How Do You Drive On Inclined Steeps?

No issues.If you or anybody like to try or check it practically,always welcome.[:)]
Hey, next time you are around, take a pic. Will be fun to at least imagine going over those roads, till the time I can make it there!!

I have just spent a short holiday in Guwahati, and a day in Shillong last year, so I am not sure when next I will be making a trip in that direction!!

Hey, next time you are around, take a pic. Will be fun to at least imagine going over those roads, till the time I can make it there!!

I have just spent a short holiday in Guwahati, and a day in Shillong last year, so I am not sure when next I will be making a trip in that direction!!
Sure,done.But I dont think a pic will prove it much rather than driving there.

Btw in guwahati and shillong which places you went and in which locality you stayed? Did you visit Kamakshya Mandir,Cherrapunji, and the highest hilltop beside shillong city,forgot its name,probably Tiger Hill??I love those places,specially the hilly road from Shillong to Guwahati.Thats a lovely drive ,the road is so smooth and the hills and sceneries are so beautiful and serene that a practical guy will become romantic somehow.

Multi-storey parking

Hi,

I'm scared of driving in steep slopes of multi-storey malls. [confused] Its more about going up than going down. Especially when there is traffic. [frustration] [cry]

I know the handbreak clutch break technicque on fly overs, but malls parking slopes are just too steep. What practice do you follow here?

Re: Multi-storey parking

Hi,

I'm scared of driving in steep slopes of multi-storey malls. [confused] Its more about going up than going down. Especially when there is traffic. [frustration] [cry]

I know the handbreak clutch break technicque on fly overs, but malls parking slopes are just too steep. What practice do you follow here?
Not sure what to say, but just relax and drive as if you are going up a steep hill.

The drive should be same as going uphill. Use clutch only if you drive a diesel car or car with more torque.
BTW, does Diesel Car advantage over Petrol in climbing an hill due to better low end torque? Maybe, you get more time to switch from brake to accelerator. Just a thought.

BTW, does Diesel Car advantage over Petrol in climbing an hill due to better low end torque? Maybe, you get more time to switch from brake to accelerator. Just a thought.
Yes, you're right. Diesel engines does have better torque than their fellow petrol ones.

Talking about steep incline. This is what I would do, if the incline isn't very steep, I'd do the "Brake and Fast release clutch with Acceleration". To be more specific, I'd step on the Brake with the right foot and the left foot pressing down the clutch pedal and then a quick clutch depress with the right foot hitting the gas pedal after releasing the brake.
And if the incline is very steep, like say in a mall. I'd use the half clutch tactic.
With the right foot on the Brake and the left foot depressing the clutch to a position where the car would move forward if on level ground. At this position the car wouldn't roll back nor go forward at the incline. Then I'd take the foot off the brake pedal and accelerate.

In steep incline , half clutch technique is better to followed rather than hand break technique.
Hand break technique work good on over bridge or ghat road.
For half clutch also you need to be very care full for not to drive a longer time, once you get the momentum ,release the clutch.

Couple of weeks before my trainer took me to Ghat section which has approximate 20 degrees of incline. He taught me to start and stop the car (Santro) for 5-6 times and I felt it easy, the method is as follows:

If your car stops on incline due to traffic, you need to fully depress brake and clutch pedal to floor and engage the car into 1st gear. Then keeping brake pedal depressed release clutch slowly and at one point of time the car starts vibrating and engine noise also changes, at this point you need to stop releasing clutch and maintain it at same position. Now you need to release your brake pedal slowly until your car starts moving ahead.

Now, if the traffic ahead of you is cleared or started moving then release brake and clutch fully and start giving acceleration.
If traffic ahead of you is crawling then don’t release clutch fully, keep it at same position and just control your car with brake.
If traffic ahead of you has again came to complete stop then first depress clutch fully followed by depressing brake pedal to floor.

Experts please let me know if this is proper technique for all inclines on Indian road.

Experts please let me know if this is proper technique for all inclines on Indian road.
Slope Driving in Malls / Bridges with Severe Bumper to Bumper Traffic :

I need to encounter this. I drove in malls to park my vehicle where it was a deep incline. Luckily, there was no vehicle in my front and just went up in the slope. I also see bumper to bumper heavy traffic in bridges. I have two queries with regard to this :

Malls
--------
What gear to be shifted in the slope ( malls ) where there is no vehicle in the front ie, one can easily drive in the slope as the turnings are very sharp in malls ? If there are vehicles in my front, I am made to stop in the slope with the vehicle in my back, what needs to be done ?

Bridge Incline
-----------------
I haven't been taught to drive in uphills / to stop in Bridges incline in crawling traffic. Please do suggest as what needs to be done in this situation ? I fear of rollback and it might hit the vehicles in the back as in the crawling traffic, vehicles will be too close and also they keep honking even if there is a slight delay in movement. Also, seen here some people suggesting to use handbrake. Please do suggest as what needs to be done to move in bridges incline in bumper to bumper crawling traffic ?

As per above in both the case drive in 1st gear. Keep your hand brake handy and engage same as and when required. Else keep half clutch depressed .

Top Bottom