My First Diesel - FIAT Punto 1.3 Emotion - Initial Ownership Review

I am facing one strange problem related to ICE (which is factory fitted). Sometimes ICE shutdown (display becomes blank) and again start automatically. Also in FM mode sometimes start autosearching and shutdown and again start automatically. After some observations i realized this problem occurred in mornings where temperature gauge is more towards 'C'. But still i am not convinced the relation ICE and low temperature.

Did punto/Linea owner observe this problem?
Try resetting the HU once. I don't think this could be linked to temperature, but if resetting is not solving the issue, better show to service center.

Thread Starter #33
1800 KM in 25 days

Driven 800 KM in last 3 days. 350 KM to NH4 (Pune - Satara and back) and 450 KM to Pune - Diveagar and Harihareshwar (Konkan). Drive was comfortable on bad roads (Pune - Diveagar via Mulashi). Nice suspension setup but scrapped (underbody) 6 times (car was fully loaded with 5 adults and 2 childs).
Driven sedately with max speed 110 KMPH. Very difficult to maintain speed below 120 KMPH. You never feel uncomfortable/risky at high speed. In hilly section, car was not moving fast (as compared to old swift) and felt heavier but need not to worry. Happy with overall performance till date (except mileage).

Milage (80% Higways and 20% city w/o AC) - 18.3 (Tankful to tankful method)

Manual mentioned first service interval 3000 KM for diesel but 5000 KM on service coupon. What's actually 3000KM or 5000KM?

1800 KM in 25 days

Happy with overall performance till date (except mileage).

Milage (80% Higways and 20% city w/o AC) - 18.3 (Tankful to tankful method)

Manual mentioned first service interval 3000 KM for diesel but 5000 KM on service coupon. What's actually 3000KM or 5000KM?
Congratulations! Good that you got a chance to drive the car in initial days, you get to test it on all sorts of roads in earlier days of ownership, is always better to find any issues if they are there.

18.3 kmpl from a new car is not bad at all, considering 5 adults and 2 kids on board , and don't consider the Pune- Diveagar road as highway. I know the road condition.

So be happy with the FE you have got![thumbsup] Take care and drive safe! Wish you happy miles!

Looks your manual is old one, where 3000KM was scheduled for 1st servicing, but new cars have 1st servicing scheduled at 5000KM.
In any case, 1st servicing is just some check-ups, but since its is scheduled at 5K, it is advisable to get the engine oil replaced.

Thread Starter #36
Thanks drivetech4 and RSM

Some observations -

1) To turn ON foglamp, you need to turn ON headlight first. No single foglamp would
blow.
2) While moving through potholes, rear parcel tray starts jumping. No problem if you
put some weight on that.
3) Front seat adjustment lever is very hard.
4) AC knob indication stickers are not up to the mark.
5) Family happy with rear and boot space.
6) Both front wipers have different size.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/members/rsm.html

Thanks drivetech4 and RSM

Some observations -

1) To turn ON foglamp, you need to turn ON headlight first. No single foglamp would
blow.

It happens in all cars I guess.

2) While moving through potholes, rear parcel tray starts jumping. No problem if you
put some weight on that.

Housing is lose. I am sure you will find a way to fix it by either putting something on it or by putting something on the joints (eg: rolled paper or something)

Do not much about it but people generally complained about it being very flimsy.

Help us understand the statement.

280 ltrs is good enough from any angle for a hatch.

Common thing in most cars.
Tried to answer few.

Great mileage in initial few days. You are taking the most out of the beauty [:)]

18.3 is a great average to start with and that too with full load.

Regarding your queries:-

blow.
That's how fog lamps work. You need to put parking lights on with fog lamps.
put some weight on that.
Something seems loose. Get it checked with A.S.C
If it is working, I would say do not worry. If not, get it checked again.
Under par material on the dash :(
Normal scenario in new cars. This gives better visibility to driver.

800 KM Update

The running on odometer shows 800 KM (70% on highways and 30% in city). Some observations

1) On first drive, not happy due to long clutch but now it is used to.
2) Frequent gear shifting not needed. On 3rd gear you can easily drive at speed 20.
3) Torque on 3rd gear not like Swift DDIS.
4) Gear shifting is not bad at all.
5) Breaking is excellent (Tested on highways)
6) At speed 100, you never feel car at 100 (act like 70/80). Amazing high speed stability
7) Long turning radius little bit painful in city.
8) Bottom of car scrapped 2 times in 10 days. 171mm GC what is this?
9) Car covers all road potholes smoothly. Nice suspension setup.
10) Steering is hard but now it is used to.
11) AC is effective even knob on 1st position.
12) ICE/Music system is not bad at all (Complaint from many users).
13) Dual glove box looks handy but no storage space on dash board.
14) Difficult to use multifunction display. Hopefully I’ll discover all features very soon.
15) If car is stopped without key OFF then why need to again OFF and ON to start engine? Why
Not ignite at ON position?
16) Mileage shows on odometer – City – 15 (90% AC)
Highways – 18 (80 % AC)
Need to check tankful to tankful method.

Congrats for an excellent buy, mate. The Punto is a great car. The only criticism most guys level against the Punto is that it is 'underpowered' in both 75 and 90 hp (diesel) guises. This perception is based on Autocar India's 0-100 kmph figures that they publish in their New Buyers' Guide every month. They quote a real slow 0-100 kmph acceleration time - 17.84 sec for the 75 hp, 1.3 multijet Punto.[surprise]

However, the actual times are likely to be much faster. Cars of the World quotes a 0-100 kmph time for the Punto 75 hp as 13.6 and 90 hp as 13.20 sec, Topgear India quotes 12.5 sec for the 75 hp Punto diesel.

Autocar India lists the top speed of the Punto diesel as 153 kmph! The real figure is likely to be 170 kmph, however. Topgear India mentions 175 kmph. Topgear India's Buyers' Guide otherwise is nothing great either.

Seems like either the Autocar India chaps have either not tested the Punto properly or they have done so deliberately to dent the Punto's reputation. This doubtless would lead to apprehensions in the mind of a prospective buyer.

How can it be that the Punto 1.4, 90 hp petrol has a top speed of 144 kmph while the heavier Linea 1.4, 90 hp petrol with the same engine registers 182 kmph? [confused](All figures are from the Autocar India's Oct 2011 issue)>

Navtej, these kinds of figure all either outdated or wrong quoted (intentionally or typos) so nothing can help it. i just wonder why manufacture doesnt notice it and manage to correct it lest misleading figures.

What punto is in real life is a gem of car.

My Punto 90hp can do 0-100kmph in less than 14 sec anytime of the day.and has gone upto 150kmph in 4th gear.

since then i have realized how much we can trust these auto magazines and medias.
it is pointless even to talk about them .

Thread Starter #42
Tried to answer few.
Great mileage in initial few days. You are taking the most out of the beauty [:)]

18.3 is a great average to start with and that too with full load.

Regarding your queries:-
Thanks for prompt response
IMO, For Swift and Figo no need to switched ON parking light to turn ON Foglamp

Congrats for an excellent buy, mate. The Punto is a great car. The only criticism most guys level against the Punto is that it is 'underpowered' in both 75 and 90 hp (diesel) guises. This perception is based on Autocar India's 0-100 kmph figures that they publish in their New Buyers' Guide every month. They quote a real slow 0-100 kmph acceleration time - 17.84 sec for the 75 hp, 1.3 multijet Punto.[surprise]

However, the actual times are likely to be much faster. Cars of the World quotes a 0-100 kmph time for the Punto 75 hp as 13.6 and 90 hp as 13.20 sec, Topgear India quotes 12.5 sec for the 75 hp Punto diesel.

Autocar India lists the top speed of the Punto diesel as 153 kmph! The real figure is likely to be 170 kmph, however. Topgear India mentions 175 kmph. Topgear India's Buyers' Guide otherwise is nothing great either.

Seems like either the Autocar India chaps have either not tested the Punto properly or they have done so deliberately to dent the Punto's reputation. This doubtless would lead to apprehensions in the mind of a prospective buyer.

How can it be that the Punto 1.4, 90 hp petrol has a top speed of 144 kmph while the heavier Linea 1.4, 90 hp petrol with the same engine registers 182 kmph? [confused](All figures are from the Autocar India's Oct 2011 issue)>
Thanks Navtej
I am not expert to calculate 0-100kmph speed but as per my perception Punto feel slow due to its weight.

Thread Starter #43
2600 KM in 40 days

Bad thing was AC was not working due to gas leakage and worst part was first to take appointment even for such problem Why TASS? :mad:. Took appointment at Pandit Auto, Akurdi. They repaired AC and bill amount was zero rs. No other issue till date.

Good thing is car doing very well. Again wanted to mention, High speed stability and breaking are excellent.

FE checked on odometer
FE (without AC) - 23.4 KMPL. 120 KM NH4 highway. [clap]
FE (with 100 % AC) - 22 KMPL. 120 KM NH4 highway.

I think this is quite accurate FE. Always Kept speed between 90 to 100 KMPH. As per Fiat Eco drive program, you'll get max mileage at speed between 90 to 95 KMPH.

What is appropriate tyre pressure for Punto?
Pune guyz where are you doing your Punto servicing regularly?. I am not happy with Pandit Auto Akurdi TASS. As per Raj's info one of the service station at Mumbai have separate FIAT staff.

What is appropriate tyre pressure for Punto?
32 in all 4 tyres.
As per Raj's info one of the service station at Mumbai have separate FIAT staff.
In Bangalore also, Fiat cars are serviced by separate staffs.

Anyway, by next year or so, even the service centers and dealers will be separate from Tata's existing set-up.

Thread Starter #45
@RSM - Thanks for the info.

Odo shows 2800KM. Mainly driven in city. Steering feels light weighted and responsive. Why peoples are complaining about punto second gear? its really helpful for city driving. IN heavy traffic, you can easily manage on second gear.

FE - 100 % city - 20 % AC - 18.5 KMPL (checked on odo and quite accurate).

Rattling from dashboard but only in morning when temperature gauge is not at middle and same problem with ICE (automatically restart). These two problems are observed only for 5 min.

Happy with overall performance [clap]

Top Bottom