My New Honda City in White - The Albus

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thanks bhvm for two things. First your visit, follow up with my thread & for your heartfelt appreciation.

I had gone through your fantastic DIYs, really, even before ! It needs a lot of understanding about this emerging technology and you discuss & clarify in-depth. [clap]

I wonder, why other than Chinese no other coming out to do more research over this promising technology?

Your home made head light DRLs are quite interesting. It needs patient and perfection. Now a days I see many such special bulb strip in aliexpress and they have dual function as in high end cars. White Day light and amber indicators as well.

It is my feeling that while choosing such LEDs , we should go with the one which is not two flashy and an eye irritant. I am not keen in doing these for my head lights but I am going for something unique with these LEDs and soon you will read some postings of mine.

Thanks again. I will keep visiting your thread/postings.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN
Hello again, I am glad that you liked my DIYs.

1) About the LED research, I feel Sweden is at the top and not china (if you're looking for quality and innovation). The Optodrive guys at sweden sent me their Prototype samples. And Boy! Were they some lights!

They're developing LEDs which offer 97% CRI. If sunlight is 100% Quality, These new leds are 97% as good!. The "Normal" CFL and LED that we use are rated at 60~70% MAX. The LEDs i was sent also had a Healthy Ra9 Rating. Which makes them awesome for Medical, Scientific and Photography use (or where color quality is important)

2) Just today i got an Idea about DRL. I feel that the DRL should shine brightly when sun is up, But gradually dim off as the evening falls. The benefit here is, offering only the required amount of light without Blinding others. We could take some inspiration from Mobile phones, where the screen brightness is automatically changed as per ambient light. I bet such a circuit could be used for the DRL as well.

3) Just made some LED footwell/Longue lights for my Blue boy. Pics coming up in my resp thread.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #332

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XXXIV:

MY ALBUS: DASHBOARD DOLLS​

Yes, I am talking about dolls - Sometimes you have to be a child that makes you young![;)]

When I was a kid, my grandparents used say whenever we went out, ‘come we will go by pleasure!’

Yea, the cars were referred as ‘PLEASURE’ in those days! … As owning, driving and travelling on those wheels gave us pleasure!

Today, for people like us seeing it every day the way we want is itself a matter of pride and pleasure.

The neat, cozy cabin, give us a feeling of comfort, warmth, and relaxation. The car perfume, music, the things on the dashboard need to be our mood elevator!!

Keeping God idols, dolls over dash board, hangings charm with central rear view mirror are common in every part of the world.

I have seen people keeping dolls like cartoon characters, animals, artificial plants, flags, bubbleheads, the famous hula girls – static or spring type.

Their origins starts from the dashboard hula girl of the 1950's, which had Velcro strip underneath its pedestal or glue or nails, depending on the condition of the vehicle. The new ones today has double sided tape fortunately without spoiling the surface and some of them move, some even talk, but most are made to just stand or to shake there looking cool & to make us relaxed.

READ MORE: Dancing on the Dash — History of the Hula Doll
History of the Hula Girl Dashboard Decoration | OnStar Connections

Few years before when I went to Pune, I travelled in a car. The dashboard doll ‘Flip Flop’ Solar Powered Dancing Flower mesmerized me like a child. Sometimes you have to be a child that makes you young!

A great cheap little gadget for the car that puts a smile on your face. I purchased one online but I could not use, it reached me in a broken condition as the quality was so fragile.

Since then I have been searching for something unique. I got it!

Mocmoc Doll Auto Car Dashboard Head Shaking Swing Toy Dolls, available in ebay.in / aliexpress.

There are more models, I have selected three. the one I liked. They are simple, natural, and most adorable to watch while shaking their heads. It gives everyone who travel with me a smile and just look at this little spirit lifter to get a feel like sailing on a cloud. I am 56 years old and this dolls makes me feel young again.

DASH DOLL 01.jpg

DASH DOLLS 02.jpg

DASH DOLLS.jpg

A word of my God Idol:

I was desperate to get Gold Plated Statue -God Balaji from Tarang Bangalore. Crafted with original Swarovski components, the enamel idol possess the brilliance and delicateness. After one month of my order, they said no stock. Therefore I had to manage with a similar old one I had, repaired with local stones. But on placing the center of my dash board, the rear side gold plated mould finish was visible outside through windshield.
I did one thing, I used the black label magnetic mobile holder (which I could not use for my Samsung Galaxy Note II) to cover the rear flawlessly.

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are easily get irritated by windshield reflection, better avoid dash board articles. (To know more read my postings @ 25th December 2013, 11:15 AM / Page 11).​

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir, that is really fantastic write-up about dolls in dash. I too have a small dog in my dash. but it is a cotton one. I like this concept. If possible in future I will also get one or two.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Amazing journey Doc, this is like a bible for Honda City! I don't think there is any thread exists online with so much information in detail on Honda City. Being a Doctor and your interest in other side of technology which is really amazing. It proves that its not text books and exam marks, but the interest and hardwork we put in to understanding makes us educated. [clap]
I am about to receive my City this week and once that happens I will have to go through this thread again in detail. Keep up the wonderful work!

Thread Starter #335

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Mod looks fabulous doctor. .. As you mentioned you sliced wires and regarding that i have question in mind. Does it'll not affect your warranty? If there is no wire cutting then I am really interested for this mod. Kindly guide me on that.
@HaruH

HONDA WARRANTY ISSUES

As I have indicated earlier in this thread, Warranty is a million dollar question!

Modification or Anything done by other than the authorized dealers will void warranty as per their terms.

Most car manufacturers specify "warranty void" If a scheduled/suggested service is missed.

There are difference even between primary warranty and secondary extended warranty. Certain things covered in primary warranty are not covered in extended warranty.

We should not do anything if we have concern about warranty. Then we will lose the charm of personalization of our car.

Unfortunately we don’t get in India the plug in adopters for OE wiring harness, so next safest way by not cutting the wire.

Honda gives the most reliable and efficient product. In most of the extended warranty cases, all parts of the vehicle are not covered like suspension, clutch, and other wear and tear items, particularly the wiring harness; the wiring harness can be changed under primary warranty (first 2 yrs.) but not under extended warranty (next 2 yrs.)

Better to have warranty extended as items like Fuel pump, AC compressors , defective engines are expensive & will make us to shell out around 25-50k rupees or more.

The fact is that, If your time is good everything will go well and if the proximate cause is not due to what you did. Or otherwise we have to fight to win and sometimes we may lose it.[cry]

Thread Starter #336

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ravib

I have discussed this issue @ 25th December 2013, 11:15 AM / Page 11 , Of course, over windshield reflection.
You would have also noticed the pictures of my car @ 30th March 2014, 10:29 AM / Page 22 as I am using suction cup stick on car sun shades on my glasses to control the heat radiation to some extent.
Exactly, I have been thinking of covering 20% front windshield by sun control film or vinyl strip. Only think I am worried whether it spoil the look of the car.
Please post your pictures.

@CRACING

The other way to install Flash strobe breaking lights, to change the OE break light bulbs with Pre-flickering LED brake lamp/light/bulb W21/5W T20. Unfortunately the one available now online is expensive and not powerful. We may get a better one soon.
Yes. Two flasher modules are needed for left & right respectively. Single module for dual route also available on line but better to avoid it as it is expensive & will take more wiring.

@bhvm

It is exciting to know more and more from you, especially the innovation of Optodrive, Sweden.
Yes. I have seen your Blue boy with LED footwell lights. You think different and I wish for some amazing innovation by you.

@Sethumurugan

Thanks. Please don’t miss to see this Dancing on the Dash - video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR2V_3-B8y4

Thread Starter #337

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Amazing journey Doc, this is like a bible for Honda City! I don't think there is any thread exists online with so much information in detail on Honda City...
I am about to receive my City this week and once that happens I will have to go through this thread again in detail. Keep up the wonderful work!
Dear Indian

Thanks for all those kind words. Yes. One cannot direct the wind; but can adjust the sails.

I know, you are the very few, following me constantly, read every line of my write- up and encouraging me by offering your comments / thumps ups.

Congratulations… Wow! Going to be a proud owner of ANHC 2014! Wishing you luck & success… In all that you do.

With Warm Regards

Dr MUDHAN

@CRACING

The other way to install Flash strobe breaking lights, to change the OE break light bulbs with Pre-flickering LED brake lamp/light/bulb W21/5W T20. Unfortunately the one available now online is expensive and not powerful. We may get a better one soon.
OE brake light aka tail light contains T20 bulb for brake? When I removed the tail light unit for cleaning, the bulbs were like BA15s or BAY15d. Or you were talking about bumper lights that comes on ANHC 2012 and above?

You are right. Pre-flickering LED aren't worth it, in case the led dies, we need to throw it simply. Cannot trust these Chinese LEDs, they easily die if high voltage comes in (i.e igniting engine) and the resisters are not so capable as they are not meant to step-down voltage. so better to buy a flasher module plus led bulbs and if led bulbs die, we can replace them in cheaper cost. [:)]

Yes. Two flasher modules are needed for left & right respectively. Single module for dual route also available on line but better to avoid it as it is expensive & will take more wiring.
I see, thanks for the info.

Thanks...
Best Regards

@HaruH

HONDA WARRANTY ISSUES

As I have indicated earlier in this thread, Warranty is a million dollar question!

Modification or Anything done by other than the authorized dealers will void warranty as per their terms.

Most car manufacturers specify "warranty void" If a scheduled/suggested service is missed.

There are difference even between primary warranty and secondary extended warranty. Certain things covered in primary warranty are not covered in extended warranty.

We should not do anything if we have concern about warranty. Then we will lose the charm of personalization of our car.

Unfortunately we don’t get in India the plug in adopters for OE wiring harness, so next safest way by not cutting the wire.

Honda gives the most reliable and efficient product. In most of the extended warranty cases, all parts of the vehicle are not covered like suspension, clutch, and other wear and tear items, particularly the wiring harness; the wiring harness can be changed under primary warranty (first 2 yrs.) but not under extended warranty (next 2 yrs.)

Better to have warranty extended as items like Fuel pump, AC compressors , defective engines are expensive & will make us to shell out around 25-50k rupees or more.

The fact is that, If your time is good everything will go well and if the proximate cause is not due to what you did. Or otherwise we have to fight to win and sometimes we may lose it.[cry]
Thanks a lot for such a detailed note on Warranty.

As you said warranty is million dollar question I have made my mind clear to stay away from the mods which includes wire cut or like that stuff for peace of mind.

But as always I am sure that you will inspire us for more simple and effective stuff of mods. So keep going. [clap]

Thanks a lot for such a detailed note on Warranty.

As you said warranty is million dollar question I have made my mind clear to stay away from the mods which includes wire cut or like that stuff for peace of mind.

But as always I am sure that you will inspire us for more simple and effective stuff of mods. So keep going. [clap]
Thats the reason I bought a used car rather then new. I save 50% cost, that I can use for its reconditioning, extra accessories plus few litters of fuel to enjoy the new ride. I can also freely modify the car and repair the faulty things myself if any without worrying about warranty. Of course, in case of bad lucks, have a bear some amounts to fix major things.

One perfect example is; In my car, driver side power window unit was not working properly (switches used to suck in and won't reject back, need to tap few times to get it rejected). When I bought the car, it still had few months of extended warranty so I asked service center guy to get the unit replaced. He agreed and said, at present we don't have stock of it but will be taking your order and let you know once the unit arrives. Will be done under warranty. I waited few months but nothing from them. Even called them few times but they said, unfortunately Honda has stopped giving warranty for power window switches unit but will try our best to find one for me. Also said, the unit costs 4000 to 5000 Rs to buy. Waited few more months but no hopes from them. Later I found the same unit on ebay India for 2500 with a discount coupon of 20%, bought it right away for 2k [:D]. Its 100% original Honda's unit when compared and works perfect.

Meanwhile I tried to repair the faulty unit and fixed it but its not 100% perfect though. Very rarely the buttons suck but not bad as before (used to suck all the time). I'm still using the old unit, if it gives more trouble again, I will replace it with new one.
They get damaged due to dust I suppose.

@Dr MUDHAN, saw your dashboard and I'm requesting for a little guide for steering wheel covers. I see there are plenty of covers online. one is direct snap on and the other needs stitching. but I'm afraid how strong/tight the cover holds the wheel and won't it skid inside. Let me know which ones are better.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Sir I have one question regarding SMD LED pannel. When i fit those LED in the dome light because of the thick 3M double sided tape they are touching to the cover of the dome light. So is it fine or there will be some problem to cover or for LED's regarding the heat or like that?
I put the same setup as yours i.e. 2 panels of LED's.

Thanks a lot. [:)]

Sir I have one question regarding SMD LED pannel. When i fit those LED in the dome light because of the thick 3M double sided tape they are touching to the cover of the dome light. So is it fine or there will be some problem to cover or for LED's regarding the heat or like that?
I put the same setup as yours i.e. 2 panels of LED's.

Thanks a lot. [:)]
That's why he has removed it and used original 3M double sided tape which is thin then whats came with the panel. [:)]

Of course led's will get hot if its stays ON for long time but I doubt it harm the hard plastic cover.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #344

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
I put the same setup as yours i.e. 2 panels of LED's.Thanks a lot. [:)]

PART XXII:
THE BEST DOME / FESTOON L.E.Ds WHAT I FOUND :
Finally I tried the 24 SMD 5050 (bigger than SMD 3528 type ), which was costing very less ie.Rs.300 one pair and found it is of excellent quality and succeeded. Only thing the double side tape was very thick and I removed, replaced with the thin original 3M tape to get some space.
I did a mistake which I don’t want you to do it if you try so. While inter connecting the two bulbs, I did it as + to + & - to – as ‘parallel’ connection and found only one bulb was working. Again I have changed to ‘series’ that is + to - & - to + between bulbs, found OK. If you are good at soldering, do it or otherwise remove a sleeve and joint with the other wire – red & black.
HaruH,

You would have noted from the above quote / postings that I have also felt the same and to save some space between bulb and the lens cover I have removed the white duplicate 3M thick double side tape & applied another original thin tape. Still I could feel one side is little touching the lens cover. They are not hot bulbs like halogen to melt the acrylic plastic lens cover and I felt no issues.

But to save their life hours duration I ensure the dome light is switched off when I leave the vehicle for service & when there is a need to keep the doors open for a longer period of time, say vacuum cleaning.

I hope, you would like the illumination.

Further, you would have also noticed the + / - polarity issue (parallel / series) is not there in every pair.

Last edited:
HaruH,

You would have noted from the above quote / postings that I have also felt the same and to save some space between bulb and the lens cover I have removed the white duplicate 3M thick double side tape & applied another original thin tape. Still I could feel one side is little touching the lens cover. They are not hot bulbs like halogen to melt the acrylic plastic lens cover and I felt no issues.

But to save their life hours duration I ensure the dome light is switched off when I leave the vehicle for service & when there is a need to keep the doors open for a longer period of time, say vacuum cleaning.

I hope, you would like the illumination.

Further, you would have also noticed the + / - polarity issue (parallel / series) is not there in every pair.

Thanks a lot for your inputs sir and CRACING.

Installed those SMD in car, illumination is fabulous just like day light. Very happy with the results.

Regarding tiny space I have managed to get some small distance between the cover and bulbs and also will fallow your tips on the same.

I didn't face any issue in polarity, joined two panels with soldering for proper joint. [:)]

I have uploaded pics in my thread for reference.

Top Bottom