Battle of the Entry Level UVs: Sumo Gold vs Bolero

Which UV is better buy at the moment

• Sumo Gold

Votes: 61 37.2%
  • Bolero

Votes: 103 62.8%

• Total voters
I completely agree with you. Infact I had not driven both the cars before so I had voted in the poll for bolero since it looks better and butch. The day I drove both ,I became fan of the sumo its just more fun to drive car relatively compared to bolero imho.
I agree. Having driven both the Bolero SLE and the Sumo Gold GX, the Sumo has more space, better ergonomics and a hugely superior ride quality than the Bolero. The Sumo is my primary vehicle both in the city & on the highways and at 10,500+ kms in 4 months, I think this truck is a great value for money. My ownership log is here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...14406-tata-sumo-gold-gx-ownership-review.html

One thing we must understand is - both these cars are meant for the rural market. In that market, their priorities are ruggedness, ease of maintenance and reliability. They dont care about ergonomics or leg room.

While I am scouting for used Sumos and Boleros, my personal preference is a Sumo because it has more space. But more than anything else, I am preferring a Sumo over a Bolero because it is available for cheaper in the used car market when compared to a Bolero.

For example, the asking price of say a Sumo which is a 2008 model and has done 65-75k is something like 3-3.25 Lacs. A Bolero of a similar condition asks for 4.5-5 Lacs. Thats a cool 1.5 Lacs more and trust me, there are buyers out there who are willing to pay and premium and still buy an older Bolero over a Sumo. Dealers wont even negotiate much on the Bolero, again because there is a huge market for used Boleros.

Now, there is a reason to this -

1) I am looking for a rugged vehicle to be used in construction sites. People who have worked in those conditions for many years and have operated vehicles there suggested me that I should look only at the Bolero. Sumos are reliable but do tend to develop mechanical issues more than the Bolero. They say "A Bolero (especially the DI) is a fill it and forget it vehicle". When I say ruggedness, please note I am not talking about usage on rough roads. This is usage on no roads and very dusty and harsh conditions.

2) They say that even if I pay a premium for the Bolero now, it will eventually be more economical as the Bolero gives better FE, has cheaper spares, is easily serviceable, is comparatively more reliable and also has better resale value.

That said, I will still be buying a Sumo for the site as my budget is low and in that budget, if I look for a Bolero, I will have to buy a 2005-2006 model which has done about 1.5 Lac kms! On the contrary, in the same price, I will get a 2008-2009 Sumo which has done about 60k-80k.

I recently wanted to buy a Sumo Grande but a cousin who has a workshop in Nashik asked me to stay away from it saying that it has engine and suspension issues. He asked me to prefer a Bolero DI, Bolero m2Dicr, Sumo Gold or Sumo Victa DI in that order.

Last edited:
Dealer called me today saying there is a M&M Bolero event this coming Sunday from point xyz to some other point withing Bangalore for Bolero owners. Fuel sponsored by dealer. When I asked about what the aim/purpose of the event is, she was not very clear, was saying it is for networking/info sharing between Bolero owners & some other free checks. anyone know more about these M&M events?

Yesterday i came in a newly purchased Sumo Gold as my cab, sat in the last seat, which was very uncomfortable and the most disappointing aspect is the fumes which accumulates at the back causing people in a discomfort zone, it is very harmful for people who has dust allergy, i am unfortunately a victim of dust allergy, even though the trip was only for 45 minutes, i faced a hard time sitting there. Don't know the reason why Tata still doesn't recognize the issue. The front facing seats are anyday better than the jump seats.

Is it the same in the Bolero too?

Yesterday i came in a newly purchased Sumo Gold as my cab, sat in the last seat, which was very uncomfortable and the most disappointing aspect is the fumes which accumulates at the back causing people in a discomfort zone, it is very harmful for people who has dust allergy, i am unfortunately a victim of dust allergy, even though the trip was only for 45 minutes, i faced a hard time sitting there. Don't know the reason why Tata still doesn't recognize the issue. The front facing seats are anyday better than the jump seats.

Is it the same in the Bolero too?
What fumes? Hopefully the exhaust fumes are not seeping into the cabin? 32000 kilometers in under one year travelling plenty of times in the backseat with and without tons of luggage and I have never faced this issue and by luggage I also mean cement and sandbags plus plenty of construction material

in the bolero there is a small air outlet on the sides that do get lots of fine dust into the cabin in very dusty environment as i had in ladakh but not fumes. i sealed it with duct tapes and presto it was gone.

Quick query, for M&M vehicles, are there any AMC packages similar to what TM offers like Gold/Silver AMC packages. Extended warranty is fine but AMC covers all consumables also & labour etc in servicing I believe which is a really good deal IMHO. So while I might go for extended warranty for my vehicle very soon I was wondering if M&M also offers the AMC packages? If anybody knows please share. Thanks.

Quick query, for M&M vehicles, are there any AMC packages similar to what TM offers like Gold/Silver AMC packages. Extended warranty is fine but AMC covers all consumables also & labour etc in servicing I believe which is a really good deal IMHO. So while I might go for extended warranty for my vehicle very soon I was wondering if M&M also offers the AMC packages? If anybody knows please share. Thanks.
There are no such plans as AMC in Mahindra, and there is no real purpose of going into extended warranty too, all you need is to service your car regularly within the given schedule.

Today while watching news on one of the hindi news channels I saw Bolero Advertisement in every commercial brake. I simply wondered why Mahindra is spending so much on its advertisement. Few questions arised in my mind
a) Are the bolero sales figure really going down and they so much publicity to get them back again.
b) Is the new bolero ( U 301 ) on the way to its launch and they want to clear there old stock ( In the advertisement I also saw that they are now giving extended warranty for 2 years and unlimited kms this offer made me think in that way)

so here is my new rural baby and its spec - pretty basic, barebone and for the purpose!

IMG_20141005_142731.jpg

ENGINE
Model
Type
Cubic Capacity
Max Engine Output
Max Torque

4 cylinder, 4 Stroke DI Engine
2523 cc
46.3 Kw @ 3200 rpm (63 HP)
195 Nm @ 1500 - 1800 rpm

CLUTCH
Single Plate Dry Clutch

GEARBOX
5 Forward, 1 Reverse

STEERING
Manual/Power Steering (Optional)

SUSPENSION
Front & Rear - Rigid Leaf Spring
Anti Roll Bar - Provided at Front

BRAKES
Front - Disc
Rear - Drum

WHEELS & TYRES
Rim Size
Tyre Size

5.5J X 15 OR 6J X 15 (38.1 cm)
7.00 R15 OR P235/75 R15 (38.1 cm)

FUEL TANK CAPACITY
57 litres

DIMENSION
Wheel Base (mm)
Overall length (mm)
Overall width (mm)
Overall height (mm)
Cargo Box Dimensions (L X W X H) (mm)

3264 / 3014
Flat Bed = 5219
1865 / 1810
Flat Bed = 2540 X 1700 X 650

WEIGHT
Max GVW (Kg)
Payload (Kg)

2960 / 2750
Flat Bed = 1250

SEATING CAPACITY
1 + 1

WARRANTY
3 years unlimited kms*

Attachments

Last edited:
Looks good. Whats the price breakup of this workhorse? I believe they sell a double cabin 4 seater mini pickup called Bolero Camper Gold as well.
I got it for just under 6 lakhs on road, this is the power steering version.
Yes they have the camper version which is a dual cab, but I wanted something purely for hauling goods and it had to be super vfm, rugged, low maintenance and ultra reliable. This has the highest load hauling capability in the segment I believe.

If we were looking for a dual cab I would have considered the xenon cc as well.

This is one vehicle we bought without even road testing or going to the showroom.[lol]

Last edited:

Top Bottom