My First Diesel - FIAT Punto 1.3 Emotion - Initial Ownership Review

Thanks Thetraveller and Surfur

^^ Tyre size for Emotion 1.3 - 165/80 R14

I have some queries -

1) 171 mm GC - scrapping 2 times in 8 days why?
2) If car is stopped without key OFF then why need to again OFF and ON to start engine? Why not ignite at ON position?
Here are my takes:-
1) Punto has a prolongated nose and front area before wheels is longer than other cars. This area hits most of the times during negotiating a pothole or tall speed breaker. I would suggest you to keep this in mind. Also, if you are still not satisfied go for a 195/60 R15 tyres which come on E+. It would increase the GC by 2 mm if calculations are correct.
2) This is a new feature which is implemented differently in different cars these days. This is just to avoid the driver to inadvertently cranking the engine when it is already running. In Punto you need to completely switch off to crank. In some cars, you need to press clutch to crank the engine again.

Thread Starter #17
I heard after tyre upgradation of punto, speedometer would show error (not functioning properly) is this true?

With the tyre size suggested 195/60 R15, the speedo error will be negligible. Anyway E+ comes with that as stock, so no need to worry.

8) Bottom of car scrapped 2 times in 10 days. 171mm GC what is this?
It is the underbelly engine guard(approx 1/8" thick steel) ,like that of SUV, which only punto has in this segment.

you will keep on hitting it at most of the place but it wont be detrimental to your car.

so enjoy your ride.

Thread Starter #20
Thanks Jayadev and Thetraveller for the info.

Punto has engine guard thats good news [:)].
Punto and Linea have lots of features which is unknown to user. Punto has one more feature 'Fire prevention system' which specifically mentioned in feature list.

Thread Starter #22
Thanks nickandre

I just brought it, not used yet. Not much powerful but enough for car cleaning. I'll update you once i used it.

8) Bottom of car scrapped 2 times in 10 days. 171mm GC what is this?
Dont worry, its just the engine guard scraping & not your car;s underbody. The guard is very strong, so no worries.

13) Dual glove box looks handy but no storage space on dash board.
Punto does not even have proper 1L bottle holders. The one behind the gear lever cant be used as its a hindrance while changing gears.
15) If car is stopped without key OFF then why need to again OFF and ON to start engine? Why
Not ignite at ON position?
Its a safety feature, its to prevent double crank, that is accidentally cranking the engine when it is already running.

Last edited:
Heartiest congratulations on the Punto E. Punto is one of the best hatches available today.
Even am plannnig for Punto E+. Eagerlly waiting for your further ownership experience.. drive safe[:)]

Thread Starter #28
Thanks mumbaikar

If you are looking for Punto E+ diesel version then go for 90HP. 30/40 K difference between 76 E+ and 90HP.

Jazz, where is punto? how much she clocked? how is she bahaving with you?

its been 3 days since you updated..that is too much of cruelty against rest of the punto owners.. :-P

Take care of her.

Thread Starter #30
Odometer shows 940 KM

I am facing one strange problem related to ICE (which is factory fitted). Sometimes ICE shutdown (display becomes blank) and again start automatically. Also in FM mode sometimes start autosearching and shutdown and again start automatically. After some observations i realized this problem occurred in mornings where temperature gauge is more towards 'C'. But still i am not convinced the relation ICE and low temperature.

Did punto/Linea owner observe this problem?

Top Bottom