2007 Honda City ZX vTec vs Used Diesel Sedan: Bought Linea MJD

Status
Not open for further replies.
After LPG vaporiser cleaning and tuning I'm getting FE of 14.7kmpl in LPG. (Details here

This left a big smile on face and another big question mark in mind, should I sell her now???
Well in this case keep checking the FE figures regularly, then you would get a clear picture to keep or to sell.

Anyways, hunt for diesel sedan is on the way. Got an offer from Kwality cars for 2007 Magnum. Yet to see the car.
Update us when you check the car.

Thread Starter #17
Guys, I have a good offer for 2004 Octavia Elegance (Will disclose the price if the deal is OK)
White color, second Owner with 86k on odo (he is friend of friend and using the car from 2006 when the odo was 30k) and till date no mechanical parts were replaced, still running with stock mechanicals. Overall condition of the car is good. Yet to test drive her. If I have to purchase this particular car I need not sell my City, I can manage by selling M800 + backup savings + 12 months loan.

With the increasing number of Octys in our forum, it's tempting me to get one. But I am well aware about the keep up cost (especially the spares) and A.S.S. Also the odo has reached 86k mark where she needs a lot of COSTLY spares to be replaced. Could someone comment on list of items to be replaced at this mileage?

second Owner with 86k on odo (he is friend of friend and using the car from 2006 when the odo was 30k) and till date no mechanical parts were replaced, still running with stock mechanicals.
[roll]

Clutch set will easily set you back by more than 36000-40,000 (i think a friend of mine paid this including labour),
Just think 1 lakh easy cos of parts change & other service parts including tires.

Thread Starter #19
[roll]Just think 1 lakh easy cos of parts change & other service parts including tires.
I guessed. Any way thanks dude. I hope there will be a list of parts to be replaced at this age, Clutch, timing belt, etc and I hope there are some rattle noise to be fixed. Tyres are in OK condition and they will run for atleast another 10~12k km without any issues.

@Boss:
If your City is giving you good mileage on LPG then let it be with you.I can bet whatever you will buy,none of them can keep you as happy as the City can.
There is a Hindi idiom "DOOR KE DHOL SUHANE HOTE HAIN(A thing far from us looks nice)".

About Octy thing:-
I'd say No No and just No.This car is having spares more costly than even my Laura.Instead have a look at the 2007 Optra Magnum.
About maintenance of Skoda cars:Mine has already done 63k kms in 15 months and is running good and strong(right now also its about 400 kms away from me with my father),there are no niggles till now.But for Octavia the availability of some spares may get painful too.
Rest no doubt Octy is a good,comfortable and reliable car.

Thread Starter #21
Thank you very much for the replies dear.

If your City is giving you good mileage on LPG then let it be with you.I can bet whatever you will buy,none of them can keep you as happy as the City can.
Even I have the same thought.

I'd say No No and just No.This car is having spares more costly than even my Laura.Instead have a look at the 2007 Optra Magnum.
Yes, I could understand this part. But as mentioned earlier I'm looking to sell my M800 and get a sedan (for my parents) To buy this particular car I need not sell out the city, instead I can manage by selling M800 + cash in hand + little loan (may be or may not be) Or else I should go with Accent / Ikon for 1.5 lakhs.

Buddy why don't you go on for a hatch like Swift VDi or Ritz VDi?
Else for a good sedan you will have to slightly increase your upper limit.

Oh yes,I remember..how about a used SUV?
You can get a good Safari for 4.5-5 lacs.Or a Scorpy for 5-5.5 lacs..don't even think of an Innova..

Thread Starter #23
Buddy why don't you go on for a hatch like Swift VDi or Ritz VDi?
To be frank, status symbol matters. I cannot step down from City. I fully agree these hatches are practical for city and highway driving too. But in this stage I cannot afford my City + Swift / Ritz (even the used ones)

Oh yes,I remember..how about a used SUV?
You can get a good Safari for 4.5-5 lacs.Or a Scorpy for 5-5.5 lacs.
Again SUV cannot replace my city (in terms of my driving requirements) also I cannot afford a SUV now without selling my City.

Anyway thank you very much for your valuable suggestions. Really helpful.

