Chevrolet Tavera Re-launched as Neo 3

Thread Starter #1
Speculation. And if its speculation, GM India can’t stay away from it for very long.

GM post bankruptcy filing, has been in the news only for the right reasons. The company has every reason to be happy. Its Beat mini car is doing sparkling numbers. The Chevrolet Cruze is steadily climbing, surpassing expectations and according to the latest figures is the segment leader.

It plans to bring in the Beat diesel and the Aveo twins next year giving the ability to penetrate the market further. There are also a heap of Chinese cars that GM intends to sell in India at killer price tags. The Chinese vans from Wuling will be built at the company’s Talegaon facility with Fiat Multi-jet engines.

In all this noise, many of us have forgotten the Chevrolet Tavera which was not upgraded to meet BS4 regulations. There were rumors last year the GM will outsource production of Tavera to Argentum.

We have heard from our sources that the Chevrolet Tavera will be relaunched in India by the end of this year with a sub 2-liter Sonalika CRDI engine producing 100bhp. The vehicle could have a ECU sourced from Continental.

The 100bhp CRDI engine could help the Tavera take the fight to Toyota’s Innova and Mahindra’s Xylo in major metros where it isn’t sold now. GM could also give the Tavera new features and updates in the styling front. Source- indianautosblog.com

A rather interesting move by GM.Tavera is quite a reliable cab.I remember seeing a interview where a GM official said that Tavera is going strong with consistent figures of about 1.5k units a month.Despite the fact that it is not selling in BS4 cities for about 3 months now it still does those figures.With an engine upgrade,it should sell more.However GM should have phased this out &got the SAIC MUV instead.They are getting the new MUV but I think they won't phase out the Tavera.Lets see.

AMG

Suspended
Driving an MUV driven by taxi drivers and now with a added feature of a Tractor engine is definitely NOT a hot feature.

350Z

Core Team
Chevrolet Tavera was one of my most preferred MUV earlier when it didn’t had any strict competition but soon after when cars like Sumo Grande and Innova are rolled out, the times have changed. Although, I’m still glad to read the news that Tavera is making a come back! But General Motors seriously needs to concentrate on the features and styling of this car. By the way, The 2 Liter Sonalika engine is not from a tractor, but Rhino MUV.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Chevrolet Tavera was one of my most preferred MUV earlier when it didn’t had any strict competition but soon after when cars like Sumo Grande and Innova are rolled out, the times have changed. Although, I’m still glad to read the news that Tavera is making a come back! But General Motors seriously needs to concentrate on the features and styling of this car. By the way, The 2 Liter Sonalika engine is not from a tractor, but Rhino MUV.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Yeah. It gained popularity in the 1 year vacuum between the discontinuation of the qualis and launch of the Innova.

I really loved the Rhino. I remember when ,my Dad was commissioned a brand new top-end version when we were in Mysore. I had a great time, but unluckily, we were re-assigned an Indica after a month [frustration].One can say, the Rhino was destroyed thanks to its engine.

Let's hope the engine gets tuned up better for the Tavera.

EDIT: Looks like the 'tractor' image of ICML/Sonalika seems to remain!

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Yeah. It gained popularity in the 1 year vacuum between the discontinuation of the qualis and launch of the Innova.
EDIT: Looks like the 'tractor' image of ICML/Sonalika seems to remain!
Rhino is still available in the market. And I don’t think that Sonalika image will anyway affect the Tavera because it’s only the engine which will be plunked into and rest is still sold under reliable Chevrolet badge.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Well i consider the Tavera to be a good alternative for the noisy Bolero!

Is that engine good enough? I mean is it reliable? I don see any Rhino's at all on road!

I dont know how the Sonalika Rhinos engine performs. Even i prefer Tavera over Bolero and Xylo.

350Z

Core Team
Well i consider the Tavera to be a good alternative for the noisy Bolero!

Is that engine good enough? I mean is it reliable? I don see any Rhino's at all on road!
Travel up north in some hilly region like of Uttrakhand and you'll find a lot of them.

Drive Safe,
350Z

The engine of the earlier Rhino's had Isuzu roots, but i think the current one is under the guidance of MG Rover. Tavera's engine is also has an Isuzu unit. So, i think GM might have made a deal with ICML.
Rhino's engine should be good but its performance is a bit on a low side and their 0-100kph time is optimistic. I read somewhere that its fuel efficient. But im talking about the MDi engine. I never knew Rhino had an CRDi engine. But even with CRDi, i think it would be not that refined like Xylo and likes. And the engine capacity is low to my liking, i wish it was around 2500cc.

yes i was also thinking how GM suddenly tie with Sonalika but now crazy cat cleared it.. and i agree shud been 2500cc but BHP is more than old tavera!!

Top Bottom