My New Honda City in White - The Albus

@ quarish786
- Give your headlights the 5000K/3600lm LED make over and let us know, especially heat related. I know cases of HID melting the rear plastic housing of OEM halogen bulb mounts. Also, if the oncoming traffic keeps flashing their headlights even you are on low beam...!

@ CRACING
"Sorry to hijack your thread".... I think we should really make a new thread (Especially related to LEDs) or use any existing threads in DIY section."

Partially, I tend to agree with you. Let Dr. Mudhan have his say, perhaps he is only too happy to see it grow. However, even if he doesn't mind the 'hijack', the need of the hour is really a ready reference data base on aftermarket products with details like
- whatever, does it work (or not...)?
- any plus or minus (yes, sometime a product works, but it is a pain to get it going the way you want it to (your door latch covers), or transit China-to-India in 60 days!)
- purchase source and price (link if available).
- the travails of DIY is part of the enjoyment in owning your pride and joy the Honda City, otherwise you and I won't be here. So, can't really eliminate DIY.

"Especially related to LEDs".
I think that would make it a very narrow base. Once you're done changing all your lights bulbs, what next? It should include anything and everything that improves matters over OEM, be it cosmetic (or detailing) or creature comfort or performance.
Eg. I am looking to improve suspension (Bilstien B4 - not performance, or lowering, just better ride comfort), or the Oznium under-door courtesy bolt lights (that are already turning heads for its convenience), etc.

"Amber color LED is around 3000K right?"
Strangely you got that wrong, Osram Diadem WY21W amber 1700K or Hella P21W and WY21W amber 1850K, generally amber indicator for clear lenses are between 1800K and 2000K. Tried indicator LEDs as you suggested. Too dark, almost maroon.

And CRACING, since you have been one of the most active contributor to this thread, how about your creating new post, say,
"The White Albus Story - Abridged"
...?

You will get all the support you need from Cityfolks on this thread, I am sure...!

Last edited:
Partially, I tend to agree with you. Let Dr. Mudhan have his say, perhaps he is only too happy to see it grow. However, even if he doesn't mind the 'hijack', the need of the hour is really a ready reference data base on aftermarket products with details like
- whatever, does it work (or not...)?
- any plus or minus (yes, sometime a product works, but it is a pain to get it going the way you want it to (your door latch covers), or transit China-to-India in 60 days!)
- purchase source and price (link if available).
- the travails of DIY is part of the enjoyment in owning your pride and joy the Honda City, otherwise you and I won't be here. So, can't really eliminate DIY.
Agreed and well said. [clap]

Strangely you got that wrong, Osram Diadem WY21W amber 1700K or Hella P21W and WY21W amber 1850K, generally amber indicator for clear lenses are between 1800K and 2000K. Tried indicator LEDs as you suggested. Too dark, almost maroon.
On a quick glance over aliexpress, most of T20 LEDs are listed as Red, Yellow/Amber, Blue & White colors but no mention about kelvin, so I guessed Yellow/amber would come under 3000k but I was wrong. Anyway, if you want a 3200-3500k LED which color would it be? If its warm white, I couldn't find such T20 LED bulbs.

Btw; I will be buying this bulb for indicators. The seller has agreed to ship via Hong Kong post if I buy two lots of 2 bulbs each. The seller has also got other color LEDs of same type.

And CRACING, since you have been one of the most active contributor to this thread, how about your creating new post, say,
"The White Albus Story - Abridged"
...?

You will get all the support you need from Cityfolks on this thread, I am sure...!
Yes but I'm no good in making threads like Dr. and any other expertise in this forum. It requires something special in first post which I couldn't make it but I will think about it though. [roll]

p.s Today I took some comparison shots of my car fog lights which has got H11 Cree. Product Link.
H12_12x5730_SMD_Cree_LED.jpg

Last edited:
Btw; I will be buying this bulb for indicators. The seller has agreed to ship via Hong Kong post if I buy two lots of 2 bulbs each. The seller has also got other color LEDs of same type.

p.s Today I took some comparison shots of my car fog lights which has got H11 Cree. Product Link.
There are indeed pitfalls in buying from China: they never have complete specs for most things, nevertheless you can't write them off as inferior product makers. Take CREE for instance, a North Carolina based US company does 90% of its manufacturing in HKG or China. Having said that, what good is a LED car light bulb if colour temp, light output in lumens (watts have no meaning here), test certification (CE, TuV, RoHS, etc.) are not available. Here is a quick comparison:

Yours - 27-chip 5630 SMDs | Mine - 60-chip 3528 SMDs
Yours - Yellow. K not specified | Mine - Yellow 6500-7000k (wrong, had to clarify, still no K value given, just yellow)
Yours - Can't see test certification | Mine - CE & RoHS cert.
Yours - Lux not mentioned | Mine - 300 lumens
Yours - $5.90 pair | Mine - $12.30 pair

By the way, lesser number of SMD chips does not mean less bright lamp, it depends on the type of chip. This link will perhaps explain how your LED bulb could be brighter than mine.

Your fog lamps look very good indeed, only can't see how much light is on the ground.

Last edited:
There are indeed pitfalls in buying from China: they never have complete specs for most things, nevertheless you can't write them off as inferior product makers. Take CREE for instance, a North Carolina based US company does 90% of its manufacturing in HKG or China. Having said that, what good is a LED car light bulb if colour temp, light output in lumens (watts have no meaning here), test certification (CE, TuV, RoHS, etc.) are not available.
Yes and thats why we look for branded products inwhich there specifications are accurate and complete but prices 10 times more. Its like what you pay is what you get. [;)]

As of certification stated by unbranded Chinese electronics, I never trust them. Reason, please check here.

By the way, lesser number of SMD chips does not mean less bright lamp, it depends on the type of chip. This link will perhaps explain how your LED bulb could be brighter than mine.
Yes I had mentioned about this long ago but thanks for the link, it has more information.

Your fog lamps look very good indeed, only can't see how much light is on the ground.
Please check here and here. They were taken when I first fitted the LEDs (Last year). I feel the fog lights in my car needs adjustment because the throw is same as headlights and less on ground. However, to adjust the lights, I need a plain area of 25 + 15 feet length and a wall in front which is hard to find in my city. The local Honda Service Center isn't so big either. Do you have know alternative ways? and are you using LED in fog lights?

Well, I'm also thinking of upgrading my Stock bulbs on Amaze.

What would you guys suggest me to do ?

Go for the normal ones with more wattage ? or the LED one's ?

Is led bulbs are available in the range of 3700k - 4300k ?

6000k will be very poor in the fog, it seems. Kindly enlighten me with your knowledge [:)]
Sorry for the delay in response to your query.

If you are interested in LEDs for your headlights, there is no harm in trying it nor it effects your vehicle warranty. Just that you need to pick the correct one in Aliexpress because there are lot of headlight LED bulbs and there are chances that you could go wrong. [:)]

My personal recommendation is to stick with stock type bulbs. You could go with HIDs but its a tricky job and voids warranty.

As of stock halogen bulbs, here are some you can choice:

OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited - 3900k - 1650 lm - Recommended
OSRAM Cool Blue Intense - 4100k - 1650 lm - Good if you want pure white light
OSRAM Night Breaker Plus - 3700K - 1650 lm - Good.
OSRAM Cool Blue Hyper - 5000k - 850 lm - Not Recommended. Only good for looks.

Philips X-treme Vision - 3700k - 1650 lm - Highly Recommended (There are two versions of X-treme Vision bulbs, check in the below links)
Philips Maximum White Light/Vision - 4100k - 1650 lm - New product but looks good
Philips Crystal Vision - 4300k - 1100 lm - Good if you want pure white light
Philips Diamond Vision - 5000k - 950 lm - Not Recommended. Only good for looks.

* These all are rated at 55/60 watt so can be fitted directly and no need to worry about relay or headlight melting. lm mentioned above is of high beam.

