Hyderabad - Kannur (Kerala) in My Getz CRDI

Hi there Zengetz, recently had been to Kannur, would like to know more of your stay and the places you visited.

I think you took Mysore-Virajpet-Iritty-Taliparamba route i guess?

Update more on your visit...

i belong to hyderabad but am working at kannur. i usually drive down in my swift from kannur to hyderabad . the route i usually take is kannur-mattanur-irrity-gonikoppal-hunsur-srirangapatana-mandya-bangalore by pass NICE road-nelamangala-dodhballapur-chikballapur-devanhalli-then onto nh7 till hyderabad. it is 930 kms. i take 16 hours to cover it in one go. 4 am dep and 8 pm arrival at hyderabad. has any body got an alternative route. thanks

i belong to hyderabad but am working at kannur. i usually drive down in my swift from kannur to hyderabad . the route i usually take is kannur-mattanur-irrity-gonikoppal-hunsur-srirangapatana-mandya-bangalore by pass NICE road-nelamangala-dodhballapur-chikballapur-devanhalli-then onto nh7 till hyderabad. it is 930 kms. i take 16 hours to cover it in one go. 4 am dep and 8 pm arrival at hyderabad. has any body got an alternative route. thanks
Alternate route is via Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Sulthanbathery-Kannur route is the alternate route.

All the buses follow this route.

thanks mukeshus for the alternate route. its a longer route but after moonsoon when gonnikoppal stretch gets badly hammered it'll come handy.

Hi Mukesh, That is news to me.. i thought all the buses to Kannur from Bangalore go via Hunsur - Gonikkoppal - Makkutta - Iritty... The Gundulpet road is primarily used to go to Calicut and also it is closed for traffic (except some 3-4 government run buses) during the night..

hi, does any one know about the present road condition of the road gonnikoppal- hunsur.will be travelling from kannur to hyderabad next month around 2nd week.thanks.

hi, does any one know about the present road condition of the road gonnikoppal- hunsur.will be travelling from kannur to hyderabad next month around 2nd week.thanks.
From Virajpet-Hunsur road is in excellent condition.

Take Mysore city instead of bypass, or you can do Elivala route via that Power grid route,you will come out of that Ranganthittu route.
If you do not intend to visit Mysore.

Hi mukeshus, just wanted to check how recently have you travelled between Virajpert and Hunsur? a month or so ago, i heard this stretch is in shambles..

i'll be travelling to Kannur from Bangalore next weekend.. please let me know.

Hi mukeshus, just wanted to check how recently have you travelled between Virajpert and Hunsur? a month or so ago, i heard this stretch is in shambles..

i'll be travelling to Kannur from Bangalore next weekend.. please let me know.
Sorry for late reply, i did it via Mangalore, so no idea about this route.

Me too had heard that Irritty -Taliparamba route was not that great.

Thread Starter #41

zengetz

Suspended
Sorry guys wasn't on this thread for a while. I'm actually travelling again to Thalassery this Friday. What are the conditions like now ?

When I went last (October 2011) I took the route to Kannur via Irrity - Thallaserry - Kannur. Roads were a nightmare and my car suspension got one hell of a workout.

On my way back I came via Calicut - Sulthan Batther and the roads in the ghats especially the hairpins going upwards were in a complete mess.

Im starting on Froday evening from Hyd and plan to reach Banglore by Midnight and take a night halt before I commence my Outward journey in the early morning. I wont be taking the Bypass from Mysore as those roads were also terrible the last time I went.

Looking forward to your replies !!

Thanks !

Sorry guys wasn't on this thread for a while. I'm actually travelling again to Thalassery this Friday. What are the conditions like now ?

When I went last (October 2011) I took the route to Kannur via Irrity - Thallaserry - Kannur. Roads were a nightmare and my car suspension got one hell of a workout.

On my way back I came via Calicut - Sulthan Batther and the roads in the ghats especially the hairpins going upwards were in a complete mess.

Im starting on Froday evening from Hyd and plan to reach Banglore by Midnight and take a night halt before I commence my Outward journey in the early morning. I wont be taking the Bypass from Mysore as those roads were also terrible the last time I went.

Looking forward to your replies !!

Thanks !

on 16 th may 2012 i have travelled between kannur - hyderabad in my car. the road from kannur till hyderabad is generally good . the bad stretches are

after Iritty from Perambadi forest check post (from this junction you turn left to go to virajpet ) to bittamgala around 6-7 kms is very bad with road broken. there after till hunsur via gonnikoppal its bad at places but manageable . overall you take this direct route bangalore - ramanagaram-mandya-srirangapatam via ranganthittu-hunsur-gonnikoppal-perambadi-irrity-mattanur-kannur. have a pleasant journey.

Thread Starter #43

zengetz

Suspended
Thanks Edwin! This was the exact route I had taken last year and it on shambles !

However the route via calicut - sultan bathery was pretty decent except the Ghats before reaching sulthan bathery town. Any idea of how the ghats are now ?

PS: you mentioned you just traveled yesterday. How long did it take you ? I'm planning for a night halt at blore.

Thanks !

the Roads mysore - kannur are much better via mananthavadi. i had returned from mysore to kannur via mananthavadi . on 27th march. it was a breeze. i used this road as i had to go to muttanga wild life santuary short of sultan battery enroute. hyderabad to kannur via this road is 90 kms longer so i don't use this road to go to hyderabad. The road which i use to reach kannur from hyderabad in one day is . hyderabad NH 7 /NH 44 -devanhalli-doddballapur-nelamangala-nice road - leave nice road at mysore road exit- ramanagaram-chennapatana-maddur-mandya-srirangapatam-hunsur-gonnikoppal-perambadi-irrity-mattanur-kannur. total 940 kms leave hyderabad at 4 AM reach kannur by 8 PM. its hectic and tiring but finishes in one day. you can contine with your current plan of staying at bangalore . i do it in one day because i go to hyderabad on short leaves so halts eat into my leave period. another pointer is that if you are making it in one day, you would be driving in the ghat roads after dusk, so vehicle needs to be in excellent condition to have comfort of driving through forest area. by the way the forest check posts are open through out the night in this route. so make a choice and enjoy the drive.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #45

zengetz

Suspended
Thanks Edwin for all the info and I'll keep things posted here as soon as I can after my journey.

OT: Since you belong to Hyderabad, lets plan a meet some time whenever feasible. Cheers !

Top Bottom