DIY - How To Remove Sunfilms From Your Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

As you all know that Gov't has implemented a rule to remove sun film on our car.[anger]
Any way we could not save the money as the sun films are peeled off, why not save money atleast when they are to be remove, people are charging around 200 - 400 rs, so here I start a DIY to remove them..

Tools needed, 2 paint blades (1 small and 1 big), 100 ml petrol\kerosene\diesel, one normal pencil blade.

Total cost not more than 30 rs. [evil]

Here are some pic's :

Tools Used :
Tools (1).jpg

Tools (2).jpg

Tools (3).jpg

Picture taken when photo installed..
Sun Film Installed.jpg

Need to cut the sun film at the corner of the glass and start pulling it slowly..
Peeloff.jpg

After Remove, the gum of the sun film would be present on the glass, just clean it with kerosene (I have used, you can also use petrol/ diesel)

Small glass peel.jpg

Final one, after cleaning ,plain glass..

Rear Finished.jpg

Hope this thread is useful... [:D]

I will post some more pic's later

350Z

Core Team
Re: DIY - How to remove sun film on your car

Fantastic. Thanks a lot for this DIY. +1 repute since it is going to save us from being exploited at accessories shops which are asking as much as 200 bucks for the job.

Drive Safe,
350Z

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Another user jalex posted this in this thread.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...rs-no-sunfilms-allowed-4th-may-2012-a-12.html

Came across this: How to safely remove sun film from cars | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice

Might be helpful for a D.I.Y Sun Control Film Removal and I guess you can see that its not going to be a neat job if done by the Cops after flagging you down for violation.

How to remove sun film from side glasses

Step 1: Clear the window of all clutter and obstructions such as roller blinds etc.

Step 2: Park the car in the sun for a few hours till the windows are really hot

Step 3: If you have a steam blower or hair-dryer, use this to blow hot steam or hot air directly on the window film.

Step 4: Using a flat razor blade, pick one corner of the film by slicing parallel with the glass to lift up the film’s edge.

Step 5: Continue using the hair dryer or steam blower on the film and keep peeling it back from one side. The more heat you use on the film, the more easily it will come off.

Step 6: Some bits of film may still stick to the glass. To remove this you will need to spray it with an ammonia-based spray like Mo-Kleen or Mr. Muscle.

Step 7: After you spray the sticky bits, use the razor blade at an angle to gently scrape the sticky bits of film and the glue away from the glass.

Step 8: Spray the entire window with an ammonia-based spray and then wipe it with a micro-fibre towel.

Step 9: Use soapy water made with any household detergent to wash off the ammonia spray and bits of glue. Dry the window using a clean cloth or chamois leather.

Step 10: Using a commercial glass cleaner (like Colin), spray the window and buff it with a micro-fibre towel to restore its shine and remove any tiny scratches from the surface.

How to remove sun film from front and rear windscreen

Removing the sun film from a rear windscreen that has an in-built defogger or a built-in embedded radio antenna in the glass is a tricky job. Since the defogger and the antenna are actually tiny copper based paint strips or copper wires stuck on to the glass, when you peel film off the window, you actually risk cutting the defogger or destroying the radio antenna as well.

Step 1: First you will have to soften the film entirely, for this get a sheet of plastic or many old plastic bags or garbage bags.

Step 2: Put some newspaper on the dashboard or the rear-parcel tray. Spray the entire window with a strong ammonia-based cleaner (Mo-Kleen or Mr. Muscle). You can also get ammonium solution from a chemist and dilute it slightly to use.

Step 3: Place the old plastic bags or garbage bags over the ammonia-solution soaked film and leave it like that for about an hour or two, with the car parked in the sun. The sun will heat the glass, while the plastic bags will prevent the ammonia solution from evaporating and will instead allow the corrosive solution to soak into the window film and dislodge the film’s glue.

Step 4: Take a flat razor blade and keeping as parallel to the glass as you can gently lift the film from one corner where there are no defogger strips or antenna wires.

Step 5: Keep pulling the film gently and continuously keep spraying the ammonia solution on it as you pull to keep the glue from drying up.

Step 6: Once the entire film has been removed from the glass spray it liberally with ammonia spray and use a rubber wiper or magic-wipe kitchen towel to remove any sticky bits of glue.

Step 7: Use good glass cleaning solution and spray the glass liberally. Wipe it clean with a micro-fibre towel to restore its shine and remove any fine scratches or bits of glue left behind.

Source:Cartoq – Honest Car Advice

Thank you fellow TAI'ans for a DIY that is quite relevant in India following the orders from the Hon. Supreme Court .
I feel this Do It Yourself activity to be very much helpful for all TAI'ans

You can also try silicon remover , sold in paint shop , 280/ per lit

Does the job clean.

Other branded are there , but costlier.

i generally buy for our work at car paint shop , no idea if sold in other paint shop..

Good diy varun.

Thread Starter #9
Here are some more pic's

How to start peeling of the sun film, I have done it on front glass..

Just need to start from the corner end with a blade and slowly pull it then it is done.. [;)]

How to peel.jpg

The toughest one
-
Some times, this type of sticky thing with sun film color stays on the glass, so just apply kerosene start scratching with the paint blade slowly, almost 90% of the glass will be cleaned, then use the cloth to clean it.

Glass after the sun film removed..
Sticky gum (2).jpg

Quarter panel glass -
I had to remove the grill to remove the sun film, same procedure as mentioned above.

Quartepannel glass.jpg

Finally how the car looks with out sun film - IMO very bad..[frustration]

Final pic.jpg

At the last please use colin / any glass cleaner to clean the stains on the glass..

Attachments

Thread Starter #10
Thanks every one..

Me too was thinking to use a hair drier, but dint have one.. It is not so much necessary.. It is only necessary when the sun film is old and peeling off would be easier after heating..

Cars with rear defogger please use hair drier as it may also peel of the mercury strips of the defogger which causes it not to work..

Re: DIY - How to remove sun film on your car

Fantastic. Thanks a lot for this DIY. +1 repute since it is going to save us from being exploited at accessories shops which are asking as much as 200 bucks for the job.

Drive Safe,
350Z
My cousin was quoted Rs.600 or removing the tints off his Ritz. He has some premium ones and its the low cost ones that are harder to remove.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
so finally had to remove tints from my car as well , i removed myself [:D] and there was no sticky thing just some lines . easily cleaned through colin.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i installed a tint on my car and asked the guy if it was good or not. i meant if it will block heat or not.

he said " bhaiya ji , very good film , its very easy to remove , won't leave any glue" [lol]

i mean his job is to apply and remove and he will reply in that context only [;)]

Top Bottom