More Info:
All you need to know about the different types of headlight bulbs on the market today
What’s the difference between the OSRAM Night Breaker Plus and the Night Breaker Unlimited?
What's the difference between Philips X-treme Vision and Philips X-treme Vision +130?
Here are the results for the Auto Express Best Buy 2014 Awards!
Meet the Philips WhiteVision Range
PowerBulbs Blog

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Please check here and here. They were taken when I first fitted the LEDs (Last year). I feel the fog lights in my car needs adjustment because the throw is same as headlights and less on ground. However, to adjust the lights, I need a plain area of 25 + 15 feet length and a wall in front which is hard to find in my city. The local Honda Service Center isn't so big either. Do you have know alternative ways? and are you using LED in fog lights?
Your Fog brightness seems brighter than most I have seen (perhaps because they are white). But as you say, I think you need to get the beam pattern lowered to cover more floor area. As it is shown, it could blind oncoming traffic and you have no control over dimming it other than switching them off. I know that headlights are adjusted against a marked pattern on the wall, just 10 to 12 feet away from the lights. I don't know how fog lamps are aimed and adjusted on the City, or even if they are adjustable at all, 'cause mine is a S-MT and has no fog lights. Since fog lights generally does not have sharp beam cut off pattern (like headlights) I reckon you need to do the adjustment on open ground. Since there is no real fog involved, if adjusted correctly (instead of duplicating the main beams) they would prove to be perfect lighting for turning or cornering. All the best.

Last edited:
I am thinking to get steering wheel cover for my car. I am considering the hand stitch one available in aliexpress. Anybody has any experience with this kind of cover? How easy it will be to stitch it as a DIY? How perfectly fits it on the steering wheel? If anybody has any other good option then please share, I am open for anything which looks better, feels better and comfortable on long drives.

I would also like to change the emblem on steering. It is got peeled off and doesn't look good. Has anybody any idea where to get the new one?

Hello,

I received the T20 LEDs today, that where bought for indicators. Was sent via HK post and took just 11 days. Also I have noticed that the products sent via HK post held only for 24 hours in customs dept instead of a week. As of LEDs, they are good and started to work fine after powered ON.

Product Link

Video Shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z99-pxOrNvc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioqTYWS6OTc

@Essarr

I have a query regarding LEDs and indicators video shown above. As you have said earlier, indeed LEDs takes nanoseconds to turn ON but when fitted to indicators, they are flicker faster then stock bulbs. Is it normal? and it acts same in your car too? When turned ON as Emergency Lights, all LEDs flicker slow like normal bulbs.

I am thinking to get steering wheel cover for my car. I am considering the hand stitch one...................
I have placed order for hand stitched steering wheel cover (Cost 249/-) on Ebay India and you can expect my review once I receive it. [:)]

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Car Steering Wheel Covers Part II

Detailed information was already written by Dr MUDHAN here last year so I'll just put little from my side here.

Car steering wheel cover is a essential accessory for all cars, just like seat covers. It protects finishing of steering wheel and provides better grip to hold the wheel. There are two types of steering wheel covers found in market. One is ring type which you can directly fit to the steering wheel and no stitching required but it'll partially cover the wheel. The other one is hand stitched cover inwhich first you'll need to wrap it round the steering wheel and stitch in the edges to join. Both comes in different sizes, designs, materials (i.e cotton, pu leather, real leather & etc) and are priced accordingly. So one has to research and decide which suites better.

Ring_Steering_Wheel_Cover.jpg
Hand_Stitched_Steering_Wheel_Cover.jpg

I was actually interested in ring type steering wheel covers but due to several reasons (I wouldn't like to mention here), I had to choice hand stitched steering wheel cover.

Product Link: Here (Specific to Honda City i-Vtec)

Cost: Rs. 245/- including shipping

Review: The cover is made of PU leather and is stitched very nicely. Quality of PU leather is good and I don't think it will wear or tear easily but the materials used are thin, unlike other PU leather seat covers you see on bikes. I think its because the cover needs to stretched and fitted/warped to the steering wheel but it wasn't so easy for me alone to stretch it, had to use help of my brother. Stitching is also not easy as you'll need pull and press both the edges of the cover and stitch it. You'll find plenty of videos online but its not easy as shown. Also there are two types of stitch-able covers. One is to pass stitching thread over machine stitched threads and other is to pass stitching thread through pre-made holes. The cover I received had pre-made holes and thats the tricky/difficult job. Picture shown in ebay listing is different. Thread provided is limited in length and only a feet of extra thread is left after stitching. If you have no experience with stitching, better get it done by some good tailors. I had experience with tailoring and could finish the job nicely.

Pictures:

Product.jpg
Details.jpg
Dressed.jpg

Hope you guys liked it.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #941

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Hello Friends

Yes. I have been missing you all in the last three pages, that don’t mean that I missed to read your postings which give this thread more colors of experience and expertise. Many things I discussed somewhere in this thread earlier and these contributions make it updated.

I was away from the country for some time and I sincerely thank you all for making this thread as a wonderful resource. And, a very special thanks to CRACING.

I found more discussions over LED Headlights.

I totally agree with CRACING –
‘LEDs are never a replacement product of HIDs or even halogen bulbs. It does look theory but not practically.…’
There were some discussions over CHINA and, I too had already with you all here

The unexpected happened. The seller immediately responded, apologized and refunded the full money through my Pay Pal account. The world is still good because of such nice people...! China is famous for many things; unfortunately they are great in copying and cloning the electronics.

Intra market cannibalism is very common there and if one Chinese innovates a fine gadget and when that become popular in the market, simply other Chinese clone & make them flood in the market at a cheaper rate. The cheaper one never long last and ultimately brings a bad name to all Chinese products.

Regarding ELM 327 -OBD II SCANNER, honestly the original ones are very expensive and what we get from China are copy/clones. Not all the Chinese makes are good. I have selected the cheapest and the best among them based on the sales & feedback review.

Auto market is flooded with generic car rear view cameras of 99% Chinese make, unbranded & the performance is mostly differ from what they claim in Ads. They are not clearly labeled as CCD/CMD/CMOS.

BUT, One can’t ignore CHINA as on date as many of the world electronic giants like Sony, Panasonic, HP (Hewlett Packard ), Philips and many more have their quality controlled manufactured facility there to reduce cost- due to cheap labor and flexible MAN / productive hours.

@ Essarr

Think about this for a sec. We are all quoting and posting threads of our stuff in Dr. Mudan's original post. Any reason? Because, I would think that he has already gone thru the travails of trial and error over various 'aftermarkets' (I would include Cracing here too) and given us (also-ran) a database on what works and what doesn't. That, for me, is fair-enough reason for not wasting money on mundane stuff.
Thanks Sir. Yes that is true. Regarding LEDs in my car whatever I made it final, I am very happy so far.

I shall respond to other queries / postings.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Thread Starter #942

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ quraish786

(REF: Here & Here )

1. I have received most of my parcels…
2. The 3600 LM cost about 4K. (Which is about twice the cost of an upgrade to Night Breakers / Extreme Vision) so it is not too bad I think. Also I am a technology fan so if I do have to spend for something innovative and unique I would certainly consider it.
Great! Your Mulberry must be nice looking now. Please upload the pictures and share your experience.

3. Also for anyone else who is considering going in for the pre-flickering brake lamps please do not give it a go. I though that it will blink a few times before going steady red.
Yes . I told already HERE!

I will not recommend those bulbs which has in built flash strobe chip (Pre-flickering LED brake lamp/light/bulb W21/5W T20 ) for two reasons- one the illumination is not equal to stock one and next, they are very expensive.
1. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...new-honda-city-white-albus-22.html#post376133
2. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...new-honda-city-white-albus-54.html#post415476

@ bhaveshce (REF)

1. Thank you Dr. Mudhan for starting this wonderful & informative thread. I am shocked how could be I unaware of this wonderful forum. This is my first post on this forum. I have read your entire thread and I really appreciate your effort and your passion about your car. I am also passionate about cars and driving (safely).
2. Dr. Mudhan, I hope you don't mind I am posting in your thread without your permission. But your thread really became an encyclopedia for ANHC (All New Honda City) so I think it would be good to have information in one place rather than scattered at several places.
Thank you very much to meet another likeminded friend. Please upload the pictures and share your experience especially about your Chrome plated handle cover, CNG kit, Coil spring adjuster. ( But, I am going to share soon about my chrome plated handle covers as they have lost the shinning [frustration])

