Filling Nitrogen in Tyres

But one thing is for sure, many says pure nitrogen is better & many says environment air is as good as nitrogen, but nobody says pure nitrogen is worst then air. So lets go with experts, use NITROGEN. [:)]

I am using pure nitrogen in my i10 since 2 years (as part of annual maintenance package) & never got problem of leakage & low pressure tyre

Everybody talks about 80% of nitrogen in air.
Well, those people are not aware about the actual benefits of filling nitrogen in tires.

Kindly note that, the 80% of nitrogen you get along with the air do also contain water vapor, because majority of the air filling shops do not have a dryer or the one that works properly to make it dry.

AFAIK, the concentration of nitrogen in the compressed "nitrogen gas" that we are filling in our tires are also not 100% pure nitrogen and it contains some percentage of oxygen in it. But definitely its DRY and there wont be any water vapor in it.

Comparing to normal air which contains about 20% oxygen is more prone to oxidization(Even though newer tires are far more resistant to oxidization.)

I use to experience 2-3psi loss of normal air within 2 months. never had similar experiences with nitrogen.

I use nitrogen for the following reasons.
*I need my tire to last longer years, because considering my vehicle usage even after 5 years my tire threads are not going to wear out[lol]. So what i need is more healthy years.
-Due to the absence of oxygen, tire oxidization wont be so quick and helps the tire to last longer.
*For me nitrogen filling is not expensive.
-I got free nitrogen fill up while upgrading my tires.(anyways it just cost Rs.200)
Nitrogen top ups are free during wheel alignment works. In other times, i just need to pay Rs.10 for the topup and sometime even that too free[:D](From where I brought my new set of XM2 tires)
*Less driven vehicle tend to lose air faster.
-Is this a right statement? But it happens to me.[confused]. Where as I didn't experience the same with nitrogen filled tires.

Myth
*Nitrogen filled tire results in much better fuel mileage.
-A properly inflated tire (either nitrogen or air) will results in almost same amount of fuel consumption.

IMO, if you can get DRY compressed air and if your vehicle usage is high, then go with normal air itself and be sure to keep them up properly inflated by regularly topping up so as to get better thread life.

Last edited:
The Debate is Nitrogen VS Air
Undoubtedly Pure Nitrogen will be better albeit marginally.

Here i find the Debate should be
Nitrogen VS Cost
It costs Rs. 50 for each tyre(generally) to fill Nitrogen. Add another Rs. 10-20 for top up for each tyre.
I wonder spending around 100 bucks monthly just for Pure Nitrogen is justified?
I know 100 bucks is nothing for car or us but does the benefit you get out of it is worth the cost?

For me fill nitrogen only if
1. If you are going to hit highways in summer or mirage is easily seen.
2. You are living in area with high humidity and tyres have to work hard( i am referring hilly regions)

For Normal City Driving, Air can be used even if it's summer or high humidity.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Few Pumps give Nitrogen Free with 1000 or 1500 worth of fuel. Be cautious, the one known to me also put less quantity of fuel.

Last edited:
I changed all 4 tyres with Michelin XM2 filled with Nitrogen. Till today I am topping up with Nitrogen. At some petrol station (Chennai)[:D] its free if you fill Petrol for Rs 1000 and at some station Rs 20 for all the tyres. My experience is I had to top up once in three months, approx 2750 KM run, which I feel great relief comparing normal air top up.

It costs Rs. 50 for each tyre(generally) to fill Nitrogen. Add another Rs. 10-20 for top up for each tyre. I wonder spending around 100 bucks monthly just for Pure Nitrogen is justified?
Just wish to say to say that I use nitrogen in my car on a regular basis for at least two years now and have somehow come to believe that it definitely lasts longer. I do not know what are the experiences of others but for me one fill up is good for almost three months. With ordinary air I earlier needed to refill almost on a monthly basis.
However, this is my personal experience and difference of opinion is very much solicited.

My 2 cent on this issue is, nitrogen saves petrol as tyre is inflated to proper levels all the time. Whereas if you fill normal air, the pressure is always varying. Sometimes you are lazy/ forgetfull/dont have time/dont have options to check air pressure. So this leads to loss in efficiency.
One thing I have noticed while filling nitrogen is if the vehicle is not used for long duration there is a bulge in the tube.

