Suggest Replacement Options for LML Graptor (Booked Yamaha R15 v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I am looking to replace my LML Graptor which served us (me and my brother) very well for last 8 years without any problems. But lately there are some minor problems and it might need some new parts and since LML does not sell that bike anymore it will be very hard to find the parts.

So we have decided to replace our bike which my brother will be using as i am not in India. And it has to be a pulsar.

Now the thing is that i am getting an offer for a pulsar 220 2010 model. It's Black and has only 7500 Kms on it and the asking price is about 60K and there is another similar kind of offer on a red one.

So now i need help on whether i should go for the used 220 or for a new 180.
Is this a good deal for the pulsar 220? Coz i guess the new pulsar 220 is around 92K
And if not then wat should be the ideal price for this deal?

Also i wanted to know what is the FE for the 220, if anyone owns a pulsar 220.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Suggest Replacement Options for LML Graptor

Forgot to mention about my budget. I am looking to spend about 60-70K from my pocket and rest i am getting around 13-15K for my Graptor. So that makes my overall budget around 80-85K.

Thread Starter #4

Hello Everyone

I am looking to replace my LML Graptor which served us (me and my brother) very well for last 8 years without any problems. But lately there are some minor problems and it might need some new parts and since LML does not sell that bike anymore it will be very hard to find the parts.
Buddy Pulsar 150 or 180 may be the suitable bike.I recommend 150 to everyone because overall..its really the best bike on sale in India.
It has all,power,performance,FE and low maintenance...which makes it a great package.
Its for no reason that this is the bestseller in the segment.

So we have decided to replace our bike which my brother will be using as i am not in India. And it has to be a pulsar.
Already as said above..

Now the thing is that i am getting an offer for a pulsar 220 2010 model. It's Black and has only 7500 Kms on it and the asking price is about 60K and there is another similar kind of offer on a red one.
Leave both of them.If you are searching for a used bike then take your time,this will get you the best deal.Also these bikes are on expensive side.Pulsar 220 has a BAD resale value and a two year old bike is not more than 50k machine.
And yes,its a Pulsar and hence never expect her to live peacefully without visiting mechanic every thousand kilometers or two.There is some issue with chain sprocket,and take strict care of any leakages from engine.The leakage from a black cap fitted on the engine just above the right spark plug.If its there then leave the bike or take its price down by 3-4k.

Instead of the 2010,you must try to search for a 2011(beginning) like mine.

So now i need help on whether i should go for the used 220 or for a new 180.
Is this a good deal for the pulsar 220? Coz i guess the new pulsar 220 is around 92K
New 180 is the bike to go for,used 220 is okay.But I can assure you than new 180 is also good.It has lower maintenance,better FE and nearly same dynamics as of 220.
Go for 220 only if you find a good deal.Most of the 220's in market are the ones owned by teenagers and have got good engine massage at even 5k kms with stunts,sprints etc etc.

And if not then wat should be the ideal price for this deal?
At most 45-50k,instead you can get far far better deal for 60k.
For 60k you can get any 6-7k kms ran bike that also under warranty.

Also i wanted to know what is the FE for the 220, if anyone owns a pulsar 220.
Believe me or not,but if the rider is sensible then this bike gives:-
45+ kpl on highway.
35-40 kpl in city in normal speed riding(80-110 kph)

While with sedate riding the city FE increases even further,but highway FE can never be expected to reach 50 mark.

Thread Starter #6

Buddy Pulsar 150 or 180 may be the suitable bike.I recommend 150 to everyone because overall..its really the best bike on sale in India.
It has all,power,performance,FE and low maintenance...which makes it a great package.
Its for no reason that this is the bestseller in the segment.
Totally agree on the FE and maintenance part. This something i have always heard from my friends who own 150.

Leave both of them.If you are searching for a used bike then take your time,this will get you the best deal.Also these bikes are on expensive side.Pulsar 220 has a BAD resale value and a two year old bike is not more than 50k machine.
And yes,its a Pulsar and hence never expect her to live peacefully without visiting mechanic every thousand kilometers or two.There is some issue with chain sprocket,and take strict care of any leakages from engine.The leakage from a black cap fitted on the engine just above the right spark plug.If its there then leave the bike or take its price down by 3-4k.

Instead of the 2010,you must try to search for a 2011(beginning) like mine.
Considering the FE and resale value the 220 pulsar is out of the list now as my brother and parents discussed about it and talked to few other people and after reading reviews about it.My brother has 3 220's in his circle and all his friends said that their FE in city is not even 30. Also thanks to you as for answering all the queries buddy.

