Tata Storme vs Mahindra XUV5OO - Which One To Choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Storm Vs XUV 500 - which one to choose

I

@ tornado

See lets be fair here xuv has some decent equipment levels which are life saving too like ESP , 6 airbags maybe iron rock can highlight a few more . And this things can't be fitted at any outside shop . And this makes it a vfm option in the market , the storme is less expensive then xuv but misses on this critical life saving features .
I hope that you referring to Capital' T 'ornado.
I just wanted to know which electronic gadgets are deal breaker s?
.And when 6 Air bags are compared with 2 airbags , the car with 6 air bags emerges out as a clear winner if it is not disturbing the budget too much.

I hope that you referring to Capital' T 'ornado.
I just wanted to know which electronic gadgets are deal breaker s?
.And when 6 Air bags are compared with 2 airbags , the car with 6 air bags emerges out as a clear winner if it is not disturbing the budget too much.
Tornado ( Pune ) deal breakers are ESP , 6 airbags but then they come in top model of xuv which is expensive then storme vx .

Now IMHO all other features are the ones which add a feel good factor nothing else ( I am not against it ) . But remember more complex electronics more headache after the warranty finishes if something goes kaput .
And I also belive that storme top model is with less feel good features . IMO storme lx is a very sensible buy which is 11.50 lakhs on road Delhi .which comes with abs, music system , all disc brakes .

Last edited:

2 DIN can be deal breaker for some as the centre console is bit bland with that 1 DIN Alpine unit. Addition of 2 DIN is welcome.
Features like GPS provided by the manufacturer are not accurate and after market fitment is much more reliable IMO.
TATA prefered to stick with less features as the additions would escalate the price.
But I wonder how M&M priced the XUV 5oo in such a staggering manner[confused]

BTW which one is costlier to build? Ladder frame chassis or monocoque??

Ok these are my views and opinions -

Looks-
Looks are a matter of opinion but according to me-

XUV- its a very shouty and look at me kind of car. IMO it looks good,has road presence and that upmarket feel. But the rear needs a rethink. Looks like charlie Chaplins mustache. No hard feelings to XUV owners.

Strome- its got more elegant approach,does not look over done and quite classy. but the rear like the XUV needs a rethink but only because of the tail lights.
Strome takes my vote here.

Interiors-
XUV- its got very nicely designed dash board,has loads of features to play with. But quality is a turnoff.
Strome- Strome too has nicely designed interior. Quality is better than the XUV but that ICE head unit looks quite bad and I dont like the steering wheels design.
XUV is the winner here for me.

Ride,handling and stability-
XUV- its got a hard and bouncy ride. Handling is safe enough and stability is rock solid.
Strome- Exceptional ride and safe handling too. Stability,I am not sure but I think XUV was better.
My choice is the strome here.

Performance-
XUV- is a quick car. Its got good pickup, exceptional top end punch and really pulls well.
Strome- its also good,better than the last one. But does run out of breathe at higher RPMS.
Here the XUV clearly takes the win.

Interior space-
XUV- its spacious but I really hit my head a lot especially in the second row. Last row is for newborn.
Strome- its more spacious and I dont hit my head here.
So strome here for me.

Brakes and lane changing at speeds-
XUV- its got completely dead brakes. Very uninspiring. They really need to work here.Lane changing is also a drawback with that roll.
Strome - i dont have much experience with the brakes but they are better. I idid not find the strome to happy to change lanes at speed but better than XUV.
Verdict-
Well if tata has got the reliability right,strome for me. Although the XUV is also good but I really want to offroad if I buy and SUV.
The Cars I drove-
XUV W8 4X2
Strome VX 4X2.

Thread Starter #35

+100 for your nicely written comparison[clap]

At he interior space point, even I too felt the same in XUV hitting the head, the reason I find is the front two seats are bit on a lower side and just perfect, but some how 2nd row is raised a bit and also for this reason, when the driver sudden brakes it or change the lanes quickly, then you feel like falling ahead and falling a side most of the times[surprise]

On the suspension and off-road is concerned concerned. XUV hit a speed breaker with four medium built people are in and it is not confident to drive on off roads, but

Yes, it pulls quickly and pickup is awesome !!

Yes XUV steering is good than Storm too

On 120 speeds it made lot of noise engine and tyres and I was checking any window is slightly open, but they aren't.

Find few pics from our yesterday ride in XUV in which you can see the following

1.visibility
2. A duster ahead us
3. legspace in 2nd row
4. legspace in driving seat(steering touching legs)
5. front seats and 2nd row seats position difference
6. 3rd row
7. 3rd row legspace
8. space at footwell

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Well written my friend.[clap]

To all: Better have star rating which can be more expresssive..

Who ever compare both the vehicles ends up in a tie that both vehicles have there own characteristics and both are in a league of its own..

