Upgrading From Maruti Celerio VXI AMT To New Automatic Car

Thread Starter #1
Having exchanged my Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz (Manual & Petrol) for the current car, Maruti Suzuki Celerio VXI AMT around 2 years back, the convenience of an AMT is really good. The steering feel and highway manners of the Celerio is better and Go-kart like and I really enjoy driving it. Grand i10 just didn't had any of the fun.
Why upgrade then?
Well, Celerio VXI is underequipped, the Interior plastic quality, fit and finish is just cheap to say the least.
The ride quality is stiff, rear is bouncy. My Parents do complain about the bounciness on rough roads. Or maybe my driving is a bit harsh, I don't know.
The ground clearance of 165mm although sufficient mostly, the front rubber flap below the front bumper (Already replaced the Rubber flap once as it got damaged, the present flap has also took a hit again) do scrape on our super tall speed breakers or sharp craters, thanks to our pathetic roads out here.
I do have to drive a total of around 100 kms a day, sometimes even on Sundays. So I would surely prefer a car with a Automatic Transmission
  • Your Budget: Rs.7.5 - 8.5 Lakh (Might increase)
  • New or Used: New Car
  • Your Location: Dibrugarh/Tinsukia, Assam, India
  • Top Priorities: Safety, Automatic transmission, Low Maintenance, Comfort, Well Equipped (Rear Wiper and Defogger is a must have cause of the weather out here) and Good Ground Clearance.
  • Monthly Running: 2000-3000 kms as per current conditions
  • Fuel Type: Any (very confused regarding this because of the reduced price gap between Petrol and Diesel, also the cost of a Diesel automatic is high)
  • Purpose Type: Regular Use
  • Seating Capacity: 5
  • Segment Type: Hatchback (No other option with my budget)

Last edited:
Since your already have had long run with hatchbacks would suggest increase budget and get CSUV. First I would suggest Nexon Diesel AMT XZA. Reasons being - Safest mass market car in India (5* safety) plus a strong body shell which is very confidence inspiring, Superb 210mm GC, decent ride quality, best in class audio quality, nice interior and dashboard, spacious, kind of proven product since many Nexons are on road, VFM, well-equipped. Problems I see is price would be substantially above your budget, TASS availability and quality in your area, very comfortable for 4 adults but not so much so for the 5th one due to contoured seat. Another suggestion would be Brezza Diesel AMT. Its VFM, has decent build quality for a Maruti Suzuki, SUVish shape, good GC, MASS, good FE. Only issues here I see is bit underpowered engine and poor interior quality. Petrol automatics won't be too frugal if your running is high.

Thread Starter #3
Since your already have had long run with hatchbacks would suggest increase budget and get CSUV. First I would suggest Nexon Diesel AMT XZA. Reasons being - Safest mass market car in India (5* safety) plus a strong body shell which is very confidence inspiring, Superb 210mm GC, decent ride quality, best in class audio quality, nice interior and dashboard, spacious, kind of proven product since many Nexons are on road, VFM, well-equipped. Problems I see is price would be substantially above your budget, TASS availability and quality in your area, very comfortable for 4 adults but not so much so for the 5th one due to contoured seat. Another suggestion would be Brezza Diesel AMT. Its VFM, has decent build quality for a Maruti Suzuki, SUVish shape, good GC, MASS, good FE. Only issues here I see is bit underpowered engine and poor interior quality. Petrol automatics won't be too frugal if your running is high.
I would love to own a Tata Nexon XZA Diesel. If we can workout the down-payment and EMI to suit the budget, Nexon XZA Diesel would be the top choice.
Orelse have to settle for another Hatchback again

Considering your budget, I would recommend Tata Nexon (Petrol) XMA for you., if you are fine with Petrol. You can see Vinodji's ownership thread for Nexon XMA as reference, though it is for diesel. Here is the link - My “Fanta-Bulous” Etna Orange Tata Nexon XMA (D)

You can also go for Tigor XZA if you are fine with compact sedan. (AMT option available in Petrol only). This is also a nice VFM choice. Since you were already fine with celerio AMT, I think the AMTs on Tata are better than that, if you go by the overall user experience over internet. You can see my ownership thread about Tigor XZA - Tata Tigor XZA (P): My New Grey Beauty. And this one is from Nairji - The Tiger – My Tata Tigor XZA

The overall ride quality is really good in both of these cars, especially Nexon would fare really well on bumpy roads. As Abhishek has pointed out, check the TASS availability and service quality in your area. You can also check grand i10 automatic top-end varient. Also, if you can push your budget more, you can go for i20 CVT too for more smoother auto transmission experience.