@ Essarr
(REF)

1. As for Dr. Mudhan, for one, others (including me) have totally taken over his post, and two, give him a rest because most of the questions that has been asked in recent times have already been answered somewhere in the past 60-odd pages.
2. And CRACING, since you have been one of the most active contributor to this thread, how about your creating new post, say, "The White Albus Story - Abridged"...?
3. Partially, I tend to agree with you. Let Dr. Mudhan have his say, perhaps he is only too happy to see it grow. However, even if he doesn't mind the 'hijack', the need of the hour is really a ready reference data base on aftermarket products with details like

Yes. I prefer to come and appear every time with some new information or experience. Mostly I avoid my comments on each and everything unless a correction is needed as per my personal opinion. But I respond if a specific request is made.

“Most of the questions that has been asked in recent times have already been answered somewhere in the past 60-odd pages”
- Honestly I too feel the same.

I am really honored for my hard work in the past by all of your contributions and amazed to note that how the ‘ALBUS ‘ name registered into your thoughts whenever you think of a Honda City!

Thanks for everything.[:D]

Thread Starter #943

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ SUNREX

Hi Dr.MUDHAN....got few installations...1) Reverse Camera, 2) Brake Lights [ordered for blinking one in Aliexpress but got only simple brake lights to replace the reflector] and Yes 3) Pioneer AVH-X8690BT . My auto electrician advised me to not change any speakers as the OEM ones sound good.
Hi Dr. MUDHAN. Missing your comments. To avoid unnecessary wiring extensions, one friend suggested to use Google chrome cast device provided the ICE HU supports HDMI Port. This would address the navigation or similar mirroring issues in HUs... will post after trying it out.

Thanks for expecting me and so happy to note you have added many things to your ANHC.

Please let me know about the Reverse Camera / Pioneer AVH-X8690BT/ Dash Panel – the name, cost, place of purchase and fitting and performance as it will be very useful to our other friends.

Please think to add sound insulation, good tweeters and a steering remote and that would make a world of difference!

REGARDING GOOGLE CHROME CAST:​

I will not recommend as Google Chrome Cast is meant for a different purpose.

GCC acts as a bridge between a smart phone and a display preferably a Television to show the audio/ video contents of the phone what we call ‘Mirroring’. For this to work flawlessly, you need to have a dedicated Wi-Fi.

“Stream HD videos, music and anything on the web to your TV using your smartphone, tablet or laptop Supports YouTube, Google Play Movies and Music, as well as anything on the web using Chrome browser- Chromecast works with Android smartphones and tablets, iPhones and iPads, Chrome for Windows, Chrome for Mac and Chromebooks. Easy set-up: Plug into any HDMI port on your TV and connect to your home - Wi-Fi network 2 Mbps & above broadband Wi-Fi connection is necessary for an optimal experience”
If it is for your navigation, better to go far a dedicated one like MapmyIndia. You have already have Bluetooth sync for music in HU. Not many HUs have HDMI link.

GCC is popular in countries where people subscribe more online TV channels like Netflix etc., I got one from DUBAI and felt it not much of use. The new generation smart TVs, Blu-ray players automatically supports ‘Mirroring’ function without any external aid.

My Olx.in AD for GCC is still waiting for buyers.[roll]

Last edited:
Thanks CRACING for your detailed review about steering wheel cover. It would definitely help while selecting steering wheel cover for my car. [clap]

Thank you very much to meet another likeminded friend. Please upload the pictures and share your experience especially about your Chrome plated handle cover, CNG kit, Coil spring adjuster. ( But, I am going to share soon about my chrome plated handle covers as they have lost the shinning [frustration])
Thank you very much Dr. MUDHAN for motivating me to write about my modifications. I already have received chrome plated handle cover last week and I had successfully fitted it in last weekend. Presently it looks good. But I am worried as you mentioned that yours are losing shine.[confused] I will definitely write about my modifications and my review about that.

Hi Sir,
Today only i got the chance to see your post, really i am admired in that. it clearly explains me a way how to maintain and love my car (Tata nano - bough last month). hope i will maintain my car like you.
Thanks once again.[:D]

Top Bottom