How To Test / Inspect Automatic Gearbox?

Thread Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Old Honda City - 2001 Model Automatic Variant. I took a test drive and it ran smoothly. I will be getting the car tested by a mechanic soon to check the other aspects. But the main concern is the Automatic Gear Box. In my city, Automatic Cars are rare and so mechanics are not too aware about testing Auto Boxes. Kindly guide me on how to test the condition of the Automatic Gear Box. Thank you

350Z

Core Team
Re: Testing a Automatic Gear Box

Fixing an automatic transmission could be a costly affair. Please ensure to thoroughly inspect the car inside out. Here is a useful link that has detailed explanation.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I am looking to buy a Old Honda City - 2001 Model Automatic Variant. I took a test drive and it ran smoothly. I will be getting the car tested by a mechanic soon to check the other aspects. But the main concern is the Automatic Gear Box. In my city, Automatic Cars are rare and so mechanics are not too aware about testing Auto Boxes. Kindly guide me on how to test the condition of the Automatic Gear Box. Thank you
Let us know the ODO reading on the car. That could help us make a fair judgment.

One simple way to test auto-tran is to keep driving the car within city (lanes and by-lanes, in traffic, stop-n-go) and in highway. Basically the idea is to create all situations where the gears have to fall back-n-forth at different speeds. If you get the slightest of "jhatkas", assume that the auto-box is not perfect.

I recently test drove a 2011 Ford Endeavour and all was fine until I hit a spot where the car had to switch to a lower gear suddenly, and I got a big "jhatka". When I made a comment about that the sales guy said oh that's normal in auto-car. That's BS.

I've driven auto-cars for 25 years and in India I've driven Santro auto model for 6 years. Santro rocks. Auto-tran can go on and on for years. They are very reliable and maintenance free. Auto-tran is a very old technology. Among consumer brands, Hondas and Toyotas have mastered the auto-tran technology over the years. You can easily clock upto 200K miles (not kms) on these cars without touching the tranny. In India (on bad roads), I would assume they should touch 100K miles easy.

Have an experienced driver test drive the vehicle. All the best.

A few tips that might help. Kindly ensure empty roads for the test.

Roll all the windows up and do not switch on the AC (sorry for making you sweat). Now, turn on the ignition, notice any irregular vibrations. Press the brake pedal to some extent and rev the accelerator. If the car shudders badly, the tranny is weak. Now, let go of the accelerator, let the car idle for a min. Now, rev a little hard (I know it's not good for AT) like picking up a manual in 1st gear. Hear the sound of gear changes happening and try to remember the RPM values at which you hear the gear changes. Stop the car. again rev hard repeat the same and note the RPM markings. Next, rev the car normally and go for a decent spin for a few kms. Turn off the car, open the bonnet and look for any unacceptable burning smells.

Results : If the car revs nicely and even after the above there is no shudder and burnt smells, then upto an extent we can say the the transmission and the engine are healthy. But still, get a professionals opinion for sure for the very reason the 350Z pointed out.

Lastly, best of luck for your AT honda city. It was a gen of a car and if maintained nicely can easily do 2lac kms without any serious issues to the engine and transmission.

freakdude.

Top Bottom