Mahindra XUV500 Engine Shutting Down Randomly

Thread Starter #1
Dear Members,

I am new in this forum,I am using W6, 2017 model, run around 62K, did not face any problem till 59K. Now facing a random engine switch off issue while driving.. engines get completely off , if a try to start it will not even crank however music system all other cluster lights will be functional.

Only after a minute if a try it starts like no issue .. intervals of its repeat is random ranging from 15 kms to 400 kms. Mahindra service team has checked wiring etc , laptop is showing starter relay error over load and low voltage codes , starter relay is replaced but problem remains same.. if any one faced similar problem may please guide.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
1) Check Battery connections.
2) Check wires and couplers attached near battery.
3) Check closely all fuses around it.
Looks like wiring and fuse related issue.
When inspecting wires keep a look out for rat bite marks.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Dear Mr Mayank, Thanks for your reply.. Mahindra service centre has checked wirings including starter motor.. they could not find any loose connector.. this part was addressed. If you can foresee any other probable reason, then please suggest, will get the same rechecked. Some person was saying to replace ECU. I do not know how useful it will be.

Codes are showing relay error and low vol

Last edited by a moderator:

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
1) Check Battery connections.
2) Check wires and couplers attached near battery.
3) Check closely all fuses around it.
Looks like wiring and fuse related issue.
When inspecting wires keep a look out for rat bite marks.
Okay, if you have checked the above already then look for:
1) Bad alternator
2) Malfunctioning Crank shaft position sensor
3) Malfunctioning Camshaft position sensor
Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Hi,
Given the answers above. I also believe this is an electrical issue. As the engine dies and the starter motor will not turn. I would check the battery to starter solenoid "heavy" cable, ensure it has good contacts at both ends and does not have faulty crimps. Also check the engine to battery earth cable (if fitted) and the engine to chassis earth cable. As before check the connections are paint and corrosion free and the crimps are tight.
Badly crimped cable end terminals may show signs of overheating from high resistance. I had exactly the same problem on another type of vehicle (5 years old). I only discovered it when someone else tried to start the vehicle and I could hear "fizzing" from the battery terminal crimp.
Tightening the crimping solved the problem,(if you find a cable/crimp connector to be faulty it may be better to replace it). The crimped cable visually looked perfect !!!!
You could try "by-passing" each cable by fitting a "jump start lead".
The only other fault that may cause one of the codes is a faulty ignition switch, but unlikely given the "overload" error.
Regards Neil

Thread Starter #7
Thanks Mr Neil,
I have taken time at service centre and will aks them
to check the points shared by you.. i also have codes appeared while laptop scanning , sharing that also
P170F- Starter relay open load
P1641- Software reset error 3

It is for reference and in case it can show some insight of the random nature of problem

Hi,
I have listed below 2 links specific to Mahindra that cover the codes you have. Causes, effects and possible fixes are included. May help you resolve your problems. Good luck.
I am currently in the U.K. and spend 4 months of our winter in India. Returned home 2 weeks ago, temperature is 30c lower than India !!!! Can't wait to get back to India, possibly in September.

T50 Signal Error; Ignition Switch - Mahindra Bolero Maxitruck Plus BS III 2013 Diagnostic Manual [Page 225]

Software Reset Error; Charging Circuit - Mahindra Bolero Maxitruck Plus BS III 2013 Diagnostic Manual [Page 224]

Regards Neil

Thread Starter #9
Hi,
I have listed below 2 links specific to Mahindra that cover the codes you have. Causes, effects and possible fixes are included. May help you resolve your problems. Good luck.
I am currently in the U.K. and spend 4 months of our winter in India. Returned home 2 weeks ago, temperature is 30c lower than India !!!! Can't wait to get back to India, possibly in September.

T50 Signal Error; Ignition Switch - Mahindra Bolero Maxitruck Plus BS III 2013 Diagnostic Manual [Page 225]

Software Reset Error; Charging Circuit - Mahindra Bolero Maxitruck Plus BS III 2013 Diagnostic Manual [Page 224]

Regards Neil
Thanks Mr Neil..
Take care iof yourself n extreme cold weather there..
You have given very valuable information.. infact it is matching the problem .. though service centre has informed that all wirings are checked but with this specific line of actions , i can monitor the same.. error code guide is extremely helpfull..

Thanks for your reply

Thread Starter #10
My vehicle is at service centre as suggested in this forum it is electrical problem but i am surprised by hit and trial method adopted by Mahindra experts..
They told that it could be either due to problem in engine wire or fuse box or ECU. I requested them to zero down on which of these is creating problem , but they are looking for hit and trial method at owner's expense. they will change engine wire and see, then change fuse box and see and the ECU , all chargeable.. none of these items are cheap. Can anyone guide a better way to zero down on these?

I suggested them , you check at your end with your own spares since these are expensive items and let me know the faulty part which is to be replaced

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
unfortunately, when there is no easily identifiable cause for a fault or faults, they have to follow a logical sequence of diagnostics. Mahindra will have a set diagnostics pattern for identifying your faults, the service centre should follow it.
Usually,
First is to check for "mechanical" issues like bad connections, bad battery, broken wires, fuses etc.
Second check for defective or damaged components like sensors, alternator, ignition switch etc.
Third check/ replace electronics like ECU, modules etc.
There is no "short cut" to solving an issue like yours. This is because there are quite a few faults that can be the result of one or two (sometimes more) failures. You must realise that the initial defective part can go on to cause issues/damage with other components.
If your service centre is a genuine Mahindra (factory supported) business, I find it unreasonable that they are charging you for the "test" parts fitted. They should use the "trial and error" method of swapping parts until the problem is solved.
Then, when the defective item is found replace it, refit the other parts that were working. You should only pay for the replacement part that caused the fault. All other parts used for testing should be returned to stock.
You should pay for the new part or parts that were defective and the cost of fitting them. You should also pay maybe a third or half of the remaining labour cost.
Some expensive parts like ECUs, modules etc can be sent for testing, but this will take time and incur costs anyway.
Sadly your problem is typical of all newer cars due to the extensive use of electronics, (there can be dozens of sensors, ECUs or modules, sometimes 100 plus). Good old fashioned "mechanical" cars are long gone. Most of the "electronic" problems are actually at the interface between electronics and mechanics, switches, wiring, sensors etc and not actually the electronics units.
Good luck. I have been involved with cars since before "electronics" became widely used in the early 1970,s !!!
Regards Neil

Thread Starter #12
I have also told service centre team to identify the problem , and charge me for faulty part replacement.. their mode of operation is not justifiable.. will update the outcome for benefit of forum

Thread Starter #13
Mahindra has changed fuse box first and handed over the vehicle but problem is not resolved.. they will take a weeks time for engine cable and will try with that.. last is ECU..

They are doing their bit but i am not happy with their limitations of handling this problem.. it is over two months with list of experiments being carried out.. their seriousness of handling tricky electrical issues is not upto the mark..

Thread Starter #14
Hi
To conclude the problem i faced , i would like to add the solution

After several hit and miss , finally ECU was considered for replacement and after its replacement problem is resolved

Thanks for inputs on my thread.

HI

I DO have Similar Problem with my XUV-500 W10 AT, the engine Shuts down abruptly while driving, Problem started after 125000-Kms

I already did 3-Visits to Mahindra Service Station.
1st VISIT - They did clean Fuel tank and filters -- Looked like it fixed the issue - again the issue started after 2-months
2nd VISIT - They found that Fuel line issue and they replaced Fuel pump/all the filters, I do see the issue again
3rd VIST - Just went and gave the vehicle to Service center -

After seeing this discussion, I had asked them to Replace the ECU - he said they cant do that and they have to go with the procedure.
Now they are checking the Fuel injector's
already I am loosing my Patience!!!

Top Bottom