In indian oil bunks you if you fill Rs 500 petrol nitrogen air is free

I do a lot of highway driving. Reading through this forum, one benefit of filling nitrogen is minimal pressure loss in the tyres. I would like to fill up nitrogen for my car tyres.
Please advise me where Nitrogen filling is available in Nungambakkam/T.Nagar area and the cost.

An update:
In Chennai Nitrogen can be filled/topped up at:

• XL Tyre Point - Rs.50/- per tyre to fill up and Rs.10/- per tyre to top up
  • MRF Tyredrome - Rs.50/- per tyre to fill up and topping is free
Filled up Nitrogen at XL Tyre Point - Anna Nagar. Driven about 20 km in the city, not able to observe any difference. Going on a highway trip. Let me check on tyre performance

Nitrogen air filling joints on ORR Bangalore

I recently shifted house, and now I am travelling through ORR daily. The one thing that bothers me is I still havent found a petrol pump where nitrogen air filling is done. So posting here my query for all you experts to point me to correct locations where I can do a quick stop nitrogen air check.

Suppose situation arises when I have N2 filled in my tyres and give it for regular service at service centre. I don't think all the service centres have nitrogen filling facility but guaranteed has air facility. Top up is made to my nitrogened tyres with air/oxygen readily available at service centre. So a mix up of N2 & O2 might have occured. What will happen to my tyres in case of mix up? experts pl answer me.

Just to try it again, filled N2 yesterday. Wanted to personally check on the claims on N2. Will keep the thread updated.

Suppose situation arises when I have N2 filled in my tyres and give it for regular service at service centre. I don't think all the service centres have nitrogen filling facility but guaranteed has air facility. Top up is made to my nitrogened tyres with air/oxygen readily available at service centre. So a mix up of N2 & O2 might have occured. What will happen to my tyres in case of mix up? experts pl answer me.
Nothing buddy. Just the money you spent on N2 goes waste! [;)] As you may know, a normal compressed air contains 78% of N2 and remaining with all other gases. When it's mixed with 95+% of N2 you filled, it just becomes normal compressed air. So, if you need to have N2 again, just start from scratch!

I made two long trips on highway covering 2300 km after switching over to Nitrogen fill.

At low speed I feel the ride is little bit stiff, may be need to experiment with different pressure value. I have maintained 32 psi in all tyres - which is recommended by Toyota.

At high speed, I felt the car more planted, steady and cornering was good even at high speed. A bit of improvement to earlier drive on air filled tyre (or may be my imagination)

After 20 days, visibly there seems to no pressure drop in the tyres. I have ordered a pressure gauge online and waiting for it, which would help me to check any loss of pressure

I have filled nitrogen at the time of replacing the tyres of my car and haven't noticed any drop in tyre pressure for almost 3 months. It only dropped a couple of psi after that for front tyres only.[:)]
I did fill up nitrogen for my bike as well(removed existing air and filled it up with Ni) and the result is amazing. Tyre pressure doesn't drop as it used to before and hence the ride quality and fuel efficiency improved. Also I need not stand in queue at fuel stations waiting to fill air [:D]
So overall my experience has been positive for filling nitorgen in tyres vs air.[clap]

Just to try it again, filled N2 yesterday. Wanted to personally check on the claims on N2. Will keep the thread updated.
Well, it did no wonder this time too. All tyres loosing 2 - 3 PSI in a week which is unacceptable for N2. I have a digital tyre pressure gauge to monitor the pressure and calibrated it for about 3 months.

The whole idea about N2 having not water vapour and normal air water vapour seems to be incorrect. It all depends on the maintenance of the equipment by your neighbourhood tyre waala or the tyre waala at the petrol pump. A well maintained normal air filling machine too would not fill in water vapour. Though finding a likelyhood of one is remote. Most of the equipments used are in poor conditions. I fill in air myself after buying an electric inflator rather than depending on the tyre wallas. Only think I ensure is that the equipment is kept in a clean and dry environment before I start checking/filling the air.

Top Bottom