New 180 is the bike to go for,used 220 is okay.But I can assure you than new 180 is also good.It has lower maintenance,better FE and nearly same dynamics as of 220.
Go for 220 only if you find a good deal.Most of the 220's in market are the ones owned by teenagers and have got good engine massage at even 5k kms with stunts,sprints etc etc.
Yes that's exactly what is going in my mind right now buddy as it will be bit powerful then our current bike and FE will be better then the 220 as well.

Rest there has been a new contender in your list and that is Yamaha R15.

So my brother will be going to take a TD for the Pulsar 150, 180 and R15.
Will update more once he takes the TD of these bikes.

Buddy,although this question is a bit personal but can you tell me the age of your brother?
Secondly has he owned any bigger bike like Pulsar 180 etc before?

If not,then I'd recommend to keep away from 220.This bike really sends the rider out of mind if he becomes even 1% emotional.

About FE,the guys saying 30- FE in city are either telling lies or don't know riding.Because I have never got below 35 in city on my 220.It can go to 30 in only excessively dense streets where one can't even walk freely.

Thread Starter #8

Buddy,although this question is a bit personal but can you tell me the age of your brother?
Secondly has he owned any bigger bike like Pulsar 180 etc before?
So far my brother has only owned the LML Graptor but yes he does rides his friends karizma, 220 sometimes and he is 23.

If not,then I'd recommend to keep away from 220.This bike really sends the rider out of mind if he becomes even 1% emotional.
That's not the case with him, he never drives like a crazy guy or try to race with his friends on a busy highway or so. He drives really carefully. No matter if its our Graptor or any of his friends 220 or Karizma.

About FE,the guys saying 30- FE in city are either telling lies or don't know riding.Because I have never got below 35 in city on my 220.It can go to 30 in only excessively dense streets where one can't even walk freely.
That might be the case since all his friends live right inside the heart of the city which are really densely populated.
And also one of his friend drives really bad.

BTW what about R15?

Thread Starter #9

So here is another update, my brother went for a TD yesterday and the bikes TD were Pulsar 150 and Yamaha R15. He wanted to TD 180 as well but was not offered the bike by the SE saying" Sir both the bikes are alike and 180 has just 2 points more power".

Anyways here is a quick TD report.

So the first TD was the Pulsar 150. And luckily he got a brand new bike for the test drive. But they only allowed a short TD and hence my brother could not push her above 60, since the roads were congested but he managed to till 60.

He felt that the power was bit low and the throttle was not that responsive and also the engine was bit noisy. But the overall pickup was okay as compared to our current bike. The seating position for the driver as well as the passenger are well adjusted and you have enough space for the passenger as well but since we have a small handle, my brother felt it bit uncomfortable. Brakes were quite responsive but does not give you much of a confidence.

About the looks the 2012 pulsar comes with dual tone color, so some people like it and some don’t. Well my brother felt that the bike looks nice with the dual tone, also the black alloys make the looks better.
Rest the bike has a good FE, low maintenance; spare parts are easily available and has a good resale value as well. And according to the SE he can deliver the bike in 1-2 days.

So after the TD my brother and the SE came back to the dealership and my brother asked for the 180 TD but the SE said that “Sir both the bikes are same and 180 has 2 points more power” and that our truck has just arrived, so we will be busy taking the stock delivery. So if you want you can come tomorrow.

So my brother was bit frustrated and left the showroom. He was mad at the SE for not letting him take a proper TD and then not providing him 180 for TD. And on top of that the SE says “that both the bikes are same” when they are not. So he simply left after asking few questions like:
How much time for the delivery: 1-2 days for 150 and a week for 180 if the color we want is not in the stock.
Any discounts: No discounts but will provide sarree guard and under body guard

Then my brother went to Yamaha Dealership for taking the TD for R15. SE welcomed him and asked if he wants water or something to drink, as it was really hot that day. And then he provided all the information for the bike. After that he asked my brother if he wanted a TD.
So my brother was offered the Limited Edition for TD. The bike looks good from most angles and the fatter tire adds more points to the looks of the bike and adds more grip as well. Regarding the Fit and Finish of the bike, it feels really solid and no parts look like a cheap one.
Handling was really good as my brother could drive it with real confidence. And at one point he had to take a U turn and he didn’t even have to put his foot down to take the turn, which was not the case with pulsar. Overall ride was really good but some places he felt it bit stiff, especially going through some potholes. And the throttle response is really good. There was close to no engine sound at 60 km/ph.
And he really liked the seating position, coz according to him the moment he sat on the bike it looked like he got adjusted in the seat itself. Coming to brakes, they are really good and effective hence provides more confidence to the rider.

Comparing to other bikes you will have to lean forward a bit to drive it and the only thing it lacks was the rear seat position. It feels like the rear passenger is sitting on the first floor and you driving it on ground floor.

After the TD they (brother and SE) went back to the dealership and then the regular questions asked.
The delivery time is 7-10 days, if the color we want is not available at that time.
Yamaha provides 6 free services.

Currently they are not providing any discounts but they may consider an exchange offer for the bike. And roughly he quoted 9 -12 K for our bike.
Teflon coating is 700 Rs/-.

Now OTR prices (In Moradabad, UP)

1. Pulsar 150: Rs. 75K
2. Pulsar 180: Rs. 78K
3. Yamaha R15 (Regular): RS. 1.24 Lac
4. Yamaha R15 (Limited Edition): Rs. 1.28 Lac

I would suggest you to stick to Pulsar 150, it's a proven bike no offence to R15 owner's as i feel it's a well engineered product but spending 50k more on pulsar does not sound right to me.

Now OTR prices (In Moradabad, UP)

1. Pulsar 150: Rs. 75K
2. Pulsar 180: Rs. 78K
3. Yamaha R15 (Regular): RS. 1.24 Lac
4. Yamaha R15 (Limited Edition): Rs. 1.28 Lac
Why don't you book a Pulsar 200 NS.

One of my friend has a Pulsar 220, the mileage he gets is 42-45 kmpl.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...200-ns-makes-official-debut-9.html#post169992
Since your budges is now 1.28 Lac, why don't you go for the KTM Duke.

@Singh:
Yamaha R15 is a totally different breed out of all.
Once you ride a R15,you find something missing in every other bike may it be Pulsar 220 or a KTM Duke.
R15 has got best of the ride and handling and with very predictable dynamics and good brakes you find it the safest bike too.Only because of seating position,its not that comfy for long rides,but for short city or highway commutes,the R15 is a fantastic bike.

On the FE and maintenance part too R15 is a good bike and if you people are happy with the bike then nothing comes close to R15 in terms of driving pleasure and all.

In other words,R15 is the bike to go for.

Thread Starter #13

I would suggest you to stick to Pulsar 150, it's a proven bike no offence to R15 owner's as i feel it's a well engineered product but spending 50k more on pulsar does not sound right to me.
That's true buddy but after taking the TD for both the bikes, we can't deny that R15 is far better then the Pulsar 150. That's my personal opinion. And i am looking for pre owned bikes as well. If i get a well maintained bike for a good priceand low kms on ODO then i might go ahead with that.

The reason is that the new R15 has better looks, performance, braking and handling then the 150. But i am still looking for other options.

Since your budges is now 1.28 Lac, why don't you go for the KTM Duke.
Buddy i like the KTM Duke, but somehow my brother does not like the looks of the bike and since he will be using it more then me, i have left the choice on him. that's why we are not considering the Duke.

@Singh:
Yamaha R15 is a totally different breed out of all.
Once you ride a R15,you find something missing in every other bike may it be Pulsar 220 or a KTM Duke.
R15 has got best of the ride and handling and with very predictable dynamics and good brakes you find it the safest bike too.Only because of seating position,its not that comfy for long rides,but for short city or highway commutes,the R15 is a fantastic bike.

On the FE and maintenance part too R15 is a good bike and if you people are happy with the bike then nothing comes close to R15 in terms of driving pleasure and all.

In other words,R15 is the bike to go for.
+100 to that buddy. But we are still looking for 2-3 options like 220, 180. But most probably we should come up with a decision real soon.

Out of Pulsar 180 and 220 I'd recommend 220 any day.

For 10k you spend more in 220 you get 40 cc,4 bhp,oil cooled engine and both discs.Which is really worth some extra cash.
And FE is also not very much different and since your brother is a good driver then he will easily churn out good FE from 220 too.

Out of 220 and ZMR,I'd recommend Karizma ZMR any day.

Out of 220,180,ZMR,R15 and Duke.
Its the R15 which I'd recommend any day and second comes Duke.

Thread Starter #15

Out of Pulsar 180 and 220 I'd recommend 220 any day.

For 10k you spend more in 220 you get 40 cc,4 bhp,oil cooled engine and both discs.Which is really worth some extra cash.
And FE is also not very much different and since your brother is a good driver then he will easily churn out good FE from 220 too.

Out of 220 and ZMR,I'd recommend Karizma ZMR any day.

Out of 220,180,ZMR,R15 and Duke.
Its the R15 which I'd recommend any day and second comes Duke.
Looks like our choices are exactly the same buddy[:)] But the thing is what my brother decides on. So far R15 and 220 are in the decision making circle from my brothers side.

He will be going for a TD of ZMR and 180 next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom