I am a little late in penning this initial ownership review, but then again its good as given me nearly 20 days to experience the vehicle at hand and possibly provide a better feedback.
Readers would be aware of my exercise to select the next hatch for my better half (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...etic-blue.html
). The detailed TD experience and feedback I received from other subscribers to the above thread was really helpful.
Beginning of the year, I was able to sell the Chevy Spark and at my expected price. What I understood was that if you have time and have really looked after your vehicle, even non-maruti vehicles will get a good price. Just don't hurry and don't go in for the dealers (exchange or otherwise). The exchange bonuses offered are generally hog-wash and you will probably walk away with the same benefits if you bargain hard.
The sale of the Spark started in earnest the search of the next car. At the same time, I received word for the Ford SE I had been corresponding with that they had a Dec'12 Figo D Titanium K Blue (wife's preferred color) in stock. I had previously visited the Ford ASS
near my place and had talked to many Figo owners who had come for servicing. Feedback were positive and the attitude of the SA etc. were quite good and they let me inspect the cars being serviced and washed. This helped a great deal as it in a way build up my confidence on FASS.
The Sales person offered me a good price, which was about Rs.15K lower than what I was offered in Nov last year and after a few minor negotiation we finalized the deal.
What I got:
1) Figo D Titanium (Dec '12)
2) Free Figo foot mats + Mud flaps
3) 3 year extended warranty
Later I included the 5 year Scheduled Service Plan (SSP) for Rs.17,623/-.
Made the PDI inspection in a couple of days, checked the car was truly Dec'12 manufacture + the other things. The SBI car loan was passed in exactly 3 days (surprised and pleased) and the SE did most of the leg work (again very pleased).
There was a delay of 3-4 days for the WB registration (PVD, Beltata) and ultimately got the delivery on 2-Feb 2013.
On the delivery day, reached the showroom (Kaikan Ford) at about 1:30 PM. SE was waiting and explained all the documents etc. Also refunded Rs.1200/- as had been charged extra. There was about 30 mins delay due to the car being readied and temp number plates being fixed (tin ones, not the paper stuff some companies stick now a days). The SE filled it up with exactly 5 lts of diesel from a jerry can in front of me and the fuel gauge remained at 0. When I filled her up immediately after delivery, it took another 44.9 lts. So the tank capacity is 50 lts (not 45 lts as in the manual), but 5 lts don't register on your gauge (emergency :-)).
Before delivery, the SE explained the feature of the car to my wife, while I tried to inspect the body, glass etc. for any dings/dongs etc. (they would have driven it to the showroom from the stockyard) so wanted to be sure. All were in order. We synced our phone to the music system which was effortless. Then there was a short photo session of the SE handling over the keys to my wife which they printed quickly and presented to us in a glass frame with a box of chocolates. I had taken a small gift for the SE, which we gave to him. Rest of it happened effortlessly and we left the showroom by 4:30 PM.
Filled her up, took her round way through the Rajarhat connector, through Salt Lake and returned home.
Experience so far:
1) Initial starting in the morning, the engine noise is very audible however soon gets drowned with road noise. Sticking with 30 sec warm up engine idle before starting the day and end day 30 sec idle running.
2) With the windows rolled up, very little noise filters inside. NVL is minimum and lesser than Maruti Swift.
3) Very good stability and handling at 100+ km/hr speed. This is what I am enjoying. More sure footed than my Honda Jazz - Jazz is more comfortable though.
4) Getting mileage of about 13.8-14 km/lt , which given the engine is new and the roads I travel is oK. This is with 50% AC. Expect this to go up to 16 km/lt with the engine settling in.
5) Discovered wax type material in the door drain holes. Probably door treatment has been done by Ford to increase noise insulation and stop rust.
6) Column mounted audio controls are easier to use once you get used to it. AC is quite good and though its not hot yet in Kolkata, keeping it at the lowest setting works for now. AC refrigerant is R-410A which is the environment friendly one.
7) No problem with GC so far. Initially one of the factors I was concerned about, but now confidence is growing.
8) Seats are well supported and the fabric is excellent. Will have them covered with Seat covers soon though.
9) Comparing external size, good amount space all round. I am 5'11'' and have no problem sitting in the front or back.
10) Music system - the default setting are worthless and generally pour out too much bass. You have to tweak the setting/equalizer to suit something you like. Its OK for me but would not suit a audiophile. Also default speakers are non-standard size and hence replacements not readily available in India.
11) No rattles etc. yet from the car.
Have fitted sleep door/kick plates, star foot mats, steering cover and door guards in the last weeks. Seat cover is pending.
All in all I am quite satisfied with the car. Hopefully satisfaction level will remain.