Jeep Compass Now Launched in India

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Jeep Compass Spied in India

Autocar says it will be around 22-25 and there estimate is always closer to the actual price. The main point is the localisation of the product so cost should be low.
Thats Ex showroom and not counting variants,taxes etc
Otherwise even Tucson is 19L ex-showroom for base variant[cry]

Thread Starter #32

Jeep compass unveiling!

C9MKw7MU0AEd4x9.jpg

Capture.JPG

-2 Engine Options - (1.4L Multi Air Petrol & 2.0L Diesel)
-Petrol gets 6 speed MT and a dual clutch 7 speed AT ( dual clutch 7 speed AT)
-Diesel in 2WD and 4WD - in MT only

The Jeep compass is powerd by 1.4 litre petrol engine produces 106 hp and 205 nm and 2.0 diesel engine litre churns 170 hp anmd 350 nm. The tranmission options 6 speed manual and 7 speed automatic

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended

No diesel AT??? [frustration]
Tucson it is for my dad unless I get a deal on any of the Germans somehow

Edit- I dont see any information on other sites for no diesel AT, are you sure?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #34

Edit- I dont see any information on other sites for no diesel AT, are you sure?
Speculated an August Launch the Jeep Compass is likely to be priced between Rs 18 and 25 lakh. ( ex showroom)

there is a 2.0-litre MultiJet diesel good for 170hp and 350Nm of torque. This engine will be available in both 4x2 and 4x4 configurations. The sole gearbox on offer with this engine will be a six-speed manual unit. There will be no automatic transmission on offer,
Source - Autocar India

^^

DSG has too much lag for our conditions, even 1.2 TSI hesitates before its power kicks in, NA will always be NA
Well, Its not the engine thats the issue. Its the gearbox. The gearbox software refuses to drop down gears with the urgency needed. It'll hesitate to shift down when you floor the throttle, then decides ok it will and shift down, after that the progress is blisteringly fast.

Its just that hesitation to shift down that feels like lack of power. Not the turbolag.

BTW, Fiats engines are not devoid of any lag. Its the gearing that makes you feel it doesnt have any.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

they didn't mention the price ? feature list is good. OD's report suggest starting price of 16 lakhs ex showroom. autocar's suggests 22 lakhs - 25 lakhs( maybe on road)

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended

I still am appalled they arent offering AT in diesel
First Tucson 2wd and now this [cry] Which car are we supposed to buy

^^
I never mentioned engines above the 3.5L V6, also VW steering is far from precise, its more like Honda itself
My dad owned a 2nd gen Superb TSI manual, I pretty much know what Im talking about
DSG has too much lag for our conditions, even 1.2 TSI hesitates before its power kicks in, NA will always be NA

Exceptions include Fiat's Multijet, MultiAir and T-Jet, they barely have any lag and act like NA till the turbo kicks in , you never feel the lag whatsoever

As for driving stability etc, VW feels very stiff. I have driven Germans and Japs extensively and have never felt Japs felt "unstable" at all. Honda provides a fantastic balance.
This is wayy OT anyways
I mean DSG has too much lag, buddy are you kidding?
See VWs DSG is worlds fastest gearbox, I have driven City CVT and its frankly utter CRAP compared to VW 1.2 TSi DSG , there is no competition here the DSG is too much for Honda to even dream of, its in such a different league, and its not just me saying this, I believe all the videos I posted above too mention how PATHETIC is Hondas CVT or torque converters when compared to VWs DSG, and the DQ200 in new Polo GT TSi is insane quick, sure it does have some issues at stop start traffic but elsewhere its far far superior to Hondas strained rubber band CVT and is loads more fun as well.
And NA is always NA, I too like NA engines but a well tuned turbo charged engine is always better than NA engines, yes WELL TUNED turbo charged engine,
one example here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSHL5_yIvII
more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixE8QmzWh5s
more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BI2j7-9q88
more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbdJAfcf3AQ
Just to give more info here, the Speciale has 600 HP 4.5l FPC NA V8 has just 1420 kg dry kerb weight and insane fast 7 speed Getrag 650 DCT gearbox, the Porsche has just 550 bhp from a 4l FPC TT flat six motor with 7 speed PDK(essentially its VWs gearbox itself but slightly different ) and weighs 1580 kg , see how much a turbo motor can pull out from worlds most powerful NA V8 the Ferrari 4.5l V8, so how come Hondas iVTEC be so ingeniously better than turbo powered 1.2 TSi?
And how much contrary can you get to real FACTS, biddy FIATs Multijet, MultiAir and Tjet are the most insane turbo laggy motors , I mean the Fiat Linea T jet feels so damn sluggish that there is no boost till 2200 rpm, I ve driven it a lot and I can safely say that VWs Jetta with 1.4 TSI felt far more sprightly and energetic than Linea T Jet despite the T Jet being ~ 140 kg lighter than Jetta TSi, multi jet,multi air and multi air are the turbo lag KINGS, regarding multi jet, the Brezza 90 PS is such a slouch below 2000 rpm, I almost felt like I stalled it, that crazy turbo lag, and the only multi jet application where I felt turbol ag was well contained was in SWift DDis and Tata Bolt and Zest, the S Cross 1.3 is another car that one must drive to take lessons on turbo lag,

I do agree that VW Polo GT TSi should have had a manual rather than DSG and if it had one, again the Honda wouldnt even see which way the Polo went, the DSG does shift own its own at times killing the fun, still way better than Hondas pathetic CVT

Now regarding stability and handling , Honda is good, but its not as good as VW by any means, yes they do have a stiff ride, but so does the new City, the new City is stiff and yet isnt involving to drive like Rapid/Vento, stability too is OK but with those skinny 175 section tires its no way near as good as what the stock Vento/Rapid/Fiesta/Linea provides,again please do review the videos posted earlier, I mean not just 1, but more than 5 reviews and all say the Honda/Toyota/Hyundai are inferior to Germans in ride and handling, so do you think all are PAID to say this? from the seat of my pants experience too Hondas are just average handling cars, Toyotas and Nissans are sub par Maruti Suzuki has some bright stars here and there like the Swift and old Baleno, Suzuki 1000 etc but in general make boring but fairly reliable cars.

Well, Its not the engine thats the issue. Its the gearbox. The gearbox software refuses to drop down gears with the urgency needed. It'll hesitate to shift down when you floor the throttle, then decides ok it will and shift down, after that the progress is blisteringly fast.

Its just that hesitation to shift down that feels like lack of power. Not the turbolag.

BTW, Fiats engines are not devoid of any lag. Its the gearing that makes you feel it doesnt have any.
Yes true and I too have noticed that DSGs at times get confused in stop and go traffic, which is something only keen observation will notice, also the DSG at times have a tendency to shift gears UP even when the need is to stay in the lower gear for some more time, but suddenly it understands there is more demand for torque and it downshifts back, at times while in inclines etc this happens, but apart from these I am yet to drive a car with a more perfect gear logic and shift speed, I ve driven Audi A3 2.0 TDi DSG and W40 gen Mercedes E 350 Class as well with dual clutch and Laura 1.8TSi,Jetta 1.4 TSi Manual and 2.0 TDI MT and DSG as well and new Corolla 1.8 VVT CVT and 1.4 D4D manual as well and I for one still stand by this, for the money one pays no Automatic gear box is better than VWs DSG, not even BMWs ZF.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended

Why not Endeavour ?
Comes with AT in 2wd too. Much better and VFM than Tuscon anyday.
Endeavour is too large and not exactly FTD because of size etc
But believe me , my dad and I would love one in our garage but my mom doesnt want such a huge vehicle

I mean DSG has too much lag, buddy are you kidding?
See VWs DSG is worlds fastest gearbox, I have driven City CVT and its frankly utter CRAP compared to VW 1.2 TSi DSG , there is no competition here the DSG is too much for Honda to even dream of, its in such a different league, and its not just me saying this, I believe all the videos I posted above too mention how PATHETIC is Hondas CVT or torque converters when compared to VWs DSG, and the DQ200 in new Polo GT TSi is insane quick, sure it does have some issues at stop start traffic but elsewhere its far far superior to Hondas strained rubber band CVT and is loads more fun as well.
And NA is always NA, I too like NA engines but a well tuned turbo charged engine is always better than NA engines, yes WELL TUNED turbo charged engine,
one example here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSHL5_yIvII
more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixE8QmzWh5s
more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BI2j7-9q88
more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbdJAfcf3AQ
Just to give more info here, the Speciale has 600 HP 4.5l FPC NA V8 has just 1420 kg dry kerb weight and insane fast 7 speed Getrag 650 DCT gearbox, the Porsche has just 550 bhp from a 4l FPC TT flat six motor with 7 speed PDK(essentially its VWs gearbox itself but slightly different ) and weighs 1580 kg , see how much a turbo motor can pull out from worlds most powerful NA V8 the Ferrari 4.5l V8, so how come Hondas iVTEC be so ingeniously better than turbo powered 1.2 TSi?
And how much contrary can you get to real FACTS, biddy FIATs Multijet, MultiAir and Tjet are the most insane turbo laggy motors , I mean the Fiat Linea T jet feels so damn sluggish that there is no boost till 2200 rpm, I ve driven it a lot and I can safely say that VWs Jetta with 1.4 TSI felt far more sprightly and energetic than Linea T Jet despite the T Jet being ~ 140 kg lighter than Jetta TSi, multi jet,multi air and multi air are the turbo lag KINGS, regarding multi jet, the Brezza 90 PS is such a slouch below 2000 rpm, I almost felt like I stalled it, that crazy turbo lag, and the only multi jet application where I felt turbol ag was well contained was in SWift DDis and Tata Bolt and Zest, the S Cross 1.3 is another car that one must drive to take lessons on turbo lag,

I do agree that VW Polo GT TSi should have had a manual rather than DSG and if it had one, again the Honda wouldnt even see which way the Polo went, the DSG does shift own its own at times killing the fun, still way better than Hondas pathetic CVT

Now regarding stability and handling , Honda is good, but its not as good as VW by any means, yes they do have a stiff ride, but so does the new City, the new City is stiff and yet isnt involving to drive like Rapid/Vento, stability too is OK but with those skinny 175 section tires its no way near as good as what the stock Vento/Rapid/Fiesta/Linea provides,again please do review the videos posted earlier, I mean not just 1, but more than 5 reviews and all say the Honda/Toyota/Hyundai are inferior to Germans in ride and handling, so do you think all are PAID to say this? from the seat of my pants experience too Hondas are just average handling cars, Toyotas and Nissans are sub par Maruti Suzuki has some bright stars here and there like the Swift and old Baleno, Suzuki 1000 etc but in general make boring but fairly reliable cars.

Yes true and I too have noticed that DSGs at times get confused in stop and go traffic, which is something only keen observation will notice, also the DSG at times have a tendency to shift gears UP even when the need is to stay in the lower gear for some more time, but suddenly it understands there is more demand for torque and it downshifts back, at times while in inclines etc this happens, but apart from these I am yet to drive a car with a more perfect gear logic and shift speed, I ve driven Audi A3 2.0 TDi DSG and W40 gen Mercedes E 350 Class as well with dual clutch and Laura 1.8TSi,Jetta 1.4 TSi Manual and 2.0 TDI MT and DSG as well and new Corolla 1.8 VVT CVT and 1.4 D4D manual as well and I for one still stand by this, for the money one pays no Automatic gear box is better than VWs DSG, not even BMWs ZF.
TLDR This is off topic and you obviously hate Honda,Hyundai,Nissan,Toyota. Stop being so elitist, people enjoy cars from any brand
DSG has poor low end

Last edited:

Endeavour is too large and not exactly FTD because of size etc
But believe me , my dad and I would love one in our garage but my mom doesnt want such a huge vehicle
TLDR This is off topic and you obviously hate Honda,Hyundai,Nissan,Toyota. Stop being so elitist, people enjoy cars from any brand
DSG has poor low end
In no way buddy, I am no way a hater of these brands, I love new Toyota Innova Crysta, easily the words best MUV, really like what Toyota has done with new Innova
The new Honda Accord and Civic they have launched in US are terrific machines, but not the ones in India,
The Hyundai Tuscon is an SUV I like as well, but pity on Hyundai that they didnt deliver that AWD version for India
the Hyundai Elantra 2.0 Petrol car is also a car I will any day take over a Jetta 1.4 TSi or even a Jetta TDi as the price one pays for the diesel TDi Jetta can be used to petrol and run that smooth engine for like 1 lakh kms before we get into the buying price of Jetta TDi

But does that mean Hyundai is better, no, its my choice just because its priced lower, but technologically the German is far more superior, now I see who is the brand hater here and I cant change you because all the video evidence I posted etc shows what I mean and @kkn13 is stubborn that you wont change the opinion, its fine, because for each his own, but I will never say an inferior machine or technology is better just because its priced lower, and I cant believe @kkn13 is more wise than all the reviewers from all these auto journalists and how NA engines are better despite being far slower than a well tuned turbo charged low displacement motor, anyway since its off topic, I will leave this here, have a great day!

My questions here

1. 1.4 petrol does it have Direct Injection with Turbo or is it like the Abarth/TJET Indirect fuel Injection with Turbo?

2. Given the Torque from both engines, will a Dry clutch based Automatic be reliable?

3. Is it Monocoque or Ladder Frame Chassis, I am assuming Monocoque, so its more for smooth tarmac with occasion offroading?

Looks like a very competent vehicle.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended

In no way buddy, I am no way a hater of these brands, I love new Toyota Innova Crysta, easily the words best MUV, really like what Toyota has done with new Innova
The new Honda Accord and Civic they have launched in US are terrific machines, but not the ones in India,
The Hyundai Tuscon is an SUV I like as well, but pity on Hyundai that they didnt deliver that AWD version for India
the Hyundai Elantra 2.0 Petrol car is also a car I will any day take over a Jetta 1.4 TSi or even a Jetta TDi as the price one pays for the diesel TDi Jetta can be used to petrol and run that smooth engine for like 1 lakh kms before we get into the buying price of Jetta TDi

But does that mean Hyundai is better, no, its my choice just because its priced lower, but technologically the German is far more superior, now I see who is the brand hater here and I cant change you because all the video evidence I posted etc shows what I mean and @kkn13 is stubborn that you wont change the opinion, its fine, because for each his own, but I will never say an inferior machine or technology is better just because its priced lower, and I cant believe @kkn13 is more wise than all the reviewers from all these auto journalists and how NA engines are better despite being far slower than a well tuned turbo charged low displacement motor, anyway since its off topic, I will leave this here, have a great day!
All I can say is I dont believe in auto journalists etc, I believe in user reviews
Good day to you

Top Bottom