Honda City Price Slashed

My friend recently bought a Jazz and only last week i got a chance to check it out. Man , the car is seriously awesome , i can say its the best premium hatch when it comes to comfort , space and quality of Interiors! I mean i am very tall and in none of the hatches i have felt so comfortable sitting at the rear bench! In Jazz my knees did not brush the front seat even with an average sized adult at the front. Jazz is better than Punto , Polo and i20 if you consider space , comfort and interior fit and finish quality!

My friend recently bought a Jazz and only last week i got a chance to check it out. Man , the car is seriously awesome , i can say its the best premium hatch when it comes to comfort , space and quality of Interiors! I mean i am very tall and in none of the hatches i have felt so comfortable sitting at the rear bench! In Jazz my knees did not brush the front seat even with an average sized adult at the front. Jazz is better than Punto , Polo and i20 if you consider space , comfort and interior fit and finish quality!
anyday buddy, thats why it was always praised for the space jazz gives which no other car offers in hatchback category, only its pricing didnt let it sell in good numbers.

Localization was much needed for the City. I somehow feel that 7.66 base price isnt much for the City. Actually the new tag is justified.

@truecitylover: I can understand your state:smile:

Oh man! I can understand your disappointment. But having the best machine available in petrol, I think you deserve a [cheers]

I am really tempted to have a look at City now after price reduction. My only issue is looking at the future diesel seems to be the best option.

@truecitylover: I can understand your state:smile:
Exactly bro! Argh, they say in mobiles and wifes if you wait, you'll get the better. Now, its time to add up cars too.

Oh man! I can understand your disappointment. But having the best machine available in petrol, I think you deserve a [cheers]

I am really tempted to have a look at City now after price reduction. My only issue is looking at the future diesel seems to be the best option.
Yeah. The only thing i am happy about is simple -> 6 months of enjoyment with my drive + depreciation value = new price.

Join the city club soon bro. Price is affordable regardless of the diesel factor. What if our government cuts subsidy on Diesel soon?
I am a happy City owner and i get a good mileage with full time A/C on.

Well, I believe Honda in India is floundering. Like Ford in the US they had gotten so complacent that they thought the Honda badge would take care of every problem. Unfortunately it did not work out that way.
What would explain the fact that while other car manufacturers were busy increasing car prices - Honda is decreasing the price of their 'bread and butter' car?

Month after month (for the past few months Vento has outsold the City).
Inspite of the long waiting period, customers are willing to buy the Vento rather than go for the City.

Let's look at their models :

Jazz - Never really took off - Now with the reduction of the City prices - Jazz sales would be hit further. Both models are priced too close to each other for Jazz's comfort.

City - The only bread and butter model for Honda in India. Lack of Competition in this segment in the early years meant Honda had it all their way inspite of not offering anything more than the basics. I can't remember when Honda last seriously upgraded its City. The City is under extreme, very extreme pressure from Vento and the New Verna. The new Verna has already garnered amazing reviews and folks are comparing Verna and Vento. City is nowhere around. City's Vtech engine may be brilliant but Honda India needs to understand folks do not 'stay and live' in the engine. They need other
creature comforts too.

Civic - A good car, but of late also feeling the heat. Competition from Cruze forced Honda to add a sun roof but they are still reacting instead of leading the pack here.

CRV- IMO CRV is history unless they come up with a diesel engine and that too priced aggressively. The present CRV is grossly overpriced and sales are abysmal at this point.

IMO - the Car industry is becoming more like a software industry. Upgrade quickly or be left behind. And for those who get left behind, there is no guarantee they could make themselves relevant in the changed scenarios.

Innovation, foresight and vision are the basic prerequisites for a auto maker.

Not having a diesel engine is going to hurt big time for Honda in India. Other competing manufacturers are going to have a field day at Honda's expense.

I think it's a matter of when and not if Honda comes up with a diesel engine on the cars. I hope it's not too late for them.

Last edited:
I believe the slashed prices have helped City gain some decent sales. However i am not sure, how long it will help Honda sell City.

Honda City Discounts

The base model, Honda City EMT 1.5 gets a cash discount of Rs. 25,000 bringing its price down to Rs. 7.24 lakh from Rs. 7.49 lakh. The popular SMT variant gets whopping Rs. 65,000 off bringing down its price to Rs. 7.54 lakh from Rs. 8.19 lakh. And the fully-loaded VMT which costs Rs. 8.64 lakh can be had for Rs. 7.94 lakh after a Rs. 70,000 discount.
In short, all variants of the excellent Honda City, sans the automatic, can be bought for less than Rs. 8 lakh—BUT ONLY TILL OCTOBER 5. And there is an added benefit of slightly reduced interest rate of 11.49 per cent which should save a few hundred bucks more.

Source - Honda City discounts in October | DWS Auto India

Enquired Honda dealer (Capital Honda) here in Chennai. The OnRoad prices and after discounts are

Variants OnRoad Price After Discount
1.5 S MT 9.59L 8.89L
1.5 V MT 10.11L 9.41L
1.5 V AT 10.94L 10.24L

It seems that 1.5 EMT is out of stock and it will take 2 months to deliver. I also enquired about the facelift version, he said that it will take another 6 months to launch (it looks desparate they want to clear the stocks).

I hope if you go for a deal, they might reduce another 10 to 20k. [:)]

Last edited:

Top Bottom