo. Excited at the sight of little penguins at Philip Island. Enjoyed the panoramic views and the driving route that winds along the coast, passing through the Great Otway National Park at Apollo bay, an Australian fishing town in southwestern Victoria.
Entered into the wonderful world of Melbourne museum, encountered the dinosaurs, learnt the story of Aboriginal Australians and relaxed at Victoria Market China Bazar.
Could walk through the seaside town of Port Arlington, visit Daylesford’s Nuns Bell tower& infirmary and viewed the historic slate roof of chapel.
Visited chocolate factory, had Lots and lots of Chocolates and desserts, of course had shopping & thrill.
Australia was fun, different and adventurous.[drive]
ezgif-2-871e803cb9.gif

Road at Apollo bay, Right & left sides ...
ezgif-2-dbf7c122d6.gif

ABOUT MAFFRA MOTOR MUSEUM:
While on our long drive to visit and stay with our relatives at the beautiful dairy & animal husbandry town – Gippsland , I had a wonderful opportunity to see the Gippsland's Premier Motor Museum in Maffra.
Maffra is a pretty country town based in the past on the Dairy Industry - probably still is but there is much more to the town now, like the motor museum. This museum is totally created and maintained by a dedicated group of volunteer enthusiasts.
Gippsland's Premier Motor Museum - with changing of display theme every 4 months, around 60 stellar vehicles and 50 Motorcycles on display. The display of vehicles is impressive and it's a bit like walking into a movie set however everything is genuine! The layout makes for an involved experience.
A fantastic collection of old cars, memorabilia and models. I am thrilled to see paint less car, the Brumby with horizontally opposed BOXER engine, Royal Enfield bikes, beautiful 1927 six cylinder OLDSOMILE, the Purvis eureka car on beetle platform, the time line of Australian car industry and much more…
Well worth visiting. Hope, you will enjoy the Snap Shots here:
1.jpg

CARS:

Clip_3.3.jpg

Clip_4.jpg

No Paint on car!
Clip_5.jpg

Clip_6.jpg

Clip_8.jpg

Clip_9.1.jpg

Clip_9.jpg

Clip_10.jpg

Clip_13.jpg

Clip_14.jpg

Clip_22.jpg

Clip_24.jpg

Clip_25.jpg

Clip_26.jpg

Clip_28.jpg

Clip_32.jpg

Clip_33.jpg

Clip_34.jpg

Clip_35.jpg

Clip_69.jpg

Clip_72.jpg

Clip_73.jpg

Clip_42.jpg

BIKES:

Clip_23.jpg

Clip_16.jpg

Clip_18.jpg

Clip_17.jpg

Clip_19.jpg

Clip_63.1.jpg

Clip_63.jpg

Clip_64.jpg

Clip_75.jpg

Clip_67.jpg

CAR ENGINES:

Clip_41.jpg

Clip_30.jpg

Clip_37.jpg

Clip_38.jpg

Clip_39.jpg

Clip_40.jpg

MINIATURES & ACCESSORIES:

Clip_47.jpg

Clip_44.jpg

Clip_43.jpg

Clip_45.jpg

Clip_46.jpg

Clip_31.jpg

COMMEMORATIVE STAMPS & MORE

Clip_29.jpg

Clip_27.jpg

NOT OVER !
LET ME CONCLUDE WITH THE INTERESTING TIMELINE OF AUSTRALIAN MOTORING HISTORY ... [:D]

Last edited:

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Very nice pictures sir. Thank you.
Feels good to see RE amongst the bike lot.
Were the miniatures for sale to visitors?

Last edited:
Just adding to the points, as am also in Sydney. One brand I wish that comes to India is Mazda. Their fleet is terrific, you have budget entry cars to superb sporty ones. (2.5L in Hatchback....Insane)

Also Holden is General motors division itself, they sold here Holden Barina (The last gen resembled Beat), Holden Cruze, Holden Commodore (Known to be a superb performer). But like all General motor ones, it has lot of electronic niggles.
Snorkels are common in most of the Utility vehicles, as there are many parts of the suburbs, where roads are quite close to lakes and creeks.
Hope you had a great experience of Australian culture and more importantly Australian Roads.
Luxury and sporty rides are a common sight, but what always amazes is you can see Vintage rides, maintained in pristine conditions, thanks to the government approving all vehicles, only condition being it should be road worthy, and shouldn't make a breakdown/ accident. Kudos to all such owners.

Thread Starter #5

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Very nice pictures sir. Thank you.
Feels good to see RE amongst the bike lot.
Were the miniatures for sale to visitors?
Thanks for the appreciation. [:D]
Yes, I was also happy to see there the Royal Enfield Bike. I am told that they sell the miniature models. But, the price tags were not there and no sales at the time of my visit.

Just adding to the points,
Yes, I also wish MAZDA should come to India.
I was searching the right word, got from you ' Snorkels' [cheers]
True, it was a pleasant experience with those casual, free minded people and, well-maintained, well regulated , beautiful roads...
Yes, I was surprised to see those old & classic cars and how well road worthy. My daughter has 14 years old Mk4 Ford Mondeo, wow what a strong build quality & an impressive all-rounder and a family car!
Thanks for complementing with more information.

Last edited:

Top Bottom