Which SUV: BMW X1 vs Audi Q3 vs Mercedes-Benz GLA

kkn13

Suspended
Or used Q3 and a used Fortuner at the same time :stupid: :lol!:
Fortuner for long trips and reliability
Q3 for badge value cars to show up at weddings etc and for sheer driving pleasure for city traffic thanks to its light steering

Jokes apart, I suggest waiting till May
Im also doing the same thing but mostly we are going with Tucson or Endeavour but X1 is a very compelling package if not for the reverse camera and front parking sensors thing, that put my dad off
He also rejected the GLA, GLC, X3 because of lack of spare tyre and no wheel well to store it so boot space is severly compromised

Knowing VAG, Kodiaq and Tiguan will not skimp on features , the way Audi does despite being VAG
Jeep Compass might be a VFM package too but headroom is apparently less at the rear though MJD engines are very reliable and stress free, best to TD and see before any conclusions

This segment is the hottest right now
Even Tata is bringing Q501 with 2.0 MJD and Discovery Sport platform
Mahindra is bringing XUV700 based on the Rexton 2017 platform , engine in last gen was a Mercedes ML class engine
^^ But these two will come in mid 2018

Last edited:
Thread Starter #17
@drniladrisaha
Why don't you wait for the VW tiguan or Skoda Kodiaq to get launched.? Maybe the car you are waiting for is not yet even launched.
Hi Vipul
Thanks as you noticed my concern.
In 1st week of August 2017 my Skoda Rapid's registration will expire .
Tyres needs to be changed .
little problem in gearshift (2nd).
takes little longer to start .
THESE ARE NOT ANY SERIOUS ISSUE ........
Then I thought to upgrade it to Skoda OCTAVIA ... Lots of space ... good to drive ...
everything .... but the ground clearance is only 155 mm .
The road I have to use once weekly { 156 km one way } is BAD for at least 20 - 22 km ( in Diff stretches ) . Lots of potholes , broken roads etc . Though other portion is good .
Can I go for Sedan like Octavia .
It will mainly be a chauffeur driven car.
Expecting your early reply .
You can inbox me your phone number and time when I can call.
Thanks

Or used Q3 and a used Fortuner at the same time :stupid: :lol!:
Fortuner for long trips and reliability
Q3 for badge value cars to show up at weddings etc and for sheer driving pleasure for city traffic thanks to its light steering

Jokes apart, I suggest waiting till May
Im also doing the same thing but mostly we are going with Tucson or Endeavour but X1 is a very compelling package if not for the reverse camera and front parking sensors thing, that put my dad off
He also rejected the GLA, GLC, X3 because of lack of spare tyre and no wheel well to store it so boot space is severly compromised

Knowing VAG, Kodiaq and Tiguan will not skimp on features , the way Audi does despite being VAG

Jeep Compass might be a VFM package too but headroom is apparently less at the rear though MJD engines are very reliable and stress free, best to TD and see before any conclusions

This segment is the hottest right now
Even Tata is bringing Q501 with 2.0 MJD and Discovery Sport platform
Mahindra is bringing XUV700 based on the Rexton 2017 platform , engine in last gen was a Mercedes ML class engine
^^ But these two will come in mid 2018

What is VAG and MJD ?

kkn13

Suspended
Hi Vipul
Thanks as you noticed my concern.
In 1st week of August 2017 my Skoda Rapid's registration will expire .
Tyres needs to be changed .
little problem in gearshift (2nd).
takes little longer to start .
THESE ARE NOT ANY SERIOUS ISSUE ........
Then I thought to upgrade it to Skoda OCTAVIA ... Lots of space ... good to drive ...
everything .... but the ground clearance is only 155 mm .
The road I have to use once weekly { 156 km one way } is BAD for at least 20 - 22 km ( in Diff stretches ) . Lots of potholes , broken roads etc . Though other portion is good .
Can I go for Sedan like Octavia .
It will mainly be a chauffeur driven car.
Expecting your early reply .
You can inbox me your phone number and time when I can call.
Thanks
Octavia is a very vfm package
I find it a better car than Audi A4 too frankly
Same engine and chassis etc
Id wait for Skoda Kodiaq and VW Tiguan since they all fit your budget and are anyways based on the same platform with the same engine - 2.0 TDI
That way you wont regret any rushed purchase in case you like the Tiguan and Kodiaq
Though beware of DSG Automatic transmission used in VAG cars, its not meant for bumper to bumper traffic

What is VAG and MJD ?
VAG- Volkswagen Auto Group ie VW, Skoda, Audi etc
MJD - Fiat Multijet Diesel engine

Thread Starter #19
Octavia is a very vfm package
I find it a better car than Audi A4 too frankly
Same engine and chassis etc
Id wait for Skoda Kodiaq and VW Tiguan since they all fit your budget and are anyways based on the same platform with the same engine - 2.0 TDI
That way you wont regret any rushed purchase in case you like the Tiguan and Kodiaq
Though beware of DSG Automatic transmission used in VAG cars, its not meant for bumper to bumper traffic

VAG- Volkswagen Auto Group ie VW, Skoda, Audi etc
MJD - Fiat Multijet Diesel engine
Octavia suits me in all aspect except the road clearance.
And 7 seater SUV is big for me.

Maybe a basic question, if not DSG, which automatic transmission would be good for bumper to bumper traffic? How is the Innova Crysta or Fortuner automatic transmission?

Thanks.

kkn13

Suspended
Maybe a basic question, if not DSG, which automatic transmission would be good for bumper to bumper traffic? How is the Innova Crysta or Fortuner automatic transmission?

Thanks.
Ill list the various ATs in general terms-

DSG/DCT - NOT suitable for Indian bumper to bumper conditions due to higher wear and tear.

CVT - Excellent balanced transmission but suffers from rubber band effect which some people hate(Personally I dont feel its disturbing) (Rubber band effect- when you floor the accelerator and throttle input is very pulled)
Example- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC3l-LgS3Ew

AMT - Not an actual AT in the true sense, lacks hill hold etc like other ATs and is different to drive, not performance oriented at all and it shows. Only good for A to B "beater/daily" cars for traffic.

Torque Converter - Best balance of everything and is the ideal transmission but lacks performance like DSG/DCT and FE of CVT and AMT. But this is my personal pick of the bunch since it allows for everything.
Next best transmission is CVT after TC.

kkn13

Suspended
@ OP If you havent already bought a car yet, VW Tiguan just launched (only drawback is 140BHP but rest is good. Comfortline trim lacks reverse camera etc though)

Also X1 now has reverse camera as standard and is getting discounts now from some dealers making it a solid contender

Tucson AWD is also coming very soon with sunroof

Jeep Compass too but no diesel AT

Skoda Kodiaq is apparently gonna be for 45-50L (not worth it imho), Octavia etc are better buys

Last edited:

Top Bottom