Looking for a No-Nonsense Bike - Got Bajaj Avenger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
I need a Bike.[anger]
Even a pre used one will do.
About myself:- I Have driven mere 3 km on bike in my life.

I have a Honda activa[frustration] Tired and tired and tired of it. (driven 20k km)

Which Indian bike can satisfy me?

my requirement is.

good Response.
No to sports.
Refinement.(least noise and vibration).

Bullet is in my list. but pros.
Too noisy. dupp dupp dupp..I hate it.
I doubt its Refinement
Too crude and outdated Engineering especially when it comes to weight to power ratio.(I maybe wrong)
I don't have nostalgic or such attachments though.

My like :
Recently rode a 20 year old Harley davidson -should I say more-You dont ride it ,it takes you to places.!! (it sounded Jhag jhag jhag giving soothing feel to your Gut)

Do we have something like that in Desi form?
Maybe a 500cc bullet?

AMG

Suspended
Re: Which Bike in India.

well, td an fz.

or wait till auto expo for the rumoured enfield cafe racer.

Re: Which Bike in India.

check out the thunderbird twinspark 350cc ( there are rumours going on about TBTS 500) comfortable, less noisy compared to older models of bullets ( still dont know why you dont want the thump in the bike) [confused]

dont go for the 500 cc ones so early. i'd suggest that you get used to the 350cc before going for the 500 (trust me. 500 classic is way tooo much power to start with. u can start with 350 and upgrade to 500 after some years if u want.

Since u say no to sports some other option i'd suggest is
Avenger 220,
Fazer & Karizma R (i know they look sporty but are pretty good for long distance travel)
Electra 5S (UCE)

do check them out n lmk

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Which Bike in India?

Welcome to the biker's club !

Even a pre used one will do.
About myself:- I Have driven mere 3 km on bike in my life.
Great moments do not depend upon the length of time they lasted

my requirement is.
good Response.
No to sports.
Refinement.(least noise and vibration).

Bullet is in my list. but pros.
If you can afford modern UCE Bullets, that means budget is certainly not a constraint

Too noisy. dupp dupp dupp..I hate it.
The UCE engines are unrefined and noisy but for a Bullet enthusiast the noice and vibration is a part of their charm

I doubt its Refinement
Yes. These are modern engines but they run on old pushrod technology. They are certainly no match for the refinement provided by Japanese motorcycles.

Too crude and outdated Engineering especially when it comes to weight to power ratio.(I maybe wrong)
Yes. Power to weight ratio of the Enfields is nothing to write home about. Almost every 150cc bike in India has better acceleration and top speed than the 350cc Enfields. The 350cc UCE would score on roll-ons at some rpm ranges but that's about it.

I don't have nostalgic or such attachments though.
You dont seem to be an Enfield guy. Forget it. An Enfield buyer would not reason out his purchase, he would just go out and buy the Enfield. Even the mere thought of stepping inside any other motorcycle showroom is a sacrilege for him/her.

My like :
Recently rode a 20 year old Harley davidson -should I say more-You dont ride it ,it takes you to places.!! (it sounded Jhag jhag jhag giving soothing feel to your Gut)
Hmm....so you've got the bug.

Do we have something like that in Desi form?
Maybe a 500cc bullet?
The Classic 500 is a good motorcycle to ride and Enfield is constantly ironing out niggles with it's EFI system but they still have a long way to go before they achieve Japanese levels of quality and reliability. But the good thing about riding an Enfield is that you do not mind that long way. Take a test ride, you might like one. Generally, Enfields require their owner to be mechanically inclined and patient with their various idiosyncrasies and hence these motorcycles are not recommended for greenhorns who would get exasperated if their new motorcycle wouldn't start after one or two kicks/pushes of the electric starter every day. I own an immaculate '98 model CI Machismo (and yes, I just love it - it will be burned with me when I die) so I speak from experience. Since you are not into sports bikes, also try the Bajaj Avenger 220. Defer your purchase till January where many new motorcycles would be launched. If you still do not like anything, you always have the option that second hand Harley. All the best and happy biking.

How about Avenger 220 , very comfortable ride and nice handling.

