Hyundai Verna CRDI - My Ownership Experience!

Thread Starter #1
Hello to all TAI members!! Sorry for being a little late on my ownership report ,waited to gather some information about the writing procedure. now having got an idea am starting now!! My verna is a base model CRDI silver grey colour!! please bear with my english and writing style!![:)]

Date of purchase: I bought my car on 1/10/2009.Though my car is a second hand car the very looks of it suggest that it is a new car. It was very neatly and well maintained by the previous owner. the car is a year old before i got it and clocked 24k kms on the odo!! before the day of purchase i was very excited and had a sleepless night. on the day of purchase i had to wait for my dad till evening to get the money from someone . so my excitement soon turned into frustration and doubts started creeping in my mind whether i will be able to get my hands on that ride that day!! fortunately after much struggle my dad got the money(we paid 6 lakhs for my car in a single payment , my dad doesn like installments) and it was almost 6 in the evening when i got the keys!!Memorable day that was!!

Exterior looks: At first i didnt like the looks of my verna!! i wanted a black verna very badly but my mom was saying some kind of sentiments so i finally agreed to buy any colour other than black!! The very first thing i noticed was my ride was fitted with alloy wheels!! i was very happy seeing this!! My dad had told me earlier that he wont give even a single penny for changing to alloy wheels as he said it was just pure waste of money(right wat he said was valid , we use it for style and show off only don we??[;)]) . So i immediately said to my dad that i liked this car . apart from this there are only a few faintly visible scratches in the rear left door and one in the left side of the bumper . Not a big dent anywhere so i liked the car and agreed to it!! Then finally i got this same car after a week!!

Apart from this , from a general point of view this looks somewat korean. i didnt like the complete design of the car. And the biggest disadvantage is the wide outside rear view mirrors. You have to be very careful when driving in crowded and narrow streets else you are going to end up changing the whole thing!!

Interiors: Well we are a TATA family for around 12 years now(owned tata sierra for 10 years and now safari for 2 years) ,the moment i stepped into the cabin i liked the quality of the interiors and also the fit and finish and the generous use of beige all over!! no offense meant to all TATA vehicle owners!! All the dashboard knobs and A/C vents were good. my base model didnt have a central armrest. I sorely miss this as this was very useful when i was driving my safari. one more which we miss in verna are no rear A/c vents. this is really frustrating because the front gets cooled easily but it takes to cool at the rear. by the time the rear cools , you start shivering in the front!! Apart from this the seats are very comfortable both front and rear. i am almost 6 feet 2 inches tall and i can sit in the driver's seat very comfortably. The maximum capacity of this car is only 5. the rear can seat only 3. the rear mirror is very large so reversing in this vehicle was very easy when compared to my safari!!

Driving and performance: this is what i like in this car!! The diesel engine is ultra smooth and silent!! when i was going out with my friends for first time and told them it was a diesel they were shocked!! Yes, its really smooth and has excellent pick-up and can match with some of the petrol engines!! I hav not taken my verna for long trips but till wat i have driven in city right now , it feels comfortable. the turbo lag below 1800rpm can be a bit of trouble while driving in city . But after that you can feel the instant surge in power which never drops till you reach 120kmph thanks to the VGT. i had a chance to travel around 150km in highways in my car , i must admit that this car is just awesome in highways . With the power of 110BHP under the hood you can feel the power of this car. My personal top speed is 175kmph and its very stable at this speed though the steering becomes very light and sensitive . the cabin noise is low even at high speeds. no stability issues even in curves at high speeds . Overall a good car for cruising in the highway!!

Braking: After driving the safari for around six months , when i first braked in my car during my TD first up before buying i was shocked to see the car coming to halt instantly . Yes, the brakes are very assuring and have the bite in them even during hard braking. I initially for the first few weeks was afraid braking my car but now have become used to it!!

Boot space: I was shocked to see such a huge boot space in verna!! Trust me it can swallows loads of luggages with ease!! Even my dad felt the same thing after seeing it!! It can accomodate enough luggages for a one week trip which i feel is more than enough for a sedan!

Fuel consumption: This is the best part of this car!! Yes, this car gives 13-15kmpl in the city with A/C on full time and full load and as i have not taken for a highway run couldnt comment on that!! from what my friend having this same car told , it gives 20kmpl in the highways with A/C on.

Service: I had done only one service till now in my car which i did immediately the next day of my purchase . KUN HYUNDAI checked the service records of my car in their database and said my car was due for service . they said the engine oil needs to be changed and all the filters also needs to be changed as the vehicle was last serviced at 18k more than 6 months back. so i agreed to them and left my car for service . i got my vehicle the next day evening itself with a bill of 5k. they had changed the engine oil and all other filters , adjusted the brakes both front and rear and also checked for wheel alignment. overall service was good and they gave my car back even before the specified time!!

Accessories: Well the car came fitted with PIONEER head unit( cd mp3 player with AUX in port) and pio speakers in the front along with 350W pio speakers at rear!! I have not made any mods to my cars till now!! Its already fitted with alloy wheels as i mentioned!! and sorry i dont know the cost as well the brand of the alloys also!!![:D]

Pros:
Excellent engine
Good Fuel efficiency
Good comfort

Cons:

Lack of air bags even in the top-end model
no rear A/C vents
wide external rear view mirrors

Will post pics soon after my sem exam gets over!!!Hope i have covered everything in my review!!

Cooldhaya,

Very nicely written [:)]. As usual the next question: Pics please!! You have uploaded only one pic in the inventory.

Cheers,
Vroom

Thread Starter #3
THanks bro will upload now!! but pics are low quality ones taken from my mob cam and it has some prob with it!!! i Will click few pics in my digicam and upload ASAP!!!

Thread Starter #4
Some pics taken during the first day with my car!! I will take a few more in my digicam diring my sem hols and post them!!! and as i said there is some prob with my mob camera so please adjust with the quality.

Excellent review. Yes pictures are needed.

For color, even i like Black the most but in my case it was my wife, so i have to agree on Red.

Verna engine is known for its performance, but it has good mileage also. Rear A/C vents are certainly required for big cars.
----------Next Post------------
I see the pictures now.
Nice alloys.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
And i also forgot to mention in CONS that verna lets out black smoke from the exhaust under hard acceleration!! Many people say its a common problem in verna but going to report to KUN HYUNDAI this problem when i service my car next time.

And i also forgot to mention in CONS that verna lets out black smoke from the exhaust under hard acceleration!! Many people say its a common problem in verna but going to report to KUN HYUNDAI this problem when i service my car next time.
I think all Diesel engine does that. I have not seen in my Punto, but i heard even Punto/Vista/Swift (all 1.3 MJD) does same when pressed hard. But please confirm with your service advisor and let us also know.

Thread Starter #9
Sure RSM!! but the next service due for my vehicle is a long way ahead as my service just now got over!!

Nice Review & cool Pics!

And the color Problem exists in almost all the families :)

Luckily no constraints for me!!

Nice review! Yeah, the car doesn't look like a used car. Lucky, you got alloys with the car. I've noticed smoke under hard acceleration in many vernas. Actually if it is a diesel, you can pretty much expect the smoke.

I've seen smoke coming from our Swift, but its only a little under hard acceleration. Smoke depends on lots of factors, quality of fuel, individual gearing and driving pattern, etc.. If you're not in the right gear, you can see lots of smoke. Excessive throttle will also result in more smoke.

Top Bottom