Exhaustive Guide: Car Detailing Basics

Thanks @CRACING for detailed reply. Here comes my first problem. Scratch on right side doors. 2 each. It looks like somebody has intentionally scratched it with some sharp object. Looks like a clear coat scratch to me. Please have a look. How can I get rid of it
IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1089.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks @CRACING for detailed reply. Here comes my first problem. Scratch on right side doors. 2 each. It looks like somebody has intentionally scratched it with some sharp object. Looks like a clear coat scratch to me. Please have a look. How can I get rid of it
Incase its deep (Can be felt by fingers), we'll not be able to fix it as it requires paint application.

Using compound or scratch remover, it is possible to reduce the length of scratch but still lost paint cannot be recovered. I suggest to get touch-up paint from ASC instead. After a month or two, you can use apply little compound+polish to make it even.

Incase its deep (Can be felt by fingers), we'll not be able to fix it as it requires paint application.

Using compound or scratch remover, it is possible to reduce the length of scratch but still lost paint cannot be recovered. I suggest to get touch-up paint from ASC instead. After a month or two, you can use apply little compound+polish to make it even.
I can feel it with fingers but does not look too deep. Can I lighten them up, Don not want to a touch up or repaint so early in life of the car, barely 20 days.

What thing can I use to lighten them if not completely remove. Any suggestions?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I can feel it with fingers but does not look too deep. Can I lighten them up, Don not want to a touch up or repaint so early in life of the car, barely 20 days.

What thing can I use to lighten them if not completely remove. Any suggestions?
Try using the brake oil. The brake oil helps a lot in reducing the visibility of scratches to a good extent. I did a desi test too, used Mustard Oil as well at times and it too worked well for me. You need to rub the oil for 3-4 minutes on the scratch.

Regards

Akash

Try using the brake oil. The brake oil helps a lot in reducing the visibility of scratches to a good extent. I did a desi test too, used Mustard Oil as well at times and it too worked well for me. You need to rub the oil for 3-4 minutes on the scratch.

Regards

Akash
You would not believe it, I was reading about use of brake oil on scratch in Team-bhp and somebody opposed it saying it work as paint remover.
Can try mustard oil trick though

Akash1886

Honoured Member
You would not believe it, I was reading about use of brake oil on scratch in Team-bhp and somebody opposed it saying it work as paint remover.
Can try mustard oil trick though
Brake Oil if used hot might lead to paint removing but if you use brake oil from a bottle it wont harm the paint. I used brake oil since the days of my Premier Padmini. Mustard oil is effective too.

Excuse for the video quality, I had used the brake oil to remove the bumper scratch in my sister's SX4 which I had. The result is reasonable and this method can be used only on small scratches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP1oEIbvZ7Y

Regards

Akash

You have "Nulon scratch and swirl remover" right? If so, try it and see if it works.
I saw the scratch this morning only, Took the sobby MF(blue one) and dabbed Nulon scratch remover on it, rubbed it applying pressure using finger lightly on the mark in circular motion. It has not worked or may be I have not used it patiently and with more pressure. I rubbed it only for 30 second. Either I have to take more of it and rub it for more time to see the difference. As was getting late in the morning. Will try it again tomorrow morning.

One thing I have noticed is the liquid have been soaked by MF leaving only the powdery substance on the top, which may not have worked well. Will try to apply it with bare finger in circular motion

Brake Oil if used hot might lead to paint removing but if you use brake oil from a bottle it wont harm the paint. I used brake oil since the days of my Premier Padmini. Mustard oil is effective too.

Excuse for the video quality, I had used the brake oil to remove the bumper scratch in my sister's SX4 which I had. The result is reasonable and this method can be used only on small scratches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP1oEIbvZ7Y

Regards

Akash
Thanks for the video, I do not have access to brake oil as of now, will try with mustard oil first, if Nulon doesn't work then will try this one as well

I saw the scratch this morning only, Took the sobby MF(blue one) and dabbed Nulon scratch remover on it, rubbed it applying pressure using finger lightly on the mark in circular motion. It has not worked or may be I have not used it patiently and with more pressure. I rubbed it only for 30 second. Either I have to take more of it and rub it for more time to see the difference. As was getting late in the morning. Will try it again tomorrow morning.

One thing I have noticed is the liquid have been soaked by MF leaving only the powdery substance on the top, which may not have worked well. Will try to apply it with bare finger in circular motion
You have to work long enough to take out the clear coat but don't put more pressure and don't rub dry. Microfiber cloth is soft and it won't cut so only product has to do the work. Incase it doesn't make difference, then the paint has stripped and touch-up or repainting is the only way.

You have to work long enough to take out the clear coat but don't put more pressure and don't rub dry. Microfiber cloth is soft and it won't cut so only product has to do the work. Incase it doesn't make difference, then the paint has stripped and touch-up or repainting is the only way.
That why I am thinking to apply using finger instead as MF will not help applying the scratch remover. Any thoughts what can be used other than MF if not finger

I think foam polishing pad would work better.
That's one thing i have not ordered til now, waiting for price of megs pad to come down on amazon . 509 rs looks killer of a price. [frustration]

Will try it with finger or damp MF, so that it does not absorb the liquid of scratch remover.

I am hopeful that it will lighten up as it doesn't look that black as looking in the picture.

Also, i read in 1 article, even if you can feel with scratch but it does not catch finger nail, it can be curable without retouch/paint. Will check it with finger nail

Top Bottom