My New Diesel Hatch: Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O)

Thread Starter #1
Background and Buying Overview:

It was in june 2013,we decided to buy a new car(diesel) with a budget of 7 to 9 lacs. So hatchbacks and compact sedans were considered.Our yearly running is around 25-30k,so fuel efficiency is one of the important parameter for us.

After multiple test drives of almost all cars in the segment,we narrowed it down to
1)Honda Amaze S (7.75 lakh OTR)
2)Ford figo titanium(6.75 lakh OTR)

Paying 1 lakh more for Amaze,i get powerful engine,better space and fuel efficiency but would lose out on Airbags,alloys,fog lamps when compared to figo titanium.So this was a never ending confusion and to confuse us more,came the ECOSPORT(I thank Ford for launching the ecosport to delay my purchase,for ending up buying the perfect car for me[:D])

July 1 2013,booked Ecosport titanium diesel,10 lakhs OTR. After 2 months of painful waiting,price hike,feature deletion,dealer monopoly cancelled the booking on September 5.

Now the best part,Hyundai launches GRAND I10,had a detailed test drive and booked the top variant, Asta(O) on september 7 and delivered on October 5

OTR price:7.25 lakhs(no discount)
But Dealer gave free mats,mud flaps(yet to arrive),Idol and car perfume,but got shocked to see no spare headlight bulbs,as per dealer hyundai dint provide spare bulbs for Grand(need to confirm this)

Now,let me write in brief about the car.

Exteriors and Design:

First thing you will notice is the fluidic design is toned down in Grand. I personally do not like overdone fluidic look of other hyundais. Car looks more European than Korean. Design is modern and refreshing.

Build quality is good,doors close with a mild 'THUD'.Panel gaps are consistent and paint quality is top notch

Interiors and Features:
This has always been a plus point in all hyundai cars and the trend is carried over to Grand.
Quality of plastics,fit and finish is excellent.
Also there is a long feature list like bluetooth,1gb internal storage,rear ac vents(segment first in a hatch),push button start and keyless entry,folding OVRMs,reverse parking sensors,cooled glove box,1 litre bottle holders in all 4 doors[clap]. Also i love the blue illumination of the dash

Space and Comfort:
Grand is a spacious hatch,rear legroom is one of the best in a hatchback.
Front seats offer good support and rear seat recline angle is very good making passengers comfortable on a long drive.Hyundai has provided fixed head rests for front seats(cost cutting) and adjustable for rear.Boot is adequate(256L) and boot light is present.

Engine and Performance:
Hyundai has done a great job in controlling NVH levels,you would hardly feel it is a 3 cylinder oil burner.What impresses is the strong low and mid range power delivery,it's a breeze to drive in heavy traffic with minimal gear shifts. Turbo lag is neglible and there is no turbo kick like my sx4(i miss it though). Top end performance is not adequate i feel,car feels sluggish after 120km/h.I will update the fuel efficiency figures after a tankfull,car has run only 100km now

Ride and Handling:
Guess for the first time in INDIA,hyundai has got the right balance between ride and handling. Suspension is not very soft like other hyundais,resulting in better handling(though not in league of swift or figo).Steering is on lighter side,but offers little feedback.Ride quality is also good,theres no thuds on potholes like verna or i20.
Straight line stability is excellent,whats really impressing are the brakes

What I like:
1)Modern design
2)Excellent interior quality,fit and finish
3)Strong low end punch and mid range
4)Spacious cabin
5)powerful stock headlamps
6)Aggressive brakes
7)Neutral ride & handling

What i wish to have:
1)Auto Ac
2)Adjustable front headrests
3)Flexible grab handles
4)MID(fuel consumption,distance to empty etc)

What i don't like:
1)Less than adequate top end performance

Additional details:
1)Turbocharger is integrated to exhaust manifold(make:Honeywell)
2)ABS unit,make is Hyundai china(my sx4 has BOSCH made ABS module)
3)Grand doesn't have typical anti theft siren,it has an extra horn which goes on during intrusion
Now let the pictures talk[:)]

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: My new diesel hatch: Hyundai grand i0 asta(o)

Congratulations buddy WIsh you many happy and safe miles ahead.Welcome aboard the Grand owners club. You are the first diesel grand owner on TAI.
What do you exactly mean by this
"3)Grand doesn't have typical anti theft siren,it has an extra horn which goes on during intrusion"

Congratulations bro on the purchase of your sweet ride.
My dad and me are planning to go to the hyundai showroom tomorrow to check out the grand i10. I am totally in love with this car but now keeping my fingers crossed that my dad also likes it so that we can finalize of the purchase.

Thread Starter #4

Congratulations buddy WIsh you many happy and safe miles ahead.Welcome aboard the Grand owners club. You are the first diesel grand owner on TAI.
What do you exactly mean by this
"3)Grand doesn't have typical anti theft siren,it has an extra horn which goes on during intrusion"
I am telling about the siren sound,lock your grand using smart key and go beyond distance of 30 feet,remove the skeleton key from smart key and keep smart key there itself and go unlock your car using keyhole..grand will stark honking,usually other cars have a burglar alarm

Thread Starter #7
0-100 performance test of Grand diesel:
Hyundai claimed: 15.6 sec
Overdrive: 15.2 sec
Autocar:20.25 sec
Car india:23.55 sec

How come so much difference in timing?
It depends on perfect shifts,no point revving this car,shift early to 3 rd and 4th to extract maximum performance
I felt 4 th gear has good power,accelerates quickly from 60-100

Last edited:
Congratulations!! Very impressive interior quality - looks very german I'd say. In case you take it out on ghats, I'm interested in knowing how it performs with full load (5 adults) on the ghats. Hyundai has focussed a lot on in-city drivability - the low-end torque must make it so easy to drive that I saw an old couple driving the Grand i10 diesel in Bangalore.

Did you get any anti-corrosion treatment done ?

PS: The only thing I don't like is the chrome door handles whch look out of place on this hatch (just like Punto Emotion).

Congratulations nkonamme, wishing you happy miles in your ride.
Your report is crisp and to the point, only point I would like to mention here is did you already reach 120 Kmph in your new ride [;)], please remember you are still in run in mode keep those engine revs low [thumbswink]

Thread Starter #10
@bopanna : Grand picks up well on steep inclines,thanks to low end torque which is available from 1500 rpm. I have not yet done underbody coating
@negativeCamber: I have not exceeded 100kmph,grand cruises at 2400rpm in 5 th gear @ 100kmph

@nkonamme, [clap]
Congratulations on your new ride! I think you have made a excellent choice as you have tested some of the good competition out there !
What about the safety package on grand? No info on airbags ?

Thread Starter #14
@rakeshkn: will do that for sure.

Happy news for Grand diesel owners,fuel filter replace interval is 20k kms,while in verna & i20 diesel it's 10k kms.

Thread Starter #15
Self discovered feature: Power window functions for certain time(30sec) after switching off the engine,this was not mentioned in brochure.

@Hyundai car owners: if theres any extra features/tricks please share

Top Bottom