My New Honda City in White - The Albus

Thread Starter #211

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XXVII:

TO GET BEST SQ OUT OF ANHC HEAD UNIT PLAYER:​

headunit.jpg

MY ANHC HU & SPEAKERS

My ANHC – EMT version came with a factory fitted Head Unit Radio / Stereo Player with O.E front speakers, of course without a remote control [frustration].
I love music and thought I should have tweeters and got them fitted from the dealer, the same OE one comes with the higher end models.
Later, I added a Pioneer A634 TS three way coaxial speaker in the rear. Unfortunately, I could not do any research at the time of purchase as I was depending on my advocate brother. I told him JBL Component speakers for the rear but somehow he made it with Pioneer.
Of course this Pioneer is really good but I still feel whether I missed out a better sound of JBL. I wanted a moderate boss sound with a discrete tweeter fine sound, but definitely not a harsh metallic pitch from an independent twitter. Some say JBL too produces such harsh sound. Focal, told to be excellent but was very expensive.

TUNING HU & MUSIC FORMATS

I collected all my favorite songs in MP3/ 320 Kbps format. Learned to tune my H.U.
I felt the EQ Natural mode, Boss 3/ Treble 4 is good for me. Adjusted the fader / rear to surround the resonance.
The center push select knob by pressing and rotating it helped me to read folder and name of the file after pressing the play button.
I still missed the CD qualities, and explored what better format this unit would play. Used some music format converters to get the best bytes rate - Kbps through various formats. Found that the best possible format this player can play is compressed MP3- 320 Kbps & AAC M4a - 384 Kbps (APPLE Format) .
No chance to play my favorite clear WAV & FLAC lossless formats.
I thought of connecting my mobile phone to HU AUX-in and did not try.

IS THERE ANY BETTER ADD ON ?

Driving the City on highways is good. The car hugs the road and steering feel is also good. Cruising around 90/100 is nice and relaxing. For this highway drive we connected our Flac music player (transcend) and the sound quality was good.
After reading from another ANHC thread by Highway Ranger, I tried to connect my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and found, the sound is OK.
Yes, the output cannot be good as the music is being played by a software player.
I came to know from the same thread, Transcend has brought a hardware MP3 player, sounds good and play FLAC formats. I purchased one @ Chennai. But I understood that the player marketed in India can’t play FLAC files even though model is the same international model - MP330. I am one of the few unfortunate Indian deprived of such benefit.[frustration] Many times, we Indians became scape goat of some international companies.
Then I started converting my best FLAC music file to WAV format and started playing, of course by unnecessary efforts and waste of time.

I really love country love songs By Randy Travis, Bellamy Brothers and digitally mastered devotional songs and of course our classic old songs.

PLEASE NOTE:

I want to share with you certain things here:
If you want to add a simple portable CD player to your HU through AUX-in, doubly checkup the model number in the back of the box which ends with some specific alphabet. My Transcend player has MP330k. Please note the ‘k’ which, I understood different from MP330a & MP330b models, and meant for some countries like India which will not have FLAC/SRS benefits. (Yes, I am hearing your voice, of course it is atrocious!)
You can even think of buying a SANDISK SANSA CLIP + which is comparatively better player. But ensure that these player are playing the formats which are not played by our HU like WAV, FLAC etc.
But, using these external players with our HU is little painstaking, you may require an assistant while driving or you have to make it to play continuously a play list. You may have to keep the HU volume all most full, accidental switch over to FM will give a loud sound. You have to switch off without forgetting it while coming out of the car. The sound of 3.5 mm ear phone socket has no enough strength and tuning the music / songs through its inbuilt equalizer works only with MP3 formats.

To get best out of the existing factory HU, to play through its USB drive, make the best format that can possibly be played by it. I mean formats like AAC M4a - 384 Kbps & MP3 320 Kbps from origional CD (CDA Format) , WAV or FLAC files.

The best converter I researched and found is EZ CD Audio Converter (EZ CD Audio Converter - CD Ripper, Audio Converter, Disc Burner). Download the full trial version which works for 30 days. Convert your original WAV, FLAC files to AAC M4a - 384 Kbps format and see the difference. If you don't want APPLE's AAC M4a - 384 Kbps format, your PC operating system default music player WMP can rip & convert easily any CD into MP3 320 Kbps format.

Remember this will not make good a lower quality mp3 file (garbage in- garbage out), but a high quality WAV / FLAC files to better compressed format.

WHAT I PLAN:

I understand from the experts that adding an amplifier to factory head unit would enhance the sound quality and give sufficient punch for better quality sounds.
HU are just producing 15 to 20 watt power which can’t give a punch to standard 35-50 watt speakers.
Among amplifiers the digital class D type is the best to persons who like a glass breaking boss through their sub-woofer. But person like me who would always like to hear low volume but clean & clear sounds where I can enjoy the sounds of precision instruments should go for class AB type amplifier.
I know one more truth that it is always better to have same brands of Front / Rear speakers to maintain the same sound signature but at present I am not going for it.
I am planning to buy an amplifier soon, preferably from ALPINE and I shall revert to share with you about my observation.

Until then
Enjoy your music & Life means more …..[:)]
Regards,
Dr.MUDHAN

Attachments

Last edited:
@ Dr MUDHAN : had placed order for the Transformer Logo from ebay. Got a call yesterday night informing that the Logo which i had ordered have got some rusting on the metal part hence they will be refunding my paid amount. Luckily the dealer from whom i had purchased the Logo from on Ebay has his shop close to my house so will be going and seeing other collections available.

About the LED fog lamps i did get a few LED bulbs that you have shown in the pictures earlier but the Output of it was very dull compared to my normal halogen. In fact the pictures of you Albus shows great illumination but on my car it was not that illuminated. Hence i did not opt for it and stuck to the stock ones as of for now.

I tried the following one

Attachments

Thread Starter #213

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ Sandykudva

1. I don’t understand your lines ‘some rusting on the metal part ‘as what I bought is chrome plated good quality plastic, weightless, weather proof and no question of rusting.

2. I think that you have not read my write up @ page 9 fully. I have clearly indicated about the bulb what I have. And what more I like. The bulb what you have shown above is not the one you are seeing in my ALBUS which illumination you liked.

Generally, I don’t want to repeat information which I have already shared with you all for want of time and to avoid waste of space.

But I repeat for you :

15th November 2013, 06:53 PM

What I use now:

7.5W Super Bright SMD H11 Car LED White Day Driving Fog Light Lamp Bulb 1 pair /lot
WATT 7.5 / LUMEN 300-330 / LENGTH 54 MM US $13.00 / Pair

7.5W Super Bright SMD H11 Car LED White Day Driving Fog Light Lamp Bulb 1 pair /lot-in Light Source from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

If you want a better one for almost the same price :

2x High Power Bright White Diamond Cut CREE XP-E LED H11 Projector Fog Daytime Running Light Bulbs
WATT 20 / LUMEN 650 / LENGTH 65 MM Discounted price as on 15/11/2013= US $12.40 / lot (otherwise US $ 14.59 / Pair)

2x High Power Bright White Diamond Cut CREE XP E LED H11 Projector Fog Daytime Running Light Bulbs-in Light Source from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

17th November 2013, 12:01 PM

Yes, L.E.D bulbs are so far not produced to give equivalent illumination like a conventional halogen bulb. But the days are not far away. See here example, the standard H11 halogen bulb gives max 1570 lumens. Only at present the CREE technology can give max 650 Lumens.
To my opinion, fog lamps should not be compared with head lights. I lived / driven more than 10 years in a very foggy / misty place like OOTY, wherein I felt the original halogen fog bulbs dissipate the foggy air layer by their heat waves and make our car to be noticed by others. This quality we cannot expect from L.E.Ds.
Definitely, the fog L.E.D bulb will be easily spotted by other motorists on the road, whether it is day or foggy time, it complements the road lower view to some extent.

Regarding, Fog-Light-H11-5050-24SMD-LED-Light-Lamp-Bulb - I really like the bulbs while glowing as stars. That’s why I ordered one for me, I know the illumination may not be adequate, but ok for me to drive the car in Chennai or Coimbatore

Last edited:
But, using these external players with our HU is little painstaking, you may require an assistant while driving or you have to make it to play continuously a play list. You may have to keep the HU volume all most full, accidental switch over to FM will give a loud sound. You have to switch off without forgetting it while coming out of the car. The sound of 3.5 mm ear phone socket has no enough strength and tuning the music / songs through its inbuilt equalizer works only with MP3 formats.
Yes Dr. using such players isn't an easy job, especially when you are alone in the car. You may literally need to take your eyes off the road to change/adjust anything.

To get best out of the existing factory HU, to play through its USB drive, make the best format that can possibly be played by it. I mean formats like AAC M4a - 384 Kbps & MP3 320 Kbps from origional CD (CDA Format) , WAV or FLAC files.
Yes. As far as Figo's OE Audio System is concerned, the SQ is at it's best in USB Playback. Here is the scale of measurement to what I have observed and agreed by few others too. Best SQ = USB >> CD >> BT >> AUX >> Radio. Hence, I try to keep the files to 320 KBPS whenever possible, else somewhere in 250+ range. Anything less than that is no worth of listening!

The best converter I researched and found is EZ CD Audio Converter (EZ CD Audio Converter - CD Ripper, Audio Converter, Disc Burner). Download the full trial version which works for 30 days. Convert your original WAV, FLAC files to AAC M4a - 384 Kbps format and see the difference. If you don't want APPLE's AAC M4a - 384 Kbps format, your PC operating system default music player WMP can rip & convert easily any CD into MP3 320 Kbps format.

Remember this will not make good a lower quality mp3 file (garbage in- garbage out), but a high quality WAV / FLAC files to better compressed format.
Please help me understand the need for this software as even Windows Media Player would RIP the CD in required Bit Rate. Whenever I buy a new ACD, I rip it to 320 kbps and transfer to USB.

BTW, here is a weird story from me. See if you can guess something... http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...onsistent-sound-quality-output-stock-ice.html

Originally Posted by Dr MUDHAN
1. I don’t understand your lines ‘some rusting on the metal part ‘as what I bought is chrome plated good quality plastic, weightless, weather proof and no question of rusting.
About the Transformer Logo that was the reason they gave me for the Order cancellation. As its near my place i did not ask much questions and decided to check it personally later on when i have some time.

Originally Posted by Dr MUDHAN
2. I think that you have not read my write up @ page 9 fully. I have clearly indicated about the bulb what I have. And what more I like. The bulb what you have shown above is not the one you are seeing in my ALBUS which illumination you liked.

Generally, I don’t want to repeat information which I have already shared with you all for want of time and to avoid waste of space.
About the Fog Lamps sorry to trouble you on that but did not have any intentions on troubling you on it or wasting your precious time. Had read your article on page 9 and was aware of the fact that the Illumination of the LED is lesser compared to the Halogen.
On the page you have written that you have liked the star ones which you have ordered in spare and the same ones that i tried but the illumination was not close to the the ones On your Albus. I know you have fitted the 7.5W Super Bright SMD H11 Car LED White Day Driving Fog Light Lamp Bulb in your Albus but i thought that as you have ordered the star ones as spare then they must be producing the same output as in your present setup.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #216

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
About the Fog Lamps sorry to trouble you on that but did not have any intentions on troubling you on it or wasting your precious time.
Dear Sandykudva

First I am sorry if my reply made you little sad.

I respect this forum and we meet here to help each other.

I did not say ‘waste of time’ but I said ‘want of time’.

Let us not have any misunderstanding, OK?

You come to this thread to get something useful and I will never disappoint you.

1. Please let me know the ebay.in link at which you placed order for the logo. If possible, I will find out something better for you. The logo never comes in metal, either comes in plastic or aluminum alloy. They may fade if poor quality but do not get rusted, as you know.

2. As we discussed, these LED fog bulbs can’t be a replacement for original halogen lights. But certainly they will be a good DRL and spot light in the night @ reduced power consumption. I am sure the new LED technology CREE will not disappoint you.

Cheers to you.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Last edited:
Thread Starter #217

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Please help me understand the need for this software as even Windows Media Player would RIP the CD in required Bit Rate. Whenever I buy a new ACD, I rip it to 320 kbps and transfer to USB.
BTW, here is a weird story from me. See if you can guess something... http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...onsistent-sound-quality-output-stock-ice.html
1. Yes.Figoian. Windows Media Player RIP is the best when you want to extract audio from a CD.
But it won’t help if you have a collection of good songs in WAV or FLAC or WMA (LS), in loss less, uncompressed format. We need a dedicated converter to convert these best file to a best compressed format which can be played by our HU.
APPLE AAC / M4A is really good and all the software converters can’t make it to AAC M4a - 384 Kbps format. Since this format is recognised by ANHC stock HU, I recommended EZ CD Audio Converter. This software also helps you to RIP AUDIO CD to AAC M4a - 384 Kbps format, which will not be possible by WM Player.

Guyz - I am back again with another strange, unique and inexplicable issue. Let's see how many around here is able to find a fix for it!
To make it more mysterious, it gets back to normal when I format / reload the songs in the Pen Drive and play it again. But, at the same time this issue would occur again, when I disconnect the pen drive, like earlier. So, after it's disconnected / connected to Laptop / reconnected to HU, it either works wonder or bad. Any clue till now? Or gone mad???!!! [;)]
2. One thing is very clear that the USB flash pen drive gets bad or unstable sectors either at the time of reading or loading a data say a music file.
Reading by your stock HU and Transfer / loading of data by your laptop. Agreed?
Your laptop may not be the reason as every time re-formatting the pen drive and transferring the data from your source (laptop) makes the songs play well.

My analysis pin points to your stock HU.
Every time you remove the pen drive, it corrupts the USB file sector. It may be due to inconsistent & improper power supply /voltage at the time of disconnection.
To substantiate my findings, I would request you to try your pen drive in another FIGO, I am sure it would never occur.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #218

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Dear Figoian

Please permit me to share our discussion that had occurred at your thread for the benefit of visitors to my thread too.

The idea of sharing this thread with you was, being pretty sure that will get some informative response and it does [:D] Thanks for the response Dr.

I have tried 2 different Pen Drives, and the issue is persistent. However, it's inconsistent in both. Means, SQ varies only at times and not all times.

So, be that the case, any idea on the possible fixture?

I would, surely when I get a chance. However, the core issue is, the issue don't show up all the time. What if it would work well when I try it in another Figo like it does in mine and again, it may not work well if I try another time?

Yes. Figoian.
This is the only way:

1. Take two pen drives, reformat it to fat 32 file format, copy some & same good songs in both the pen drive. You use ‘A’ pen drive for few days and give the ‘B’ to your friend who owns FORD FIGO or to a reliable person @ FORD ASS and check. Wait for your chance, the moment you get the problem check with other.

and / or

2. Check the voltage with multimeter @ USB holder of the HU. Study while the car running, at stop, USB switched off mode while disconnecting. compare the test reading between you and another FF H.U.

If you suspect anything as we discussed, the HU may need servicing.

@ Dr MUDHAN : There is no misunderstanding sir and you need not apologise.

I have got my refund from ebay and the product is now not visible on the site. Will go this weekend and have a look myself.

Hye Dr Mudhan. i'm from Malaysia and very interested in your forum about Honda City since i'm also a proud owner of honda city[clap]

Just want to ask whether you got any recommendation for customize car cover for our beloved honda city?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #221

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Dr Mudhan. i'm from Malaysia and very interested in your forum about Honda City since i'm also a proud owner of honda city[clap]
Just want to ask whether you got any recommendation for customize car cover for our beloved honda city?
Thanks sapidin for your interest over my thread. Please refer the page no.13 ( 9th January 2014, 10:05 PM & 10th January 2014, 11:10 AM), you will find information about car covers. I hope that will help you to decide the type of cover which will suit your requirements.

Dr Mudhan, Brilliant write up and the passion with which all DIY has been done is commendable.
I am a regular member on team bhp forum for last 7 years and recently joined here.
I had put the delivery of my amaze on hold in nov after hearing the near launch of city 2014.
So, most probably will be getting New city instead of amaze after a TD on coming monday.
Will surely take your valuable inputs regarding the upgrades once i get it.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #223

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Dr Mudhan, Brilliant write up and the passion with which all DIY has been done is commendable.Cheers!
Thanks, harry10 for your heartfelt appreciation.
Welcome to TAI & let us share more interesting information. Yes, that’s a best decision.
Wish you to see soon with ANHC 2014.

Thread Starter #224

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XXVIII:

HOW DO I MAKE MY WHITE CAR SHINE?​

Albus.jpg

World’s Most Popular Car Color:

The World’s Most Popular Car Color is Still White; which is yours?

The most popular car in the world for the 2013 model year was white. Again.
That’s because 20% of North America’s car buyers drove off in white vehicles last year. Black and silver were also popular–17% of buyers preferred these shades. Blue ranked fourth (13%) and gray rounded out the top five (12%).
What’s so great about white? Special pigments called “white effects” can subtly alter a variety of shades, allowing drivers to express their personal styles. Car colors with altered white tones include “Performance White” on the Ford Mustang, Lexus IS 250′s “Starfire Pearl” and “Calla White” on the Audi Q7. This is the second year white has topped the list.
Silver and black tied for second at 18% each, according to the annual date on vehicles built data, followed by gray, red, natural hues, blue and green which stayed the course from 2012.
But some Americans are showing more daring. There is a growing appetite for red and blue, especially on sporty models and blue could move up the ranks in 2014.

Why ‘ALBUS’ ?

Before, I discuss to share my way of car maintenance, I want to tell the reason why I named my car ALBUS.
ALBIN: English name derived from Latin Albinus, meaning "like Albus," i.e. "white."
I view white as clean, fresh ,cold and free feeling. White snow is beautiful pure and cold.
As said by NegraBerry “White makes me feel clean and serene but above all white brings about a glow of newness; It says, "Let's begin again."

Of course for some, white is a boring color & nothing exciting. I would say that they would be right as they do not know how to make a white color exciting.

How do I make white color exciting?

I have been wanting to make my white car glossy and extra ordinarily shinny.
It would not be very difficult to make a dark color car sparkling but making a white car …. You need to explore more!
I have seen one white Mercedes Benz (referred in my other thread - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...83-exhaustive-guide-car-detailing-basics.html), reflecting rainbow shinning.
White cars are of different shades and coats – artic white, pearl white, taffeta white and so on; Car colors with altered white tones include “Performance White” on the Ford Mustang, Lexus IS 250′s “Starfire Pearl” and “Calla White” on the Audi Q7.
I continue to explore for my Albus, it is getting better and better, but still, I have to reach the best!

But the truth is that every one of us to agree:
The shinning glaze is not just because of the polish it has. It is more of the outside temperature, air moisture, shade & light effect and the weather.
The so called wet coat will be more felt in temperate zones, hill tracks and monsoon seasons when the air has moisture.

Daily :

I dust it out with Micro Fiber cloth
I clean with Japasu duster
Clean again with another MF cloth, applying mild pressure to remove finger marks.
Clean my chrome parts
Clean by the antistatic brush the alloy wheels spokes & Clean them with a separate MFcloth
Dust out the foot mats used.
Have a separate cleaning cloth, one for
1. Bonnet, roof, dickey and upper body 2. Bottom line 3. Glass 4. Alloy Wheel 5. Tyres &
6. Foot mat
( In case of bird droppings, I put over it water soaked plain tissue paper few seconds (not the alcoholic face tissue) and gently rub out with the damp MF cloth)

Weekly:

As daily, plus:
I keep a water spray can. This will be useful to clean simple superficial stain over the wax coat. I would advise you to keep one ONR&S shampoo, a must have in your daily spray bottle (10ml/ litre of water) to clean day today dirt on the body, alloy spokes as well.
I Keep always AMWAY Silicone Glaze, it is a wonderful liquid. Really! It helps to easily clean the tar stain, the dirty marks behind the door handles, bird droppings stain, Shine the chrome parts; remove Paint oxidation and to remove double side tape sticky paste.
Brush all air vents & clean the interiors with MF cloth.
Wash the foot mats.

Monthly:

I use simple car shampoos like ABRO premium gold & ONR/S. Clean the car wherever needed with AMWAY Silicone Glaze.
Engine bay, bonnets, door trims (require cleaning wiping the water droplets whenever wash the car)

Quarterly

I wait for my car to return from Honda service. Whatever best they do, I always felt it was incomplete. Their standard wash & wax never lasts for more days.
One thing I find that the inner door side / handle fabric somehow get soiled after every service. That’s the problem with the beige interiors. Believe it or not, the Colin glass cleaner liquid cleans wonderfully well. Seat cover stains can easily be removed by AMWAY Silicone Glaze.

Once in three months I prepare the paint surface revert to my satisfaction:
Prepare the paint surface –
ONR shampoo , AMWAY Silicone Glaze, top up with Klasse Sealant.
Formation ( over a period of time ) of the dark dirty yellow line below the running board and just below the bumper borders are removed by fine rubbing compound.

Thrice yearly

Once in 4 to 6 months, I concentrate complete paint care by detailing which I will write in detail in my other thread.

I am desperate to make my white car shine, to shine extraordinarily. I want to achieve the rain bow shine. I don’t know whether it would be possible on nonmetallic taffeta white shade. It may be possible on a pearl white shade but my efforts are continuing...

Yes. Now some of the world best car care products are available in India from:

Detailed Clean India - Car Care Products | Car Detailing Products India

I am going to try the acclaimed product for white / light color cars, the POORBOYS White Diamond Glaze & Nattys Paste Wax. Also, I am searching a good machine from this site as my hand aches after work.

But it is always a pleasure to see your car out of your hard work,

Is not it?

Read more here.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...83-exhaustive-guide-car-detailing-basics.html

CAR CARE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Mudhan said:
PART XXVIII:

HOW DO I MAKE MY WHITE CAR SHINE?
Excellent write up on your cleaning/shining schedule sir. Never knew that white is the famous car color before reading this post.

I initially thought you liked the character "Albus Dumbledore" from HarryPotter and thus you named the car. Did not know the Latin meaning.

It is great to see a person taking such good care of the car. Truly reflects your effort in the pics you have uploaded.

Top Bottom