Defective Ford Figo: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
I bought my New Ford Figo 1.5D Titanium Plus on November 30,2015. I chose the Figo after trying out a wide range of cars like Jetta, Xuv, Octavia with no pre-determined budget. I being an automobile enthusiast was deeply impressed with the handling, braking and performance characteristics of the Figo. The car was really impressive and has covered 30,000 kms. The service has been good till now though it required escalation at some stages. I was so impressed with the car and cheap maintenance that I had recommended it to my relatives and friends who were in the market for a new car. But the trust I had on the car was shattered when it suffered 3 breakdowns within a short span of 1 month. I will explain about the break downs my car suffered:

1)On 19.03.2017 I was descending from Kodaikanal(an hill station in TN). I noticed a vast reduction in the pick up of my vehicle as if something was being towed by it. Then I stopped my car on a decline and to my utter shock the car was moving upwards on a decline in neutral as opposed to normally move downward when the brake was released(the engine was running at that time). The car was towed by a Ford Roadside Assistance vehicle and the LOWER PART OF THE BUMPER WAS SCRAPPED while loading on the tow vehicle. The car reached Akshaya Ford, Madurai the same evening and the car was inspected the next morning. Everything was found to be normal at that time and was told to take delivery. But I was not satisfied with the response and informed the SA that I am going to contact Ford India about it. Then the Manager of the workshop informed that the vehicle would be inspected again with the help of Ford Technical Hotline. As my place of residence was near to Coimbatore I asked for the vehicle to be towed there but the manager assured me that no problem would occur in between and even if it would occur then it would be towed to Coimbatore. I was very reluctant to drive till Coimbatore but had no other option. So we reached the Coimbatore showroom on 20.03.2017 evening. The job card was filled on 21.03.2017 and they also found the vehicle to be normal and the vehicle was ready for delivery. My real concern was there has been an issue so severe that I had to tow the vehicle but was being told the vehicle was normal SINCE THE ISSUE HAD RECURRED. It was a major safety issue as the problem itself had not been diagnosed. Slightly frustrated I contacted Ford India and was assured they will look into it. To my extreme disappointment I was not contacted by anyone for 2-3 days and my emails were also left unanswered. They promised me to paint the bumper and this was also not done. Again with no other option I took delivery of the car on 25.03.2017.

2)On 02.04.2017 there was a second brake down. The vehicle refused to start and was towed to Coimbatore. On 03.04.2017 I was informed that a PCB relay has been damaged and that the part was not in stock. The SA told me that the vehicle would be delivered by 05.04.2017 evening but was finally delivered on 06.04.2017.

3)On 23.04.2017 the vehicle had a third break down and has been towed again to the service center. To my horror they scrapped the bumper agin while loading in the tow vehicle. It was the second issue being repeated itself. on 24.04.2017 I received a call from the service center they would speak with the company as the car is having multiple issues.

These 3 break downs has shaken the trust on my car and I am not confident of driving it as the 1st issue has not yet been identified. I was seriously contemplating about booking the Endeavor but the plans have been put on hold. Even at this juncture I am impressed with the New Figo but my own vehicle vehicle is defective(there is a difference in not liking the Figo as a whole). Cars are not just material things, we buy a car only when it strikes a bond with us. I have request Ford India to replace my Figo with a new car from the 1st break down as they cannot even identify the issue, let alone rectifying it. They have been very lethargic in solving the issue and this is not the kind of service I as a customer expect. I am firm on my stand and have requested to replace my car(after the 3rd breakdown) with a new vehicle. All is well when the vehicle has no issues but the moment an issue things change for worse. Ford has been advertising a lot about its new service initiatives, what Ford needs to do is satisfy every customer and retain the trust they have in Ford vehicles rather than going for advertisements. Maybe the disastrous ASS experience is why its products are not able to sell in appreciable numbers.

Last edited:
Re: Ford Figo- Defective Product

Recently I have read so many bad product feedback from Form cars in both TAI and teambhp that I really doubt the reliability of new Ford cars. Also the ASS experience though good for some, have been disastrous for many. Hope Ford takes it seriously or customers wouldn't value them.

