How to Secure Car’s ECU from Theft?

Thread Starter #16
The cost of Maruti 800’s ECU is approx. Rs.15,000 but I didn’t claimed the insurance. For the stereo – insurance company refused because it is an aftermarket add-on about which you have to mention in advance while insuring the car.

Drive Safe,
350Z
And how much i10's ecu cost?

ECU's are mostly located somewhere under dashboard. so it is difficult for thieves to stole it.

I guess even carb vehicles also has some control unit, i was reading some manual , dont remember which was it though.

350Z

Core Team
ECU is that one big black box type right then safari has his ECU near engine
In a car, there are many other components that also look like a black box, such as fuse box as said by alok_student2000. Typically, an Electric Control Module looks like this:

fiat_ecu_small1.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

its confirm ECU is in engine area not under dashboard as there cover for protecting ECU from water which we get from tata seeing one of the photo still will check in morning in my car . fuse box you are saying also there .

Last edited:
@ Mastersquall Hey buddy our Safari's ECM is under the dash-board. I remember the SA connecting a laptop to the ECM to check something!

Fiats have the ECM near the battery. Even if the ECM is near the engine the OBD port may be inside the cabin. That's where you connect the laptop.

Oh okay so Peter clears our doubts! I might have been referring to the OBD port only which is placed under the dash-board!

My God. What has this world come to. I had absolutely no idea that people stole ECUs nowadays. My TVS Apache's ECU had got damaged once when a mechanic tried to fix the Bajaj Pulsar backlit switchgear onto my bike. It costed around rs. 2k for a new ECU.

Top Bottom