Zen is Stalling Frequently - Help Required (Resolved).

Thread Starter #31
Re: Zen is Stalling Frequently - Help Required.

Thanks a lot will get that done.
Get the injectors cleaned and get the radiator flushed and pressure tested for leaks.Change all the hoses and pipe that would have been damaged due to overheating.
They will ask more money for this. [cry]

Obviously, if you don't want an overheated engine in the future.Its better to get all the work done once.

All these problems arose from inadequate and coolant escaping from the radiator.

If you do not check for leaks how can you be sure it won't happen again?

This should have been the first job the mechanic should have done.

I can understand that all this is going to add up but its really essential.

It will save you a lot of pain in the future.

Cleaning the injectors and adjusting the plugs will help increase fuel efficiency of your car, which in turn will bring down your monthly fuel expenses.

Since the block overheated enough to damage the head gasket it would be good to check the spark plugs for damage as well.

Also once this is done, ask them to adjust the airfuel mixture.You can understand if your car is burning a rich mixture by checking the spark plugs.

If they are black and wet you are burning a rich mixture.They should be brown and dry this indicates normal wear.

Try bargain with the SA, to get the total amount down.

Last edited:

Head is in the lathe.
it need a private lathe to get the job done - your sa is correct.

Check with them for the surface in the head - if found good , ask them not to suface them just cleaning is enough. if surfacing is done - no worries . normally it will be done. i recommend to do only if needed.

valve setting must be adjusted - that is obvious.
installing new valve? - replace if necessary. If yes , ask sa to inform lathe not to use MGP part !! there is a brand called usha and is fine.

replace engine and coolant - coolant by flushing the entire system - replace water pump if slightest corrosion is found in that.

Thread Starter #37

Thanks a lot for your valuable guidance jarpickle and ilango[speed thirst] [:)]

I will talk to SA tomorrow.

Buddy no issue at all,this problem occurs in may cars and what the A.S.S. guys will do is that they will replace some minor electrical components(I forgot its name)and everything will be fine.
Those are something related to the spark plugs..

Hey guys, just got a call from Surfer.

The lathe has reported almost 20%(the SA mentioned it was 20%off 10-12% can be machined) cracks in the head and has asked him to change the head.

The new one costs Appx 13k,add to that the other costs(valve installation etc)

I advised him to go for a second hand head if he could find one.He says he doesn't know where to look.

He is in PUNE.

Can we have some more inputs, thanks.

Thread Starter #42

jarpickle Thanks for update and the Help.

I had call with Lathe workshop person. He told me that there is 14-15% off, so he has started surfacing in which 1% off gets added, He told me that 18% is max so he is tiring his best to keep that around 16 max 17 % , he told me that 90 % chance of getting it repaired. He will be finishing till afternoon 3-4 PM after that he told me that he will give me his final call. He said me that it will be ok. So now will give him a call today EOD

The SA given me quotation of approx 23,500 for new Head and valves and labor
(if required)

Well, it all depends on the lathe guy.If he is skilled enough to do the job and he is confident it will be trouble free then its alright.Only they can verify its integrity.

I was expecting the SA to quote that much.

The cheaper option would be to get a second hand head.

Thread Starter #44

Well, it all depends on the lathe guy.If he is skilled enough to do the job and he is confident it will be trouble free then its alright.Only they can verify its integrity.
He looked quite positive to me. Lets see

I was expecting the SA to quote that much.
yes

The cheaper option would be to get a second hand head.
It is difficult to get that here in pune. Also even if I will get there is still risk , nobody here wants to do genuine job ,everyone wants to make money and didn't care about job quality. so I see a lot risk in this.

I required I will go for new one.

Why don't you ask the lathe guy if he can source a used head in good condition for you.

Compare the total costs and condition of the used head and make a decision.

Top Bottom