Thread Starter #6

Fazer & Karizma R (i know they look sporty but are pretty good for long distance travel)
Yes you got it well "No sports".
Immaculate power delivery and balance with utmost comfort (is it too much)

Take a test ride, you might like one. Generally, Enfields require their owner to be mechanically inclined and patient with their various idiosyncrasies and hence these motorcycles are not recommended for greenhorns who would get exasperated if their new motorcycle wouldn't start after one or two kicks/pushes of the electric starter every day.
I wont mind my Car creating problems but Bikes i cannot tolerate..hope you understand that.Honda activa has been "ever loyal never ever gave up".

I am seriously going through reviews and realized Enfield 500cc is too much problematic..sigh...Still I can consider it if it does have something in it.
How much we have option for Modifications .. ??

You dont seem to be an Enfield guy. Forget it. An Enfield buyer would not reason out his purchase, he would just go out and buy the Enfield. Even the mere thought of stepping inside any other motorcycle showroom is a sacrilege for him/her.
You got it right to an extend. I like macho cycles which do performs too. I dont know in what category does our Indian Enfield fits...It amuses me (sorry).

It should be responsive to my wishes...sometimes I prefer to travel at speed of thought !!!

If you can afford modern UCE Bullets, that means budget is certainly not a constraint
Sure ..It can go upto 2 lakhs :-P ,after all it should be my own precious.(hope family members are not reading it ahem preferably emi.)

Defer your purchase till January where many new motorcycles would be launched. If you still do not like anything, you always have the option that second hand Harley. All the best and happy biking.
I hate to wait but I can.

No I dont need harley..That would be too much ..I am not that rich yet...not even for 3rd hand (maintenance :-( )

I own an immaculate '98 model CI Machismo (and yes, I just love it - it will be burned with me when I die) so I speak from experience. Since you are not into sports bikes, also try the Bajaj Avenger 220.
How about Avenger 220 , very comfortable ride and nice handling.
How good is avenger.
I like it with the look of it but specs (including user reviews) are too embarrassing

I am not that so good fan of bajaj..last I drove was Bajaj pulsar150 at 100 kmph I realized she was nervous -not of my kind.
Unicorn was okayish but jittery.

Well a weird statement but i believe some of you may get it:-

I drive Punto so I prefer bike which can keep up with its pace. :-) (how odd)

re: Looking for a Trouble Free No-Nonsense Bike: Now bought Royal Enfield!

Jayadev as avengerrider has suggested, it wouldn't be wise for you to look at 500CC RE (its no longer a bullet) jumping from a Scooter with 100 or 150cc engine to 500cc wouldn't be a good idea. Unfortunately bikes in our country can never match up to the pace of the cars so don't even dream about that lol.

Like others suggested a no frills bike & a cruiser would be Avenger 220, which is ideal for city as well as at the spurt of the moment rides you want to have, but I see you didn't like the reviews about it. The next cruiser available is RE Thunderbird 350 which has a muffled thump & you will barely hear it, however this one is still riddled with issues as well but not as much as with the EFI on 500cc Classic

Thread Starter #8

I wonder how the title got changed but whoever did it ,read my mind.
In India rarely anybody accepts a biker as sane.
so I always kept myself off. suddenly the bug bit me again..

The next cruiser available is RE Thunderbird 350 which has a muffled thump & you will barely hear it
That is very interesting and I will sure love it.
, however this one is still riddled with issues as well but not as much as with the EFI on 500cc Classic
Please let me make it clear. I don't want Issues.
This is not for daily commute but out of shear pleasure and Passion.I was looking for an off-roader jeep but now postponed due to many reasons so I will be investing that money into this.

I will rarely drive it (for the moment I think so) but When I am in mood It should be ready.
This is not for show off or for the sake of acquisition.

I have done a trip with my younger brother-kannur- Vayanad-Kannur in my Honda activa , 230 km journey-It was awful. we kept praising goodness of bike all the way.
Blame it on poor suspension and lifeless power delivery.

Jayadev as avengerrider has suggested, it wouldn't be wise for you to look at 500CC RE (its no longer a bullet) jumping from a Scooter with 100 or 150cc engine to 500cc wouldn't be a good idea..
No ..no..!! I jumped from 100 cc scooter to 1300cc MJD without any issues ;-).
I am a biker by "_ _ _ _"

Unfortunately bikes in our country can never match up to the pace of the cars so don't even dream about that lol
Pace- I dint mean speed literally . I meant qualitatively.Something which can grow on me like my Punto.

Ps:I am not a spoiled rich person but I love good machines which stays with me.So i believe one time investment is worth.