Actually I meant "By selling the City off"..but since you don't want to sell her off that even greater.
Then your pre-mentioned plan is really great.

@Boss:
There is a Hindi idiom "DOOR KE DHOL SUHANE HOTE HAIN(A thing far from us looks nice)".

About maintenance of Skoda cars:Mine has already done 63k kms in 15 months and is running good and strong(right now also its about 400 kms away from me with my father),there are no niggles till now.But for Octavia the availability of some spares may get painful too.
Rest no doubt Octy is a good,comfortable and reliable car.

This was a concern before i went for the Octavia , but if you get a well maintained car, wont be a big problem. Yes, spare parts are costlier when compared to other cars, but not as insane as people criticize (Skoda ASS is a completely different story). If a spare part is costly, then it should have a better life and quality. And availability of parts wont be a problem too, VAG cars share most of the parts. In thw worst case, check on Ebay, you have almost everything what a Octavia has, and a 1.9 TDI ALH engine has. And its cheaper too. But you sacrifice the life of the part. OEM timing belt can be good enough for 75k kms, while cheaper Ebay parts can withstand only till 50k kms. It depends. And After Market clutch plates are also available. (im going to give it a try after my clutch plate dies[glasses]) .

Regards,
Jeno.

Thread Starter #26
^^^
Thanks for the comments dude.

Yesterday I had a short TD on this particular octy, here are my observations.
- Pickup and performance is poor. Taking its own sweet time to reach 100kmph
- Braking is not upto the mark. Even I feel the pedal is bit hard (at least compared to my City)
- Clutch is hard again
- Steering is 'OK' for city driving and gives more confidence for 100+kmph speeds but I feel it has got more free play (Octy owners, please comment here) I could feel each and every pothole on the steering wheel at slow speeds
- Suspension needs a overhaul (atleast bush replacement)
- Lot (read loooooot) of rattle noise from door
- 3 tyres can survive for another 10k km, 1 + 1 spare wheel is almost bald and need immediate replacement
- Duplilcate key not available
- No rust, no dent in body. Only 1 scratch (deep & clearly visible) in front bumper LH side
- I couldn't find anything faulty with electricals

Price quoted is 3.5L. I started my offer from 2.5L and finally the seller is not ready to give her for anything less than 3.2L

I feel to get her back in shape I should spend something close to 1L INR (clutch + engine work + brake + suspension + steering + tyre 2 nos) What is the best price for this car?

Mr.Boss, I am sure you haven't driven the Magnums you had pointed in the opening post, cos if you would have, the thread title would have been "Purchased a rocket yesterday, trying to tame it" rather than what is is now. Believe me buddy, Magnums are the least failure prone machines from Chevy stable. Engine is rock solid and go around 2-3 lac kms between overhauls. Awesome crude power matched with surprisingly decent FE is what is magnum is all about. Icing on the cake is lower resale compared to other diesels so you can find a lesser used newer model for less. Pain point is finding a clean example. Just drive a magnum first and then shortlist other cars. [evil]

freakdude.

Well,Mr.Boss.No doubt the Magnum has no match.I think I have mentioned it somewhere else too.
Build is not at all as good as you would expect from an American car.Nor interiors are anywhere as plush or sporty as of your City.Handling is also not at all anywhere close to City but then its not bad too.Its 'acceptable' but definitely more than 'just' acceptable.Remember,its a nose heavy 2000cc diesel engined car not a light nose 1.5 v-tec like City.

Now you sit on the driver's seat and space,paddle placing and driving position everything is fine and there is nothing to complain about.
Now start the car,and the NVH levels are 'okay'.Slot into first gear(it will never give you such positive slotting action as in City but seems quite rubbery)and slowly press the gas and after slight hesitation 'BOOOOOOOOOMMMMM',damn,its a rocket in the mid range,simply nothing comes close.Keep shifting on 3500 rpm and this car will touch 150 kph in no time.In fact the in-gear acceleration is better than even the Cruze too.And with the added sip of great FE.This beast has no match.It has got fierce power.

Thread Starter #30
^^^
Man, you are tempting me like anything. Thank you so much for each of your comments. I hope I'll get a decent specimen soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom