6 Cyl. Turbo + 410 NM Torque + 7 Wheels = ??? (Pics Pg.3)

Thread Starter #1
Okay guys, now you may have guessed what i am talking about!

right, i am talking about a BUS! many here would be knowing that we are purchasing two Ashok leyland buses for tour purposes & here i would like to share the experience of buying & customizing a bus.

why customizing? because normally only the chassis of a bus is purchased from the company & the body + interiors is built by some other firm, depending on your requirements. yes, fully body built buses are available but they are nowhere as luxurious or stylish as custom built buses.

firstly, let me share some specs of the chassis:

make: ashok leyland 4/89 222"
engine: hino series BSII 6 Cyl turbocharged intercooled diesel
max power: 84 KS @ 2400 RPM
max torque: 410 NM @ 1700-1800 RPM
transmission: 5 speed synchromesh
steering: power assisted
brakes: full air dual line

dimensions (in mm):
wheelbase: 5639
length: 10859
ground clearance: 249
turning circle radius: 11060

now, why ashok leyland & not tata or eicher?
AL buses have proven its worth down south. they are known to be the best for highways & also considered to be very reliable & fuel efficient.

why not volvo?
volvo buses are opted only for inter city travels. people opting for contract carriages within the city dont prefer volvos as it will turn out to be too expensive for them!

once the bus is fitted, next comes air suspension. AS is generally fitted on the rear wheels only. there are many brands of AS in indian market and also many firms who does the installation. infact, A.L. supplies its own AS as a dealer fitment.

after the AS is fitted, next comes the body & interiors. again there are many firms available & we opted for prakash which is based in bangalore. our deal with them is confirmed & we have selected the bus specifications, some details as mentioned below:
1) 49 seater with armrests
2) seperation between driver & passenger cabin
3) 8 JBL speakers + LCD TV provided by me
4) ABS made interiors which include side walls, luggage compartment & top
5) ABS made driver dashboard
6) metallic painting with graphics

More details + specifications + pictures would be added soon...

350Z

Core Team
That is great raj. Tata has recently acquired another brand, You can check those buses too! Anyways, From what all modifications you have mentioned, Looks like you have almost turned Ashok Leyland Bus to Volvo Levels!

Can you tell us the pricing of these buses like Ashok Leyland, Volvos, Tatas etc, ...No! I'm not planning to buy one
Just out of curosity. I've rough idea that Volvo B7R costs 40+ Lakhs, But what about others?

Also, Post some images of your Buses soon. If i come to your place someday, I'll travel through your Tour Services and check out the buses. Discounts, Remember?

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #3
That is great raj. Tata has recently acquired another brand, You can check those buses too! Anyways, From what all modifications you have mentioned, Looks like you have almost turned Ashok Leyland Bus to Volvo Levels!
are you talking about marcopolo? well, i checked those buses too & the best way to describe them is boring! they will suit staff carrying or school bus operations.

other thing is that everybody advised me against tata as their service & reliability is not as good as AL.

Can you tell us the pricing of these buses like Ashok Leyland, Volvos, Tatas etc, ...No! I'm not planning to buy oneImage Just out of curosity. I've rough idea that Volvo B7R costs 40+ Lakhs, But what about others?
AL & tata chassis cost roughly the same. infact tata is cheaper by 30-40,000. a full length chassis costs around 9.5 lakhs, mini bus chassis costs around 7.5 lakhs.

and what did you say? a volvo B7R for 40 lakhs? [shock]
a volvo B7R costs 95 lakhs on road in kerela!

Also, Post some images of your Buses soon. If i come to your place someday, I'll travel through your Tour Services and check out the buses. Discounts, Remember? Image
pics will take time as bus body building takes some time.

discounts- of course! [:)]

It will be a great experience buying buses!

Thanks for sharing the basic concepts of how to buy a bus :)

And as far i heard Volvo B7R costs 80 Lakhs Ex Showroom.

And did you go to dealer for taking this buses or from Plant itself ?

350Z

Core Team
and what did you say? a volvo B7R for 40 lakhs?
a volvo B7R costs 95 lakhs on road in kerela!
Yeah! I remember reading it in some issue of ACI a year back.
It was around 40lacs or maybe max. 60lacs, but I don't think it was more than that.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #6
It will be a great experience buying buses!

Thanks for sharing the basic concepts of how to buy a bus :)

And as far i heard Volvo B7R costs 80 Lakhs Ex Showroom.

And did you go to dealer for taking this buses or from Plant itself ?
thanks zinam.

we are taking it from the plant itself as dealers are much more expensive.

Yeah! I remember reading it in some issue of ACI a year back.
It was around 40lacs or maybe max. 60lacs, but I don't think it was more than that.

Drive Safe!
350Z
vibs, a normal tata globus (AC bus with air suspension) costs 40 lakhs ex-showroom!

you can check any volvo website or dealer for the B7R's price.

Like the topic name, the topic is very interesting. It should be a great experience buying buses. AFAIK Ashok leyland buses are better than Tata in many aspects.

Till now, i thought air suspension was for all sides.

How much did the entire bus cost?

Arun

Suspended
Rajeev, add neons to the bus.[lol!]

Of what you have described it seems it'll be one heck of a bus!
Once we have many TAI members we'll push them into the bus and haul them around somewhere. What say? [lol!]

Update:

Air suspension from wheels india is finalised. each kit costs Rs. 1.85 lakhs including installation charges.

a preview of what it looks like can be had below-
I didn't get the Each kit thing.

Does it mean that it's 1.85 lakh per suspension unit ?? or 1.85 lakhs for 2 suspension units???

350Z

Core Team
Update:

Air suspension from wheels india is finalised. each kit costs Rs. 1.85 lakhs including installation charges.

a preview of what it looks like can be had below-
Congrats! Waiting to see the final product! [:)]

great thing raj,
btw, your taking this bus for family purpose or for some other reason?
He owns Tour & Travel Services, So the buses are for same purpose.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Arun

Suspended
Imagine taking your family in a bus! You be driving, wife in the cleaners seat, kids in the back. [lol!] Real fun, eh napster?

Is it the front or the rear suspension? Just curious. [stupid]

Top Bottom