Thread Starter #3

Yes I too think the same. With the aim of cost cutting they are reducing the quality of products. As I stated above the ASS experience is good if there is no issues but the moment an issue occurs things get disastrous. I even had the dreaded left side pulling issue and later got it rectified by doing alignment outside the service center. They don't even have the expertise to solve a simple alignment issue

Thats bad on Ford's part. The moment there is a major issue with the car, majority of the dealers and manufacturers go into hiding after claiming that there is nothing wrong with the car.

This really shouldn't be the case. When a person invests their hard earned money in a quality product, customer service should be top notch. Sue them if they can't help you solve the issue and come to an appropriate solution.

Thread Starter #6

What was the issue at the 3rd breakedown?
The car did not start and I suspect it to be the same PCB relay issue. The battery was in working condition as the power window, horn were all working. Yet to get information on this from the service center. Will update once I get some information.

kkn13

Suspended

This is not good at all
I also have to purchase two cars - one SUV/mid size SUV and a FTD hatchback/CUV/Psuedo Compact SUV with good space etc
I was considering Endeavour/Tucson/Fortuner and Ford Figo/Ecosport/Ertiga/Swift(upcoming 2017 model)/Brezza
Seeing the other thread- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ver-defective-horror-story-ford-ecosport.html
and now this

Im gonna seriously stick to Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Maruti only
My dad and I were hell bent on the Endy and Ecosport

I know this is a bit off topic but check this thread-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...rt-1-6-lakhs-damage-update-resolved-ford.html

Seems Ford isnt totally turning a blind eye like VW, Skoda,JLR and the other Germans often do

(@ mods sorry if this isnt allowed, just thought itd help OP, remove it if its not allowed)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

@kkn13 the cars from Ford are good but with the pathetic service levels they cannot expect their cars to sell in huge numbers.

Sad to hear this! Yes, it's a good company and good product, but the maintenance speaks all about it. After all it's a machine and if it's not maintained well, nothing can help. By maintenance, I mean the FASS here and not the user.

So, what is the latest update on this issue?

kkn13

Suspended

@kkn13 the cars from Ford are good but with the pathetic service levels they cannot expect their cars to sell in huge numbers.
Of course !! I agree with that totally
I loved the Endeavour and Ecosport but these 2 threads have scared me and my dad too

We generally stick to the 3 Japs- Maruti, Honda and Toyota and wanted to change from these 3 brands (since we are bored, no ownership issues whatsoever)
Seems Tucson is our next car hopefully

Maybe endeavour or ecosport in future (Looking to purchase another car this year too)

My dad didnt know about Figo facelift until I showed him the Figo Sport last week and he loved the looks and engine specs(for my use)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
I have also posted about this issue on social media. Seeing my post a representative from Ford contacted me. He patiently asked about my issue and I was firm that I need a replacement for my defective product. The representative informed me that he would get back after discussing with the higher ups. I have already given enough time for the service center to rectify the issues but they have failed to do so and am not confident of driving it any more. Hope they resolve the issue at the earliest in an amicable manner.

Last edited:
I have also posted about this issue on social media. Seeing my post a representative from Ford contacted me. He patiently asked about my issue and I was firm that I need a replacement for my defective product. The representative informed me that he would get back after discussing with the higher ups. I have already given enough time for the service center to rectify the issues but they have failed to do so and am not confident of driving it any more. Hope they resolve the issue at the earliest in an amicable manner.
Since you already drove for 30k+ kms its not logical and practical to expect a new​ car as a replacement. But the kind of hassles new owners have went through is disappointing. Hope they resolve and give you some gifts as a compensation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #13
Since you already drove for 30k+ kms its not logical and practical to expect a new​ car as a replacement. But the kind of hassles mew owners have went through is disappointing. Hope they resolve and give you some gifts as a compensation :)
Will you take your family for a road trip in a car that you don't know when it will break down, it has broken down thrice in a period of 1 month. Worse still they have not yet identified the cause of the 1st break down. This take it easy policy is what makes manufacturers neglect the importance of customer satisfaction, imagine what would have happened if it was in US or UK. What use will the gifts be of when you face such an inconvenience with your family. Actually when I go out with my family I take my other car, Maruti Swift which is running perfectly for 5 years. This shows the confidence I have in my car.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
I am yet hear from the representative who called me yesterday or from the service center. I have sent an e-mail to Mr.Anurag Mehrotra with a belief that my issue will be resolved. Waiting with the fingers crossed.

Top Bottom