Last edited:
Having exchanged my Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz (Manual & Petrol) for the current car, Maruti Suzuki Celerio VXI AMT around 2 years back, the convenience of an AMT is really good. The steering feel and highway manners of the Celerio is better and Go-kart like and I really enjoy driving it. Grand i10 just didn't had any of the fun.
Why upgrade then?
Well, Celerio VXI is underequipped, the Interior plastic quality, fit and finish is just cheap to say the least.
The ride quality is stiff, rear is bouncy. My Parents do complain about the bounciness on rough roads. Or maybe my driving is a bit harsh, I don't know.
The ground clearance of 165mm although sufficient mostly, the front rubber flap below the front bumper (Already replaced the Rubber flap once as it got damaged, the present flap has also took a hit again) do scrape on our super tall speed breakers or sharp craters, thanks to our pathetic roads out here.
I do have to drive a total of around 100 kms a day, sometimes even on Sundays. So I would surely prefer a car with a Automatic Transmission
  • Your Budget: Rs.7.5 - 8.5 Lakh (Might increase)
  • New or Used: New Car
  • Your Location: Dibrugarh/Tinsukia, Assam, India
  • Top Priorities: Safety, Automatic transmission, Low Maintenance, Comfort, Well Equipped (Rear Wiper and Defogger is a must have cause of the weather out here) and Good Ground Clearance.
  • Monthly Running: 2000-3000 kms as per current conditions
  • Fuel Type: Any (very confused regarding this because of the reduced price gap between Petrol and Diesel, also the cost of a Diesel automatic is high)
  • Purpose Type: Regular Use
  • Seating Capacity: 5
  • Segment Type: Hatchback (No other option with my budget)
If you have crossed Nexon out of the list,
then these are the other good options on the higher side of your budget,
Suzuki Dzire ZXI
Suzuki Dzire VDI
Honda Amaze V Petrol
Honda Amaze S Diesel
Hyundai i20 Sports

You can TD a Baleno for the Rear comfort before finalising your future car.
All the Best

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I think you prefer 'hatchback' and if that is the preferance then you definitely give a try on Nexon, a 5 star rating beauty with 210mm GC. Oterwise if you can consider CS, then also have look into the Tigor XZA (since you have been using Celerio AMT)

Also, you can look into - Maruti Suzuki Swift AMT, Honda Amaze (sedan) etc. Suggest test drive a few cars and then shortlist/select which one you like more !

Thread Starter #7
Thanks of the Replies.
Well, since there is no urgency for upgrading for a new car, I guess, If I could spare some time, I would test drive and check the shortlisted cars thoroughly.
If car loan and budget permits, I would surely prefer a Compact SUV over a Compact Sedan or a Hatchback.
Having driven a Celerio AMT for more than 2 years, AMT is ok for me. As per as CVT is concerned, the Rubberband Effect just leaves me annoyed. The roads I drive are undivided highways and needs quite overtaking frequently, the last CVT car I test drove (Nissan Micra) left a very bad taste of a CVT experience, smoothness is good but I found it boring.
Ground Clearance plays a very important role here and so the Suzuki Swift is ruled out, although I love the Swift.
Not to keen on buying a Hyundai as the Highway manners are not quite to my likely. When I say, Highway, I mean bumpy, crater filled, undulated, undivided highways

How about the Suzuki Ignis? Is it worth buying, If my budget stays at around 8 lakhs?

If budget increases, the fight will shift between Vitara Brezza ZDI AMT or Nexon XMA/XZA.

This time around, I don't want to hurry and end up buying a certain car. Rather I would do some more test drives, will check for handling, ride comfort and overall features

Last edited:
@ticken good choice of your shortlisted car's.
I would suggest to take your family along for the TD's, for them to get the feel of what your next car be like.
If your location is hilly, the sluggish Celerio will be what you get in the breeza, choose wisely, as you will be touching nearly a million rupees this time around.
Thanks Hemant @bbarve for including my Nexon thread.
Regards
Vinod

Top Bottom