@ jayadev

I have been a "wing rider" for the last 7 years, as I use a Honda Unicorn on daily basis.This bike has pleased me like nothing, it is such a smooth,fast,comfortable and gentle bike,what more I can say,owning this bike has been like a dream.So THE XOVER says please go and test Honda Unicorn, and you can count on me when I say "you are gonna love every moment of it"

Regards

if your budget permits then why not a CBR250? its reasonably comfortable and yet powerful as well. do check it out.

I wonder how the title got changed but whoever did it ,read my mind.
In India rarely anybody accepts a biker as sane.
so I always kept myself off. suddenly the bug bit me again..

It's a good bug. You will love it. Dont let it get out of you.

That is very interesting and I will sure love it.

Please let me make it clear. I don't want Issues.

Do not even think about Enfields then. Period.

This is not for daily commute but out of shear pleasure and Passion.I was looking for an off-roader jeep but now postponed due to many reasons so I will be investing that money into this.

I will rarely drive it (for the moment I think so) but When I am in mood It should be ready.

This is not for show off or for the sake of acquisition.

Good. A bike is as such an intimately personal object of affection. Sod what others think about it.

I have done a trip with my younger brother-kannur- Vayanad-Kannur in my Honda activa , 230 km journey-It was awful. we kept praising goodness of bike all the way.
Blame it on poor suspension and lifeless power delivery.

I know. Trailing link front forks. I once did a 150 km journey two-up on a Bajaj Sunny. Ouch !

No ..no..!! I jumped from 100 cc scooter to 1300cc MJD without any issues ;-).
I am a biker by "_ _ _ _"

Pace- I dint mean speed literally . I meant qualitatively.Something which can grow on me like my Punto.

Seriously, try the Honda CBR 250 and the TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS. The Apache has the grunt, the charm, the reliability, the performance, and the soundtrack to keep you happy. Just go and take a long test ride and you will love it. The CBR 250 is in a different league but try it out nevertheless.

Ps:I am not a spoiled rich person but I love good machines which stays with me.So i believe one time investment is worth.
Yes. You MUST take your time to decide. I shall be following this thread closely to check out the pic of the motorcycle that you finally post. Go get 'em !

Last edited:

Err... Jayadev are you planning on making any investment in protective gear as well? didn't see a mention of it. Honda Unicorn crossed my mind when I was typing that post last night but somehow failed to put it in the post. I agree with THE XOVER Unicorn is a VFM bike & its no nonsense as well. Just need to be sure to do a thorough PDI before making full payment though. That's all there is to it

Unicorn is a good bike for city rides, comfortable. the perfect combo of power and looks for the city. [thumbsup]
(dont have any idea of an unicorn's performances on long rides. Xover inputs please)

i think unicorn was the first bike in india which sported a mono-shock (do correct me if i am wrong).

Unicorn is a good bike for city rides... comfortable... the perfect combo of power and looks for the city... [thumbsup]
(dont have any idea of an unicorn's performances on long rides... Xover inputs pls )...

i think unicorn was the first bike in india which sported a monoshock ( do correct me if i am wrong )
Unicorn is a fantastic motorcycle but it gives you ZERO excitement. I have driven it extensively over both long and short distances and must say that it performs equally well under both types of riding. The monoshock performs better with a pillion on board, or so I feel. Very few people know that the Unicorn is not the first bike in India to be sold with a monoshock. That distinction goes to the BSA GT50 (also called Bond/Falcon) that was sold in India in the 1980's.

However, going by what jayadev has posted till now, I'm sure he needs a bikes that would plunge it's hands inside his trousers and not inside his pockets, and the Unicorn, fantastic though it may be, just cannot do that.

Unicorn is a good bike for city rides... comfortable... the perfect combo of power and looks for the city... [thumbsup]
(dont have any idea of an unicorn's performances on long rides... Xover inputs pls )...

i think unicorn was the first bike in india which sported a monoshock ( do correct me if i am wrong )
Kinetic Comet was also sold with mono-suspension.On long drives Unicorn is an awesome bike,no bike you will find as agile as Unicorn, thanks to mono shock, it can literally change directions in a blink,also if you want to hold a line you can do it without any shoulder pain.Overtaking is also fun, and easy.:biggrin:

On the excitement part, well I can not speak for others, but for me after riding Pulsars,Karizmas,and even Yamaha RX100, its the Unicorn that has given me most exciting time of life,I will never touch any bike as long as have got Unicorn to ride.As they say "To Each His Own".[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom