My Maruti 800 Type - 1

Thread Starter #16
I had planned to do a remote fuel and hatch release DIY. Procured the parts and went ahead with the diy sometime back in the month of Nov(thanks to BSNL i couldn't get active with this forum).
Parts acquired
  • Alto fuel lid opening assembly Rs.43.
  • Alto fuel lid opening cable Rs.104.
  • fuel lid spring Rs.135.
  • fuel lid Rs.25.
  • Hatch opening cable alto Rs.130.
  • Alto lever Rs.50.
In a josh[drive] me and my bro set out to root the cables, the first shock came as i was least expecting it to be the cable for the hatch release was too small, i left the thought of opening my hatch remotely there itself. In of thinking everything(at least the rest) would turn out what we had expected it to be, cut of the locking mechanism from the body and got the door hole welded in a local mechanic shop covered it with carbon fiber look alike vinyl sticker. installed the lever hooked it up with cables and it worked quite okeyish(lever was hard, had to pull it through purely muscle power) for time being thought it was new then. the disaster struck me when we were in petrol tank to fill up the fuel lid refused to open(think this at 5 in the morning) had to remove the tail lamp and pull the cable [frustration]. got nice scoldings from family for ruining the car. Later i got to know that i had to purchase esteems hatch release and the fuel lid cable was bent in odd places cause of using brute force and eventually fail. attached are the pics of procured parts.
Planning for a big restoration to my car till date wait for it[;)]

Attachments

Hi,
Its nice to see some guys still in love with the Old Horses.
There were some wires and AC tubes seen in the above picture. Make it to hide somewhere inside the Dashboard.
The interiors will look good.

I had planned to do a remote fuel and hatch release DIY. Procured the parts and went ahead with the diy sometime back in the month of Nov(thanks to BSNL i couldn't get active with this forum).
Parts acquired
  • Alto fuel lid opening assembly Rs.43.
  • Alto fuel lid opening cable Rs.104.
  • fuel lid spring Rs.135.
  • fuel lid Rs.25.
  • Hatch opening cable alto Rs.130.
  • Alto lever Rs.50.
In a josh[drive] me and my bro set out to root the cables, the first shock came as i was least expecting it to be the cable for the hatch release was too small, i left the thought of opening my hatch remotely there itself. In of thinking everything(at least the rest) would turn out what we had expected it to be, cut of the locking mechanism from the body and got the door hole welded in a local mechanic shop covered it with carbon fiber look alike vinyl sticker. installed the lever hooked it up with cables and it worked quite okeyish(lever was hard, had to pull it through purely muscle power) for time being thought it was new then. the disaster struck me when we were in petrol tank to fill up the fuel lid refused to open(think this at 5 in the morning) had to remove the tail lamp and pull the cable [frustration]. got nice scoldings from family for ruining the car. Later i got to know that i had to purchase esteems hatch release and the fuel lid cable was bent in odd places cause of using brute force and eventually fail. attached are the pics of procured parts.
Planning for a big restoration to my car till date wait for it

Nice to hear about your DIY, i am surprised regarding the length of Alto cable, IIRC both Alto cables have sufficient length to travel across the floor into their respective slots. It might be due to routing that they fell short. Also excessive bends & sharp twists will make the lever to malfunction. Guess you already corrected that.
How about some pics of the work.

BTW i am even surprised to see the price of that fuel lid clip, Rs. 134 [surprise] Damn.. thats expensive & i mean for an imported part too.

Thread Starter #23
BIG UPDATE Left our car for a complete painting [:)].

Purchased some parts for the restore.
Braks boosters MGP 3.4K
Dashboard with all trims except A/C button(when asked he gave a quote of 1.1k for that switch in essar is it true?), Radiator Grill, Rear number plate lights, Monograms in rear MGP approx 3.3K
Wiper blades Bosch Rs. 200

Will update the parts purchased three four months back with details very soon.

Need Suggestions for the following:-
  • How much does window glasses cost for all 4 doors? availabality?
  • How much does U bumper costs?(metal tube like thing in front of bumper).
  • Which Fogs to fit preferably HELLA rectangle shaped any idea on costing?
  • Is it advisable to change silencer? Mine makes a sound of an appe sometimes.
  • Car gives chokes and misfires at starting say about first 200 mtrs then everything becomes normal. Why so?
Have changed alternator in the recent past lucas make. but the car refused to start the day i left it for restoring, Somehow charged it with home made charger [;)]. Battery works people here charge a bomb about 250 per charge!. Checked with multi meter at idle the alty measured in at 13.2-13.4V with revs at say 2000 rpm it shot upto 14.6V. Should i consider the battery is dead? as it has taken lot of beating cos of faulty alternator that i had.
Hope i will be active in coming days [:)]
Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,

Thread Starter #24
Sorry for not being active in the forum for these days [frustration].
Finally got my car back painted 2 months back. posting some of the pics of car under process.
There was not as much rust as i expected, but the cross member(hope i am naming it correct!) was rusted and cut(pic at reference) replaced it with MGP there was a hole because of water resting under co drivers foot, had to weld it.
Engine bay was painted with heat resistant coat of paint.
Got rid of my DIY fuel lid opener thank god no more scoldings from family.
Replaced the silencer mufler and endcan mgp.
Added a brake booster MGP.
Changed the complete wiring.
Added Philips 90/100 rally H4, Awesome experience at hill station roads (Western Ghat, Jog) with Un-imaginable rain, Hence the idea of having fogs has now stopped.
Painted the rims black till we get the alloys.
We had bought almost all the parts for the restoration earlier itself to cut down the burden at the end.
But we lost the central lock system connector in the junkyard of the mechanic, How irresponsible, and the car now has no fire wall insulation. Need to buy one do i need to remove the Dashboard to install Firewall matt?
Was sceptical about the mileage, thinking about the removal of the engine from car would change the behaviour of the engine. Silly me turned out a descent mileage of 18.2Kmpl (TF-TF method).
will upload all the after paint pictures in coming days. Hoping to be active in coming days fingers crossed.
Thank you.

Attachments

Hi All, New to 4 wheel world.

Hence just got my uncle's old Type 1 M800. Refurbish in progress on basic stuff. Was more concerned on safety. Hence got a booster done. However, only some time hours back learnt about ABS. Can this be implemented in M800 Type 1 ?

Adding all my queries at once:

A. Can ABS be implemented in type 1 M800 ? If yes, cost and all further details please.
B. What is Turbo Charging on a Car ? Can it be implemented on M800 ?
C. How to eliminate vibration at speeds 80+ ? Apart from changing to new tyres and ball bearings change ?
D. Best way to check mileage of the car ?
E. What is the best speed range for Gear changing in M800 ?
F. Can gear box be upgraded to 5 point gear box for M800 Type 1 ?
G. Cost for implementing Central Locking, Power windows ? Not a great fan of power drive for M800.

Do let me know if any particular mechanics /shops for all these in Bangalore.

Thanks in advance !!!

Last edited:

Top Bottom