Honda Brio Diesel Launch Likely in 2017 (Details: Pg.3)

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Honda is, of late, keenly working to increase their market share in India which is going off their hands from some time now. To conquer this situation, Honda has started testing i-DTEC (Nicknamed Earth Dreams Technology) Engine which could be introduced in 1.2 Litre avatar on Brio and likely launch later in 2012. However, Honda will firstly debut i-DTEC with Civic in Europe (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...3602-honda-civic-diesel-confirmed-europe.html).

2011-Honda-Brio-Hatchback-22.jpg
Source: Honda Motor plans diesel variant of Brio to increase market share - The Economic Times

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Surprise! Honda Might Unveil Brio Diesel in End-2012

honda has a big line up of diesels in europe from a long time .

i still cant comprehend why honda was sleeping in order to bring the diesels variants in india where they could have some awesome sales figures [frustration]

Honda Motor plans diesel Brio

Honda Motor could introduce the diesel variant of its high-selling compact car 'Brio' in India this year, bringing forward plans to tap a car market skewed away from costly petrol.

The carmaker is testing its newly developed diesel technology, common rail i-DTEC, on the Brio and could introduce it in a 1.2-litre version. The diesel variants of its City sedan and Jazz hatchback, carrying larger engines, will be introduced later. The company had earlier planned to introduce diesel vehicles in 2013.

"Honda is committed to bringing its diesel technology to key markets like India. And to ensure that Honda diesel is best suited to local conditions and offers optimum performance levels, Honda is conducting stringent tests at its R&D centres across several locations," a company spokesperson said in an email response. Honda, which operates in India through its JV Honda Siel Cars India, is keen on regaining market share from rivals Volkswagen and Toyota whose diesel cars account for a large chunk of their sales.

The Japanese automaker, which entered India in 1995, has seen sales fall 27% in the first nine months of the current fiscal, largely because it was unable to introduce any diesel variants, which have become popular in India because of the rising cost of petrol.

The carmaker's output in India was also affected by shortage of components after last year's tsunami in Japan and flash floods in Thailand, which led to a 36% loss in production, or 27,939 units, in the April-December period.

The i-DTEC engine, nicknamed "Earth Dreams Technology" will first be used in the new Civic sedan in Europe this year. According to some people working closely with the company, "its application for other models and markets is likely to come in the shape of Brio compact car for India in the initial phase".

Diesel cars, which registered a 26% rise in sales in the first nine months of the current fiscal, accounted for about 60% of the passenger vehicles sold in the country. During the same period, sale of petrol cars dipped 18%. According to industry executives, diesel cars account for over 80% of sales in models like Maruti Swift and Hyundai Verna, where both fuel options are available.

Source : ET

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team

Threads Merged. Same news has been already posted.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Prices of some honda petrol cars are on par with competitions' diesel variants. Diesel will obviously be pricier. Although, I think it wont make much difference for Brio, but for Jazz and other Honda's diesel variants might be exorbitantly priced.

Excellent piece of information, this news made my day. However i am eagerly waiting for the Civic diesel/Jazz diesel.

honda bringing in the diesel engined cars after the govt has slapped tax on diesel cars. don't think its going to set the sales charts on fire.

Prices of some honda petrol cars are on par with competitions' diesel variants. Diesel will obviously be pricier. Although, I think it wont make much difference for Brio, but for Jazz and other Honda's diesel variants might be exorbitantly priced.

Exactly! This is what i am thinking how Honda is going to manage coupled with the ever increasing taxes on diesel cars. Say for example Jazz is already priced around 7.5Lakhs and diesel variant will push it close to 9Lakhs which will be too much for an hatchback. I think Civic will survive and regain sales because diesel sedans in this segment are priced much higher than Civic barring Cruze. City is also going to face tough time with its top-model currently priced as high as some other diesel sedans. Needless to mention Accord and CR-V , there are already much better diesel options available in the market at cheaper prices now itself.

But i think Honda will after all survive because people in India are madly in love with Honda's and Toyota's!

Say for example Jazz is already priced around 7.5Lakhs and diesel variant will push it close to 9Lakhs which will be too much for an hatchback.
Hi, if they put small fuel efficient engine difference will become less. say 80k - 100k

Well,everyone knows that one more CRDi engine is coming up with the name i-dtec with some different tuning and power delivery rest nothing else is new.But since its a Honda so hype is a natural thing around it.
Right now every manufacturer has CRDi technology with them,so Honda now needs to get a really special product at a staggering price like it has done with Jazz,City and Brio,only then it can succeed else....

Honda is refinement and handling benchmark. They just look premium and awesome anyday. I am sure they would have good response to all their diesel cars when they happen to introduce them in India.

Honda is refinement and handling benchmark. They just look premium and awesome anyday. I am sure they would have good response to all their diesel cars when they happen to introduce them in India.

I agree Honda's are refined , look premium and awesome but handling benchmark??!! I mean seriously?? Then haven't you driven the VW'S , Fiat's , Ford's and Skoda's till now?

Mods sorry for the OT.

Exactly! This is what i am thinking how Honda is going to manage coupled with the ever increasing taxes on diesel cars. Say for example Jazz is already priced around 7.5Lakhs and diesel variant will push it close to 9Lakhs which will be too much for an hatchback.
My Jazz select costed me 6.24 OTR (base jazz OTR would be around 6 or less). What you are saying are old prices, if I'm not wrong. Competition can do wonders, my friend! Look at how they reduced the Jazz & city prices.

The problem is that Honda had invested heavily into alternate energy forms such as electric/hydrogen and never thought that diesel would be the sustainable fuel for the future. But now they have turned around as the market dynamics have changed.

My guess would be that this diesel will again set the benchmark balancing power & FE and people will pay for it. Even you & I like to dine at a 5star restaurant sometimes don't we? Even though we know that a large portion of the inflated bill is taxes, but we still do eat here once in a blue moon. So going by the same logic, since a car is a long term emotional purchase, I feel people will always be willing to pay a premium for Honda even if they know that, its the Brand they are buying into.

Cheers

Jazzy

The last part of your post was what i exactly wanted to mention. There will be much better and cheaper cars in the market but people opt for the brand value and invest in Honda.

And BTW is Jazz select the top-end version of Jazz? If no how much does Jazz's top-end variant cost? Also the price of City's top-end price please.

I am very much surprised. I was waiting this for long. I always waited for a diesel car by the Honda. Atlast, they have decided to unveil it.
The prices might increase but still it wont effect the sales chart coz now itself the petrol cars are priced high but still there are many out there. Some people don't care about the money when its worth it.

The last part of your post was what i exactly wanted to mention. There will be much better and cheaper cars in the market but people opt for the brand value and invest in Honda.

And BTW is Jazz select the top-end version of Jazz? If no how much does Jazz's top-end variant cost? Also the price of City's top-end price please.
The Jazz X is the top end version. It costs 6.24L (ex-showroom) in chennai. The city 1.5 V Sunroof is the top end version & it costs 9.67L (ex-showroom) & 10.04 (ex-showroom) for the automatic in Chennai.

Top Bottom