Other reviews that tells one (probably XUV 5oo) as a clear winner can be biased IMO

Well written my friend.[clap]
To all: Better have star rating which can be more expresssive..

Who ever compare both the vehicles ends up in a tie that both vehicles have there own characteristics and both are in a league of its own..

Other reviews that tells one (probably XUV 5oo) as a clear winner can be biased IMO
Agree with jagrover. These are different cars,being compared because of the price bracket. But it depends on your usage and personality

No one has answered my question. Which one is costlier to build..Monocoque or Body on frame[confused]
If BOF is costlier to build then no offence in TATA for trimming some gizmos in the Storme..
We all know TATA is a "more car per car" company and they usually offers more for the money..

No one has answered my question. Which one is costlier to build..Monocoque or Body on frame[confused]
If BOF is costlier to build then no offence in TATA for trimming some gizmos in the Storme..
We all know TATA is a "more car per car" company and they usually offers more for the money..
Body on frame is more expensive to build.

I thought I haven't made any biased opinion here.If found please correct me.

For an online reader there is no difference between the first post in this thread and other detailed reviews elsewhere on the web.According to me we need to give equal respect to all who post reviews on web without any discrimination irrespective of which vehicle comes out to be the winner as the end verdict.

When it comes to me, I have said many times in other related threads that I haven't driven a storme yet and will be doing next month if it is available in Kerala in my area. If it is not available in my area, frankly speaking I won't be taking any additional pain to go in search of it as it is simply an upgraded safari which should have happened a couple of years earlier at least.

It is up to the readers to evaluate and decide pros and cons of vehicles.After having done sufficient online research, if one TD each vehicle, it would be much easier for this very important decision making.

Car buying can be very exciting but one needs to use minds at times to avoid blunders in the process.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/member-s-lounge/11008-worst-car-buying-mistake.html

Please change the thread title if you want other users to post the way you want.Also If my posts are irrelevant please report it to MODs to delete them.

thanks

I never said you are biased to something but the online reviews posted by you looks more biased to me,
verdict they drawn between two different type cars is not convincing and looks more misleading,
Both vehicles are good and bad in some aspects, expert needs bring these points and let users to decide which suits better based on their requirement.

We in TAI doing same by bring both good and bad points equally and allowing readers to decide which suits them because our review may be subjective or people may different. we dont write reviews for money like auto journels

So I request you to take TD of STORME even if dealer sits far from you,

Last edited:

Compared to the older body on frame technique where the body is bolted to a frame, monocoque cars are less expensive

Manufacturing cost is relatively lower.

Read more: Car Articles India | Car Construction Basics You Need to Know

“Compared to older techniques, in which a body is bolted to a frame, monocoque cars are less expensive, lighter, more rigid, and can be more protective of occupants in a crash when appropriately designed. The use of higher strength steels in panels at points of high stress has increased strength and rigidity without increasing weight.”

Source

Body-on-Frame vs. Unibody | The Unlawyer | Philippines travel, dining, lifestyle, motoring news & reviews
Via Wikipedia .

In automobiles, it is now common to see true monocoque frames, where the structural members around the window and door frames are built by folding the skin material several times. In these situations the main concerns are spreading the load evenly, having no holes for corrosion to start, and reducing the overall workload. Compared to older techniques, in which a body is bolted to a frame, monocoque cars are less expensive .

Source
StandardShift.com • View topic - Body-on-frame vs. Monocoque (Unibody)

In commercial passenger car manufacture it is accepted practise to integrate the chassis of the car with the body of the car. This technique is sometimes referred to as monocoque or unitary-body design. A monocoque design is stronger, lighter, cheaper .

Source

http://monocoque-software.blogspot.in/2005/12/body-on-frame

i tried to refrain commenting uptill now, but this one takes the cake [frustration]

nice thread btw, people will know, what subjective perspective means from now on
Thanks a ton Raja.
@ Superbad- well I just dont randomly type anything out but I am happy that I made you to comment on this with your valuable feedback.

Last edited:

So BOF is expensive to built. So the price for Storme variants is justifiable for what it offers. IMO comparison of variant to variant of Storme and XUV 5oo in terms of price is not a good thing.

Again IMO both XUV 5OO and STORME are two different vehicles which are on a class of their own..

So BOF is expensive to built. So the price for Storme variants is justifiable for what it offers. IMO comparison of variant to variant of Storme and XUV 5oo in terms of price is not a good thing.

Again IMO both XUV 5OO and STORME are two different vehicles which are on a class of their own..
But we need to give full marks to mahindra because r& d cost for desgining their first monocoque SUV must have been more and yet in the beginning they priced it very low . Tata could have given more features because the platform is same of aria where they must have saved some cost .

Last edited:

Sorry for going OT
Superbad,
If Body on ladder chassis was cheaper,why would budget cars like the Tata nano have monocoque chassis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom