My New Diesel Hatch: Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O)

Hey guys,
As I mentioned in my earlier post, today my dad and I went to check out the grand i10 diesel but my dad was leaning towards i20 diesel the reason being that our new car would be used for city and monthly highway trips (300-500 kms one way, no more than that) as well. So he thought the 3 cylinder engine of grand would be weak.

Can someone help me out with the confusion on which car to buy grand or i20? Also, the on-road price of i20 diesel asta here in Nagpur is 9 somthing lakhs which is a whooping 1.5 lakhs approx more than grand i10 diesel asta.

Will grand give better performance on highway or should I shell out the extra bucks and get the i20?

Thread Starter #17
I20 sports has similar equipment level as grand asta(o),you miss out only passenger airbag,its around 50k more than grand asta(o),after discounts.i thought i would get a bigger powerful car paying 50k more,but following points made me reject i20 after TD
1)Highway stability is not as good as grand
2)Bouncy ride,and it thuds on potholes due to soft suspension
3)brakes are less superior than grand
4)better mileage in grand
5)rear seat legroom i found similar or slightly more in Grand

Positives of i20 over grand
1)more powerful engine(but unsatisfying dynamics to make use of it)
2)more boot space and better supportive front seats

Hey friend, first of all congrats on your new car. it looks great.

Tell me how is the rear ac vent. is that has a separate unit by itself or just blower vent located there? if it is just a ac vent how is the quality of AC cooling in rear seat.

if it is separte unit how is the pickup when both front and rear AC is on?

Self discovered feature: Power window functions for certain time(30sec) after switching off the engine,this was not mentioned in brochure.

@Hyundai car owners: if theres any extra features/tricks please share
The feature is not clear. Do you mean Auto Roll-up? that means after switching on the engine, after some time the windows will roll-up automatically. is that the feature you are talking?

Thread Starter #19
Its not just a blower like in sunny or scala,cabin cools quickly,couldnt make difference in power with ac on.

Not auto roll up,you can use power window buttons for 30 seconds after switching off the engine

Its not just a blower like in sunny or scala,cabin cools quickly,couldnt make difference in power with ac on.

Not auto roll up,you can use power window buttons for 30 seconds after switching off the engine
Ok. I got it.

N number of time i had faced this problem. Before parking the car in portico for better guidance from my family members I will roll down the windows. after parking without realizing that the windows are open I will switch off the car. then I will realize that the windows are open and obliviously I may not use the power button since the engine is switched off. again I will switch on, roll up the windows then come out of the car.

The feature you have in grand is really good.

nkonamme; Not auto roll up said:
Ok. I got it.

N number of time i had faced this problem. Before parking the car in portico for better guidance from my family members I will roll down the windows. after parking without realizing that the windows are open I will switch off the car. then I will realize that the windows are open and obliviously I may not use the power button since the engine is switched off. again I will switch on, roll up the windows then come out of the car.

The feature you have in grand is really good.
Hi nkonamme & sethumurugan,
just to add more even if one takes longer than 30seconds we dont have to restart the engine in Grand. Press the power button without depressing clutch pedal and car is in ON mode, push the button once again and its in ACC mode where in power is available for all accessories. push it once again and it is in OFF mode. Finally clutch + power button engine START.

Thread Starter #22
just to add more even if one takes longer than 30seconds we dont have to restart the engine in Grand. Press the power button without depressing clutch pedal and car is in ON mode, push the button once again and its in ACC mode where in power is available for all accessories. push it once again and it is in OFF mode. Finally clutch + power button engine START.
yes,power windows will work for 30 seconds when you switch off from ACC mode also.

I20 sports has similar equipment level as grand asta(o),you miss out only passenger airbag,its around 50k more than grand asta(o),after discounts.i thought i would get a bigger powerful car paying 50k more,but following points made me reject i20 after TD
1)Highway stability is not as good as grand
2)Bouncy ride,and it thuds on potholes due to soft suspension
3)brakes are less superior than grand
4)better mileage in grand
5)rear seat legroom i found similar or slightly more in Grand

Positives of i20 over grand
1)more powerful engine(but unsatisfying dynamics to make use of it)
2)more boot space and better supportive front seats
I would not opt for i20 sportz as it only has driver side airbag and on highway run my driver would be driving the car so I will have to opt for i20 asta.

Anyways, based on the cons that you mentioned for i20 I think I will now have to convince my dad to think about grand.

Also, if by chance you take your grand on the highway this weekend do post the performance which you get on the grand as it will help me take a better decision.

Last edited:
This is an excellent feature.. As Sethu said, I have faced the same issue time and again to switch on the battery to close the power windows. Good to know that Hyundai is considering these minor details.

Thread Starter #26
@venkythaniks: Initially I had forgotten to close the window and switched off the engine,later simply I used power window button and it worked[clap]
Thats how discovered this useful feature

Today I went to the hyundai showroom to look for the finance options for grand crdi asta.

OTR here in nagpur is 757,528/-
I am taking a loan for 550,000/- and HDFC gave me a quote of:
17,940 for 3 yrs or 11,960 for 5 yrs.
processing fee 4850 (but the hdfc agent said he will give a 50% discount on this amount)
stamp duty 0.3% of loan amount + 100/-
Here with HDFC I have to pay EMI for 2 yrs after which if I want to foreclose there will be an extra 3% on the remaining principal amount.

I also went to Shriram Urban Co-op Bank where I have my CC account and they said for 550,000 loan amount the EMI for 7 yrs will come around 8900/-.
Here I have to pay the EMI for 6 months after which if I want to close the loan account there won`t be any foreclosure charges.

So which one is the best loan out of these two? Given that I might close the loan after a year.

Coming to the colour I am leaning towards Wine Red but will consult with my Mom & Dad before making any decision.

I also went to Shriram Urban Co-op Bank where I have my CC account and they said for 550,000 loan amount the EMI for 7 yrs will come around 8900/-.
Here I have to pay the EMI for 6 months after which if I want to close the loan account there won`t be any foreclosure charges.
Tripranav,

It is always better to go for the one which does not have any foreclosure charges.

Also to opt for the best option, did Shriram provide you the EMI for the 3yr and 5 yr tenure similar to HDFC. This would make the comparison much easier.

Top Bottom