Buying Scorpio 2.6 Dx used car. Need inputs!

Thread Starter #1
Its been 2 months since I sold my Ford Fusion. Been trying to get my new car since. After extensive research I zeroed on Tata Indigo Manza for its VFM quotient. But bank turned down my loan request. It was heart breaking.

But anyways I came across this used Scorpio 2.6 dx yesterday. Did a test drive the car is very well maintained. Its May 2004 model 8 seater with DVD music system. The car got brand new Apollo AT Tyres and he is the 3rd owner. The ODO shows 92,000 KMs. The wind shield got a slight crack it seems like stone hit.

What I like to know is will this car run for another 1 lac KMs? What would be the engine life and what kinda of expenses I may incur apart from oil change and 6 months service intervals. Mostly it will be driven self and outings once or twice a month. Any other points I have to keep in mind? Please help me out in buying this car!

Thank you all!
Raghu

350Z

Core Team
Our member Raj’s Scorpio has done more than 1.8 Lakh Kilometers on odometer, which is still serving him quite well; this should be self explanatory about Scorpio's reliability. :smile: (Link: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...corpio-2-6-non-crde-crossed-1-8-lakh-kms.html) However, when it comes to buying a used car, I'd advice to avoid one which has clocked so much mileage and we’re unsure how it’s previous owner would have handled it.

Secondly, How much is the asking price? Paying any more than Rs.4 Lakhs would be waste considering the car to be in top condition, like you described. All the best!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3
Our member Raj’s Scorpio has done more than 1.8 Lakh Kilometers on odometer, which is still serving him quite well; this should be self explanatory about Scorpio's reliability. :smile: (Link: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...corpio-2-6-non-crde-crossed-1-8-lakh-kms.html) However, when it comes to buying a used car, I'd advice to avoid one which has clocked so much mileage and we’re unsure how it’s previous owner would have handled it.

Secondly, How much is the asking price? Paying any more than Rs.4 Lakhs would be waste considering the car to be in top condition, like you described. All the best!

Drive Safe,
350Z
I would not have considered the car unless its in excellent condition. So no problems with that. Re paying above 4 lacs I believe it depends on how a car is maintained. Any other inputs?

350Z

Core Team
My only other advice would be that you should look out for more, There are a ton of Scorpios in used car market today, that too might be in much better condition. So search as much as you can before concluding. Also, avoid going for any modified car, may the modication be small or big and no need to pay extra for after market accessories.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I completely agree with 350Z. Anything above 4lacs is an expensive deal. That Scorpio has already clocked 92000km and is about 6yrs old. If you decide to go for this car, then i would strongly suggest you to get it checked at a Mahindra service centre. Also check the service records.

Be very much carefull in getting a scorpio . esp the 2.6

We had one 2.6 turbo non crde model . it was run about 140000 when we got it.

My uncle, who bought it left it at A S S inspite of me telling the bad works about them. HIs simple words , make the car as new- change what ever is required , car should not make trouble in way.

He paid some 1.2L for his word

Car was bought for 2.90L only.
Clutch plate were original - means they lasted for 1.4K kms.

Raj has a 2.6 non crde too. he is quite happy with it.

As you say its may 04 model it must be non crde one ! stay out of it.

a used scorpio of this age & ecxellent condition will normally sell for around 3.7 to 3.9 lakhs. so if you want to buy this car, you can bargain a bit.

but there are a few points to consider:
1) this is the first generation non-CRDe scorpio. scorpio has seen two facelifts & also two engine changes after this model. so this is quite an old model.
2) My old scorpio has not really given me any big issue so far. the only problem i had was with the timing gear, and that happened because of my own negligence.
3) if you can stretch your budget by 1L, then you will get a 2006 model CRDe scorpio which i think will be much better to own.

regarding the engine issue you talked about, the engine has been made to run atleast 3L kms without any maintainence or overhaul. so if you do all the scheduled services on time, the engine wont give you any trouble. the scorpio also does not have any electrical issues. things that you may need to change are the normal wear & tear parts like clutch & brakes.

so, the summary is, i would recommend you a CRDe scorpio even if that means stretching the budget a little. else, you can go for this scorpio but ONLY IF it is in excellent condition as you mentioned.

350Z

Core Team
If I were in your place, then I would have looked around for more used Scorpios in market, which has clocked less and amount of Rs.4.5 Lakhs for this one doesn't looks any dearer to me, in which ever condition the car is. You should try to bargain. Remember, This is a USED car market where everything goes, you need to be a lot more careful. On the similar notes, I'd like to share a story in brief, We were in a hunt for a used sedan under Rs.4 - 5 Lakhs, Found an ol' Mitsubishi Cedia (Yeah, That rare car) that too from reputed Mahindra First Choice dealer, which was said to be about a couple of years old and looked awesome in pics, but when I personally went to thoroughly inspect it, I simply returned back, Why? The car had a tampered odo, condition under the boot was terrible, front end was a repair job after accident, moreover, tires were an year old than the claimed year of manufacture and a lot more similar points which pulled us back. Anyways, Back to your Scorpio topic - Since you are buying directly from the owner, chances of such happenings are lesser but you still need to do a thorough inspection of everything, be it car or it's document's history.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey Raghu first of all what is your budget? If its nothing more than 4Lakhs then try to bargain on this deal and reduce the price further. You can also cite the broken windshield to reduce it![;)] But also check the insurance papers for any accidents and also check the service report and was it done at an authorized service station at the recommended time intervals. You have mentioned new tyres so one worry out of the way. Also check for any rusting on the roof , under the body , door gaps etc in short check the car overall for any rusting. As you are dealing directly with the owner the chances of a tampered ODO seems to be less.

But a wiser choice will be spending a Lakh more and getting a 2006/2007 model. Remember always the money you save on a cheaper and older car can be lost in maintenance!

Raghu there are many Mahindra first choice in Bangalore.
So don't stuck on to a single dealer, go to other franchisee as well.
I have a dealer near my home.
I have even seen many scorpio's with them, Why don't you pay a visit to all,
instead of zeroing on a single one.
So you will get a better idea of the current price in the market of used cars.
My heart is saying you can look for a Turbo 2.6 Crde.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Thank you all for your inputs! I am taking my Mechanic tomorrow to check the car. If he says all in perfect condition I will negotiate price and pickup car.

Thank you all for your inputs! I am taking my Mechanic tomorrow to check the car. If he says all in perfect condition I will negotiate price and pickup car.
Yeah that would be a better idea.
And do take a friend of your's.
So that even he can inspect along with you.[:)]

Thread Starter #14
Ok. Went with the Engineer. He verified and said can pay max 4.20 lacs. We negotiated to 4.15 lacs. I think that was good deal. The engineer who came with me for verification used to work for India Garage. That gave me more confidence for future service and maintaining the car.

Thank you all again! You rock!!

Top Bottom